photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, June 24, 2010

The Style Files: Melissa Warner

{The Lovely and Stylish Melissa Warner}

As a style blogger and interior design enthusiast, I am constantly faced with inspiring spaces. Naturally, I like some more than others, but if a room is well-designed, whether it is extremely modern or completely traditional, I can certainly appreciate it, even if it is not my style. However, every now and then, one comes across the work of a designer that is perfect in one’s eyes. That is the case for me when it comes to Melissa Warner of Massucco Warner Miller. Her designs are exactly my taste. Melissa’s style is at once sophisticated, fresh, modern, and  glamorous. She has an amazing ability of mixing styles, colors, patterns, textures, and new pieces with vintage ones. One of the things that most stands out to me when I am admiring Melissa’s work is her ability get the balance between traditional and eclectic styles just right. Her work never feels stuffy or impersonal, nor does it feel overly trendy. Melissa’s spaces are as chic and timeless as they are inviting.

 

melissa2

Name: Melissa Warner

Occupation: Interior Designer at Massucco Warner Miller Interior Design

Hometown: Los Angeles, California

Current City: West Hollywood and San Francisco

 

melissa warner hb shelter

{Melissa’s Apartment as Featured in the May 2010 issue of House Beautiful}

LDV: What inspired you to begin your career in design? 

MW:  Ever since I was a little girl, I always loved design. I was forever rearranging my bedroom, styling my bookshelves, and having disagreements with my mom about wallpaper (I REALLY wanted a tulip print!) After getting a degree in business, I immediately started design school and haven’t looked back since…. It was one of the best decisions I ever made!

 

{This bedroom is part of a gorgeous home that Melissa designed for a San Francisco family. It was recently published in Traditional Home. Aren’t the colors lovely?}

LDV: What do you love most about it?

MW: I love working with our clients to make their house a home. Each client is different so we get to work in a variety of different styles which always keeps things interesting and fun. I’m a detail person so I really enjoy working out the specifics of custom pieces with local upholsters, seamstresses and furniture makers.

 

{How gorgeous is this vanity? I feel like it is the embodiment of my design personality. Melissa is a girl after my own heart!}

LDV:  Where do you find inspiration?

MW: From everything! Travel, fashion, nature...inspiration is all around!

 

Jackie in trench[1]

{The Ultimate Style Icon: Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis}

LDV: Who are some of your personal style icons?

MW: Jackie O, Dorothy Draper, Audrey Hepburn, Miles Redd

 

melissa warner hb2

{Melissa’s own bedroom is bananas! There are so many fabulous elements in this one room: the Dorothy Draper Chest, gorgeous custom headboard, Chippendale bamboo bookcase, and pops of orange.}

 

LDV: How would you describe your own style?

MW: Classic with a modern twist

 

{I honestly think Melissa designs the best bedrooms in the business. So maybe this room (from the same gorgeous San Francisco home mentioned earlier) was intended for a three year old. I’d still take it!}

 

LDV: What is the trait you most admire in a person?

MW: Sincerity and honesty

 

{The dining room plays host to bold orange chairs and gorgeous hand-painted de Gournay wallpaper, which you might recognize from the cover of the Domino book.}

 

LDV: What is your principal weakness?

MW: Anything with truffle oil.

 

image003[1]

{Melissa’s gorgeous apartment graced the cover of House Beautiful in May.}

 

LDV: What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

MW: Stay in the moment.

 

melissa warner hb3

{Melissa’s closet features black and white pictures of her style icon, Jackie O. Such a brilliant idea!}

 

LDV: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

MW:  Amazing friends and family

 

{This ultra-chic bedroom was designed by Massucco Warner Miller for the 2008 San Francisco Decorator Showhouse.}

 

LDV: What is your idea of living “la dolce vita”?

MW:  A dreamy vacation with lots of pampering

 

melissa

cheese randi brookman harris

{A Delectable Array of Cheeses}

 

Bloom: Hydrangeas and Peonies

Food: Cheese…I can’t resist it!

Drink: St. Germaine Cocktail

 

francesco lagnese3 {Wandering the Streets of Italia… Image by Francesco Lagnese}

 

Thing to Wear: Diane Von Furstenberg wrap dress

Destination: Florence, Lake Como, Paris…anywhere in Italy or France

Season: Fall—I love the crispness in the air

Meal: Pasta

 

{A Strking Image Captured by Massimo Vitali}

Musician: Elton John

Artist: Massimo Vitali

Film: Sliding Doors

 

{The Hilarious “Family Portrait” episode of Modern Family}

 

Television Show: Modern Family…I can’t stop laughing!

Book: Girls Guide to Hunting and Fishing

Magazines: House Beautiful and Elle Decor

Blogs: Style Saloniste and La Dolce Vita of course!

 

melissa warner hb4

{Tangerine meets Charcoal in Melissa’s Home Office}

 

Texture: All things knit

Fabric or Pattern: This is an impossible question! Too many to choose from!

Color: Tangerine or Coral paired with Charcoal or Ivory

 

 Chanel Chance[1]

{Chance by Chanel}

 

Scent: Fresh basil and Chanel “Chance”

Extravagance: Long lunches

Quote: “Keep Calm and Carry On”

 

To see more of Melissa’s fabulous work, visit the Massucco Warner Miller website and become a fan on Facebook.

25 comments:

Danielle Oakey Interiors said...

she is inspiring, love her work.

Christina said...

Thanks for a really really great post!!! I admire you for always putting so much work and LOVE into your posts!!! You Rock!!

I just shared your link on my blog today :-)

Unknown said...

Adore this lady and her style soooo very much, and you as well, for posting this! Off to google what is in a St. Germaine cocktail!, since I already love everything else here, will probably be in heaven over this :)

Laura Trevey said...

Modern Family is my Favorite show!!
All of these interiors are so beautiful and inspirational... thank you for sharing!!

** you are mentioned in my post today!
xo Laura

Unknown said...

i'm a Chance girl too :o)

*kiss kiss*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

Katie (Re:fresh Design Studio) said...

Love her style! Every room is just about perfect!

Jami - XOimagine said...

I love her color palettes and closet! The best!

xo - jami
i m a g i n e

Carpe Diem said...

Great insights to an incredibly talented woman.

Averill said...

I love Melissa's work (and the rest of the MWM team). Thanks for the great style file, Paloma!

Unknown said...

Wow...she is very talented! Love the vanity!!

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

I love this Style File! I have seen her work in a bunch of magazines and her rooms are always my favorite!

Caitlin said...

Love every single detail that went into this post. The closet, the color palates, and that vanity! Her work is exquisite. Thank for another amazing Style File - I'm off to go find out the recipe for that cocktail :)

Unknown said...

This is my favorite post in the series so far. I can't get enough of Melissa Warner. Her rooms are the epitome of chic to me. Thank you so much for sharing Paloma!

Rachel
xoxo

Celeste said...

I've seen Melissa around the blog world a lot recently and I love her style. She's a genius with color palettes!

alison giese Interiors said...

I didn't think ANYONE liked Sliding Doors but me -ha! Great interview!

Aspiring Kennedy said...

Melissa seems super cool! Her design skills are light years beyond me- but I do share her love for Modern Family, Lake Como, and Coral + Grey. :)

Pretty lady! Thanks for the introduction!

www.aspiringkennedy.com

Anna @ IHOD said...

what a gorgeous home and absolutely fabulous interview!! Thank you both!

Unknown said...

Amazing how we respond so strongly to some images... that is how it was for me with the dining room.. orange & green, two of my favorite colors.

Great post! She definitely is an inspiring gal!!

Crystal said...

I Love the vanity!

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

I have every one of her design photos in my research file. I love her style as well, and could move right into most all the spaces she designs. Thanks for the inside view.

Ariane said...

My favorite designer yet! Her closet is to die for. Great job, Paloma!

Marcus Design said...

I love Melissa's work, and I so enjoyed the spread of her home in House Beautiful last May!! So this interview was such a treat to learn more about such a talented designer.
Nancy

Katie*Belle said...

What a great interview. I really admire Melissa's work so it was a real treat to learn more, especially on your lovely blog!

Kasey at Thrifty Little Blog said...

Great post! I think I just saved half of those rooms into my inspiration file :).

Hello Lover... said...

I completely agree with you - her designs are absolute perfection! Great post - loved learning a little more about her!