Turquoise is one of my favorite colors, so it’s no surprise that I absolutely love Erin Olson’s House of Turquoise. You really have to admire someone who loves a color enough to dedicate an entire blog to it! She also pens blogs dedicated to several other color combinations and has been featured in publications like House Beautiful. I think turquoise is the perfect color for Erin. Like her, it is fresh, elegant, lovely, and inviting.
1. Color. It energizes me, delights me, even relaxes me. Obviously my favorite is turquoise, but I'm a huge fan of all the other colors too. My home is filled with color...I'm addicted to throw pillows, fun bedding, and colorful accessories (granted, a lot of them are turquoise!) I also love to wear colorful clothing. Summer is the best...I can't have too many bright-colored sandals and sundresses!
3. Technology. This encompasses a lot here...my iMac, iBook, iPhone (I've been a Mac user all my life). Without all this, I wouldn't be able to blog!! House of Turquoise and my shopping blogs Decor By Color all started as hobbies, but now they're my full-time job and have brought me so many opportunities I'd never imagined. I get such joy out of blogging, but moreover reading other blogs. The design community is so inspiring! I also love all sorts of gadgets, digital cameras, stereos, phones, etc. I really love buttons. Such a nerd.
4. Travel. Like so many others, I love to board the plane and go somewhere new. I'm so grateful to have been all over the United States, to have studied abroad in Norway, live in Germany, and see so many cool places in Europe. There's many more places to discover, people to meet and new experiences to have. I love the history and beauty in Europe, but honestly my favorite destination is the Mayan Riviera in Mexico....I just can't get enough of that turquoise water!! It's my life mission to go to many more amazing beaches!
5. Animals. Man do I love them! These four are the ones in my life...Spencer and Kismet are my kitties, then Carly the Whippet and Charley the American Bulldog. Aren't they all the sweetest things?! They crack me up all the time...endless entertainment. Such sweet personalities too. My little cuddle bunnies!
6. Music. I have music playing all the time. Like color, it brings me energy and can change my mood like nothing else. I especially love watching musicians perform. Bands, choirs, orchestras, heck even marching bands are super cool. I have a wide variety of favorites, but some of my consistent favorites are Bob Dylan, Ray LaMontagne and Coldplay. Right now I'm obsessed with Monsters of Folk!
7. Podcasts. Maybe this should go under technology, but I have so much love for them they get their own spot. I've always been a huge fan of talk radio, especially when I'm going to sleep at night (I did always like a good bedtime story!) The last few years have been so much more awesome since I discovered how to subscribe to podcasts via iTunes. Some of my favorites are Dr. Joy Browne (always before bed), Clark Howard while I work, and several Lost podcasts (I need help figuring out that show...). Locally I never miss Mischke. I also love the Skirted Roundtable and Color Budz for more design-related stuff.
8. Hair products & tools. I have drawers and drawers of goodies. Serums to make it smooth, gels to make it curly, mousse to make it more volumized...you get the picture. I collect tools too, straighteners, rollers, curling irons of all shapes and sizes...my favorite being my Enzo Milano clipless one. It's the best thing I've bought in the last 5 years (steal of a deal on ebay), it just gives you perfect beachy waves. I'm obsessed with my hair.
9. Books and magazines. I love to read. The majority of the books I read are non-fiction. I love to read about economics and consumer behavior, communication, business and entrepreneurship, fashion and beauty, and of course design. Like most of you, I love all the shelter mags...Coastal Living and House Beautiful being my two favorites. I can't get enough pretty pictures!
10. And of course all my family, friends, and Chris. I wouldn't be who I am, or where I am today without their endless support and enthusiasm. They pick me up when I'm down, bring me energy, constant inspiration and happiness! (And they all love turquoise!!)