photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, August 14, 2012

My Favorite Room: White + Gold Design

Hello there, LDV readers! It's Marianne from White + Gold Design sharing with you my favorite room in my home...my master bathroom.If you have ever built or remodeled a home you know that the two most expensive rooms in the home are usually the kitchen and master bathroom. I think we spend so much money on our master bathrooms because it is our private retreat. It's where we soak in the tub or take 20 minute showers (if you're like my husband) and relax. It's also where I spend a lot of my time (somewhat unfortunately) getting ready each and every day. The bathroom is a very important room - not to be overlooked!

I was a little hesitant to share this room with you because it still feels a little unfinished, but I quickly realized that no room in my home feels finished (whose does?!). For my husband, the master bathroom was the only room he really cared about during the remodel. Luckily we have similar taste and agreed on all of the materials. We both wanted something classic that we didn't think would go out of style in a few years.


My husband and I both have an aversion to big heavy furniture and I had been loving the idea of putting in console sinks for a long time. Many of our family and friends tried to talk us out of putting these sinks in because of the lack of storage, but that's exactly why I wanted them. I can't stand how junky my bathroom vanity drawers would get in the past(can we say spilled bronzer, stray bobby-pins, hair from brushes?). In my opinion, you can't store bathroom essentials as well in drawers as you can in cabinets, so in the end we decided on these Porcher sinks that we love.

And because of the lack of storage under the sink we needed medicine cabinets. I liked the price and look of these ones from Restoration Hardware. Probably my favorite lights in my house are these Visual Comfort Empire Sconces from Circa Lighting. They are more beautiful in person and they add a softer look to balance out the somewhat industrial look of the sinks + medicine cabinet.


I have always loved marble, and I couldn't think of a more classic material than marble, so that was a no-brainer for us. I wanted a marble that had some gold and gray in it so no matter what was in style -silver or gold - this marble would look good. Thus we chose Calcutta Gold, which has fit the bill perfectly. The paint color we chose is Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter. It is a perfect warm gray that we have really liked. 

We had the best finish-workers who built me this custom storage cabinet. It has been ample storage for all of my stuff (although I do admit for the photo I took out my bin of hairbrushes, make-up, and hair product for a prettier picture). Also, this cabinet never gets junky and I've loved having the glass doors on the front.

To dress up the cabinet I took a wallpaper remnant from a local wallpaper store and adhered it to the back of the cabinet with spray glue. I also added knobs from Anthropologie.


And now for my husband's favorite spot in the whole house - the shower. We LOVE this shower. We have two little girls (ages 3 and 1) and we all fit in this shower, no problem. We are lucky that we had the room in our home to make a shower this large. The home we lived in before this one barely had enough room for just one of us, so this has felt like a total luxury and indulgence.

The floor tile is also Calcutta Gold but in a hexagon shape. And if you notice, the shower hardware is a brushed nickel, but we used polished chrome and nickel for the faucets and lighting. I don't believe in matching metals in a home - it looks too planned and new- buildish. I like a more collected look so we purposely didn't match all of our finishes.

I recently bought the Lucite-leg bench from a designer sale and we have loved having that next to the shower to set our towels, clothes, etc. I highly recommend seating in every master bath if there is room.
  The empty space next to the shower is reserved for a soaking tub, whenever we pony up for it. We actually had a tub at one time, but it didn't work out and we had to return it. Ever since then I keep pushing back the large purchase. I can't live without a tub when I'm pregnant, so maybe when we finally install a tub it will also be an announcement for baby #3 :)

And that sums it up for my favorite room! Thank you, Paloma for allowing me to share a little of myself and my home with your readers.

13 comments:

Julia Ryan said...

GORGEOUS! I found her blog last month and have been obsessed ever since!

Unknown said...

Such a beautiful space! The wallpaper backing the cabinet is GORGEOUS!! Thanks so much for sharing!

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

Oh my gosh, I am OBSESSED with this bathroom! The tile had me at hello. Love that tufted bench, too!

Archana said...

Beautiful..any chance u can share the source of the door knob? Thanks in advance

Erin | Holtwood Hipster said...

Just absolutely beautiful! A subtle, luxurious sanctuary. Great tile!

Anonymous said...

we went with the same Porcher in our small bathroom and love it! I do keep a woven basket underneath, but easy to put away when entertaining. Very classic bathroom, great job.

Erin said...

LOVE this post! So many inspiring ideas:)

Laura Trevey said...

Paloma!

Love the custom storage cabinet - it's wonderful!

Dawna Jones Design said...

What a stunning classic space I could live in that bathroom! It's funny you should mention Revere Pewter,it's the color I always choose for my clients,I think they no what I am going to say before I do that's how often I use it!
http://www.dawnajonesdesign.com/

Erin {House of Turquoise} said...

I cannot even tell you how much I love this bathroom!! It's incredible!! That tile! That shower! That bench!! LOOOOVE!

eliz said...

Beeeeautiful! Love your blog and style! :)

eliz said...

Beeeeautiful! Love your blog and style! :)

Caroline Gerardo said...

ohhh so lovely