photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, March 22, 2010

A Peek into Casa Dolce Vita

image

{This nook in our formal living room features a vintage Bruer chair, Circa Lighting Pimlico Tripod Lamp, Mark Rothko prints in gilded frames, and a convex mirror.)

I often get comments and e-mails from readers asking me to share my own home. For the longest time, I have felt a little evasive about doing so. After all, I am not a designer and felt that there was no way my home could stack up against the gorgeous spaces I post on a regular basis here on La Dolce Vita. After a little introspection, I realized that no one would be holding me up against such a standard. I thought about how much I love getting peeks into other people’s homes and here we are. Overall, I think my home is a good example of how to do a lot on a budget and how to make the most of what you have.

Over the last week, Fabian and I painted our formal living and dining rooms a lovely shade of mocha and changed a few accessories out. Normally, we are Benjamin Moore people, but we tried the new premium Behr paint (in Aging Barrel) from Home Depot and were so impressed with the coverage. The room was a wreck all week while we finished painting and it literally came together about an hour before we had our parents over for dinner to celebrate Tate’s first birthday.

image

{Looking from the Dining Room into the Living Room}

I have the Square Tube Chandelier from Circa Lighting over my dining table which I had just started to set for Tate’s birthday dinner when I took these pictures.

image

I adore these vintage Knoll Brno chairs! We had considered reupholstering them in a cognac leather, but have decided to keep the burnt orange velvet upholstery. At least for now. I am always changing my mind. The fabulous, little aluminum side table is from my favorite place, Tarjay! I scored this little gem for $40 at Target after getting a tip from my friend, Hallie.

House March 2010 & Tate's Bday 159 So, we have a few examples of doing a lot with a little or making the most of what you have here. The framed maps are not vintage, but gift wrap from Cavallini & Co. They are printed on really nice, archival-quality Italian paper and are gorgeous for $5 a pop! We used IKEA frames, so each print ended up costing around $35. Fabian and I love to travel and I am a bit of a linguist, so the maps feel very special and personal to us. I don’t love my sofas…at all. We bought them five years ago when microfiber was a lot more popular and my aesthetic was not what it is today. As much as I would love new sofas, I think I’ll have to wait a little while longer. I am still looking for something to put on the right side of the couch. Maybe a a ceramic stool?

House March 2010 & Tate's Bday 070 In the meantime, I like to add fun pillows to my less than stellar sofas. I just found these at Homegoods last week and thought they worked beautifully with the Brno chairs and helped pull the room together.

image

This spot has seen several lamps come and go in the four years we’ve lived in our home. I guess that is one of the perks of having a husband who works for one of the best lighting manufacturers in the world. This Carousel Lamp designed by Barbara Barry for Circa Lighting has been here for the last year or so and I still really like it.

image

The walls used to be more of a tan color and I had garnet-colored dupioni silk drapes. I love the new combination of mocha walls and ivory silk drapes so much more! If you were to keep walking past the dining room, my kitchen and breakfast room would be on your left and the family room would be on your right. Sooner than later, we will change out the carpeting for dark hardwoods.

image

{The Sweet Birthday Boy}

I can’t resist taking pictures of my little Tater Tot! He is a great little model and I can’t believe he is already a year old! I hope you’ve enjoyed the peek into my humble abode.

51 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your paint choices and am crazy about your little dog. I'm guessing he's some sort of poodle mix?

sketch42 said...

Gorgeous! Its moody, edgy and cool!

Meredith Crump said...

The dark brown looks great!

Things That Inspire said...

Thank you for taking us into your own home! I know exactly how you feel. It is hard to show pictures of my own home, as it pales in comparison to the gorgeous and professionally styled and photographed pictures that I feature on my blog!

Your home is lovely and really looks like you. There are lots of great touches I spy, like those plates on the wall and the stylish chairs. Love it, and your pup is adorable.

TERI REES WANG said...

The place comes alive with the help of the sweet shaggy face of Tate!

Erika Ward said...

I used to feel the same way about displaying pics of my home, but I just let my inhibitions go! Thanks for the tour! You've done a beautiful job with you home. Happy Birthday Tate!

###### said...

Are you serious?????? I mean for real? I dont comment that, that much but I felt the need to type here. Your home is gorg! Love what your doing. Forget what people think and do you! You have no reason to hide your home because you are doing a great job. I even stop following blogs from people that never share their space, and only post everyone elses decor. I just dont see how that is fair to the reader. You have done great!

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

If you had not told me you weren't a designer, I would not have know. You have a wonderful eye and great sense and style, and you've make the elements that you don't love work anyway. Good job!
And Tate.....what a dog! I have Henry, a 144lb lab that I rescued from a parking lot as a baby. Wish they could meet!

Marija said...

Very pretty and totally tasteful. Definitely keep the brno upholstery - it's so perfect for those chairs! Marija

A Perfect Gray said...

thanks so much for the treat of sharing your home. It really is a gift you have given us. LOVE the grouping of plates. you have a beautiful and classic style. thanks again...

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you shared your house! It is fantastic! And so is Tate, of course!

I completely understand your feelings about your couch. I feel the same way about mine and am always looking for pillows to make it look better.

Laura Trevey said...

I love the plates on the wall... and the vintage chairs are gorgeous!!

kenda said...

you have a beautiful home, & i love love love the wall color. very pretty.

Bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

I totally understand the fear of showing your home, but it is unfounded! I think you have done a wonderful job with the space, and it's not even your day job. Koodooozzeee lady!

charmaine said...

Thanks for the tour! I love the color of the walls and those vintage chairs. You did great!

LindsB said...

beautiful, beautiful family/dining room! I love the burnt orange and chocolate colors and Tate makes the whole room special- he is too cute!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Thanks for sharing! Love the collection of plates on the wall and a fun idea with the gift wrap maps.

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

i adore the brno chairs. keep the burnt orange... its great!!

Tricia said...

It's beautiful Paloma and am so glad you shared it with us!! I love your framed maps and the plates you have hanging in the dining room. The Tarjay table is precious as is your sweet Tate!

Karen said...

You have a beautiful home with such unique ideas. My favorite (I always have to pick a favorite!) is the collection of plates on the wall.

Thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Your plate wall is great! I love that.

And the No.5 pillow on your chair is adorable, where is that from?

Acanthus and Acorn said...

I think you have done a wonderful job showcasing your style and flair!

I like the chairs just as they are!
Poochy is pretty darn cute too!!!

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

I love seeing your home! So much to love- Tate, the plate wall, framed "maps", crown No 5 pillow...thanks for sharing! :)

paula said...

It looks beautiful. would love to have your chair collection, swoon.

Anonymous said...

LOVE your plates on the wall. Can we get a closeup ?

Anonymous said...

YOUR HOUSE LOOKS AWESOME!! I love the dark walls and the light drapes! And of course the most adorable dog ever!! Sally

Hallie said...

I love it! Love the Tarjay table and love Tate! I'm so glad you shared this! The paint color is amazing!!

Vær våken said...

I just love your modern home! The red color is so in its place! And your dog is the cutest ever :)Thanks for sharing! So exciting!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

paloma thanks for sharing, you have a gorgeous home! Hope to see more in the future!

Averill said...

I love your living room, Paloma, and I am SO glad you've decided to share it with us (though I totally understand the hesitation to put your "work" out there for everyone to see). I love the chocolate brown walls, especially with the pops of orange. And of course your lighting is exquisite (though I would expect as much!).

PS - Thanks again for the lamp! It looks great in its new home in Dave's study.

White Cabana said...

I love that sweet convex mirror. Thanks for inviting us into your lovely home!
-Jordana

Unknown said...

So chic- wow! You've done an amazing job - thanks for sharing!
- Danielle

Erin said...

You're house looks great! Where are your dining room chairs from? I love them!

Lauren said...

It looks so good Paloma!

You probably don't know remember this, but when I wrote on my blog last year about living in my parents' basement -- you wrote me a very sweet & encouraging comment which gave me the courage to post pics of my little basement apartment & kind of just let go. Thank you.

Anyway, your place looks awesome and I am soooo jealous of all of those gorgeous fixtures!!!

xoxo,
lauren

ALR said...

Thanks for sharing your home with us! I think you have great taste and it looks like you have a great eye for bargains that look expensive. Kudos to you!

Nancy@marcusdesign said...

Thank you for sharing your home, it really is beautiful! I love the dark wall color, so chic!! And the icing on the cake is definately your sweet dog, he's adorable :)

Courtney said...

P, your home looks amazing! I think what you've done is wonderful and really special. Don't ever fret about not being "a designer" - you have wonderful taste and we all love seeing how you bring your own style into your personal space.

CarolAnne - camdesign said...

Happy Birthday to Tate, what a cutie...
If you did not say, I would think you design for a living...loved every piece...keep the chairs in fabric they are amazing!

marie said...

Tate is adorable! You ought to get him into modeling. :) I love the framed maps. I've been considering doing something like this myself and voila, here you are with your great tips. Your home is comfy and classy all rolled into one. Thanks for the tour.

Kathysue said...

Love the paint color, so sophisticated and chic. Behr paint has a very high rating I have heard so it is good to hear it from someone in the know. Happy Bday to Mr Tate. I think I am in love with your dog, he is too cute for words, Kathysue

The Simply Luxurious Life said...

You have a lovely home with quite an eye for design. I especially love Tate's photo. Thanks for sharing. =)

Viera said...

Thanks for sharing your home with us! Elegant, sophisticated, moody. Love the plates on a wall.
X
V

cotedetexas said...

Wow - this looks fabulous! it looks so different painted. wow- love it!!!!!!

::levina:: said...

you have a beautiful home...very chic and fab.

Unknown said...

Hi Paloma, I have the exact same feelings, that my home would pale in comparison to all of the beautifully styled photos we see on design blogs, but yours is GORGEOUS! Thanks for being brave!

ashlina {the decorista} said...

wow. it looks awesome. i am so impressed. i really love the chocolate brown walls. you dont see that too often and i think its one of the best colors on a wall! LOOOOVE IT!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your kinds words and encouragement, everyone! It really means so much to me to know that you liked it. You're the best! (Tate thinks so, too) :)

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for your kinds words and encouragement, everyone! It really means so much to me to know that you liked it. You're the best! (Tate thinks so, too) :)

Unknown said...

i'm crazy about all your lighting and vintage chairs! this space is definitely on par with those designed by professionals. LOVE it!

SpryOnTheWall said...

Wow! It just looks great - so chic! I love the plate wall (and your cute dog!). Thank you so much for sharing!

Elise said...

I'm so glad you shared your space. I love, love, love your home. The orange and brown look great!

I share your concern about overly sharing my space. But this was just enough. Oh, and your dog is super cute.