photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

10 Things I Can’t Live Without: Crystal of Plush Palate

header plush palate

I’ve often said that one of my favorite things about blogging is the fact that it has allowed me to meet so many people who share my same interests and has given me the opportunity to foster friendships that I probably would not have made otherwise. Crystal, founder of the lovely blog, Plush Palate is no exception. It is almost uncanny how much she and I have in common. We share a similar aesthetic and both have an undying love for all things Italian. Yesterday, we were chatting about the fact that I felt like I could have written her “10 Things” list because I can identify with all of it!

As you may know, I spoke at the Kravet Social Media and Design Panel last week and Crystal spoke on the same panel in Chicago last month. Beth Greene, the VP of Social Media and Marketing for Kravet told us both that we reminded her so much of each other! It’s amazing how the world of blogging brings together kindred spirits. Though I haven’t had the chance to meet Crystal in person yet, I can tell you that she is driven, incredibly genuine and kind, and has gorgeous taste. I hope that you’ll enjoy her “10 Things” list as much as I did!

 

Picture 1[1]

* Following My Passion: Sometimes it takes time to find it or courage to follow it, but I cannot imagine living a life without passion for what I do. It gets me out of bed in the morning and is what keeps me going in difficult times. Bringing beauty and inspiration to others through the world of interior design gives me great joy and fulfillment.

Picture 2[1]

* Alone Time: I find great comfort and relaxation in being alone. It allows me the quiet time I need to hear my thoughts and connect with my feelings after a long day. Too often, I feel people don't take time to invest in the relationship they have with themselves, which in my opinion, is one of the most important relationships you'll ever cultivate.

Picture 3[1] 

* Traveling: For as long as I can remember, curiosity for travel has been at the core of who I am. Growing up, my father's career took him all over the world for speaking engagements. Believing that what my brothers and I could learn through seeing the world was more informative than what we'd learn in a week of school, my parents often let us join them on those trips. And how glad I am that they did! Ask me about any give week of school and I can't recall, but I can vividly remember each one of those trips -- the conversations I had, the foods I tasted, the feelings I felt, the things I saw, and the people I met. I thank my parents for instilling a lifelong love of travel and open mind to new cultures in me.

Picture 4[1]

* Appreciating Beauty: In all its forms, I find great value in taking time to appreciate the beauty around me. Whether it be in the presentation of a meal, the tailoring of a dress, the lyricism in a poem, or the complexity of an emotion, I look for beauty wherever I go. Sometimes it's less obvious to see, but I find that if I seek it, I will find it, even in the most unexpected of places.

Picture 5[1]

* Journaling: I love to write and have been keeping journals since I was thirteen years old. I have a box filled with all the journals I've filled up over the years. They are my most prized possessions as they document my life -- the feeling I've felt, the discoveries I've made, and the ups and downs I've experienced. Journaling is so therapeutic and eye opening for me and I can't imagine ever stopping.

Picture 6[1]

* A Home I Love: Like many design enthusiasts, I am very effected by my surroundings. I find it hard to be productive in a place that doesn't feel right or inspire me. So, I couldn't imagine living in a home that I didn't take the time to make a place I love. To me, the right decor and furniture is money well spent because it's something that will make me happy each time I come home.

Picture 7[1]

* Learning: I have a very curious mind, and the older I get the more I see the areas of my interests broadening. Education was always an important value in my household growing up, and so I'm committed to being a lifelong learner and seeker of knowledge.

Picture 8[1] 

* Spending Time with Others: As much as I love being alone, I couldn't live without the community and camaraderie of friends and family. Truly connecting with other people through love, compassion, and kindness is one of the best feelings in life and why we are here after all.

Picture 9[1]

* Reading: I love to read and adore my books! I love escaping into a good novel, curled up in bed, and unwind for the evening. Nothing is more relaxing or engaging than that.

Picture 10[1]

* Blogging: In many ways, I credit blogging for helping me find my passion and directing my path. It's opened so many doors for me and more importantly, introduced me to inspiring people who have become lifelong friends. I am continually inspired by the intelligence, creativity, and kindness of other bloggers and feel so fortunate to be amongst this wonderful community.

 

Images: 1. This Is Glamorous 2., 4. Haute Design 3. Ryan Wynn Creative 5., 8. We Heart It 6. Dress Design Decor 7. Luigi Cassinelli 9. Escapade 10. West Elm

15 comments:

Caitlin said...

What a unique and genuine list. I grew up in a similar way as Crystal - my dad traveled around the world giving speeches and lectures and my mom and I would tag ago to each destination. I have vivid memories of each trip and I will remember them forever - unlike elementary and middle school.

This is a fabulous post! xo, C

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

Thanks for sharing and introducing me to the Plush Palate! As always, I enjoy all your posts and look forward to them!!

Anonymous said...

I completely relate to Alone Time. I really enjoy it when it's completely silent and it's just me and my thoughts. Great unique list.

A Perfect Gray said...

lovely. I enjoy both your blogs very much...

Unknown said...

i love crystal's blog and really enjoyed her list. that photo of venice is divine!

The Iconic Blog.com said...

Wonderful post.xxx

MyFavoriteFrenchAntiques said...

I so connected with your list...it was as if I was reading my own soul.
I have been journaling for over 20 years. It is amazing to go back and read my old writings...to remember where I was, where I wanted to go... and to see where it all led. A great post!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

spot on, incredible list!

Sarah Klassen said...

What a wonderful guest post! It's so nice to hear more about our favorite bloggers—and Crystal is definitely one of mine! I love the photos and her list... so many memories from travels all over the world that have no doubt help to shape the person she is today.

So eloquently put, Crystal. I especially love your point about beauty and finding it in even the most unexpected places...

xo

Averill said...

Truly wonderful list -- so many of these are important to me as well.

Mona Thompson said...

Loved your list. It could be mine as well, but I wouldn't have articulated it as well as you have. Perfect illustrations as well.

torrie said...

As other people have commented, this list was so inspirational and at the same time so similar to what I would write! I just started blogging for this very reason, to help me live a life with passion, to connect the billions of dots of inspiration that surround me every day, AND to find new sources of inspiration via 'blogger kindred spirits.'

Marija said...

This was beautiful! I think many of us could relate but few could put it so well. I love that her favorite things are not limited to material items.

Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

I love Crystal and I love her list. It sounds so like her. I know this seeing as she's my new bestie. Hah

And talk about beautiful images! I want to save all of them. Particularly adore the beds in the "A Home I Love" and the shot of the girl with the book in the "Learning" piece.

Great list!

On another note, when are you visiting Chicago, Paloma?! Better in the summer! : ) Maybe you can squeeze it in sometime between Barcelona and NOLA! hah

Kim Tas said...

was actually just talking about how you "meet" so many like-minded people through blogging with a fellow blogger and high school friend today. really something interesting that not many people understand outside of the blogging circle!
-Kim
cupofbeautiful.blogspot.com