photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Personal Style, Defined: Sarah's Fab Day

This week's installment of "Personal Style, Defined." will focus on the fabulous Sarah of Sarah's Fab Day. Sarah frequently features interior design, fashion, and food on her blog which is a great source of inspiration. She also features some fantastic-looking shops that she has visited as well as her adventures in motherhood all while showcasing her great sense of humor. I absolutely love the rooms she chose for this feature and am sure that you will, too!

“Wow”, was the first thing that I thought when Paloma asked me to be part of her Personal Style. Defined. series. So honored and mighty flattered so thank you very much Paloma. I will start by telling you a little about myself I'm Sarah from Sarah’s Fab Day. I’m no designer, not even a decorator; I’m just someone who loves good design and pretty things. My mom is a designer and my dad is an architect so I think being surrounded by design talk growing up made me appreciate all of the hard work and thoughtfulness that goes into making something beautiful as well as functional. I think that my own personal style is traditional with lots of vintage and unexpected touches. While I like new materials and fabrics what really makes me swoon are furniture pieces that have a story to tell.

Foyer designed by William Hodgins

This room designed by Monique Keegan that was featured in Country Living is one of my favorites. The room has lots of vintage pieces that are put together in an eclectic mix that is so inviting. While I love this room because of its unexpected use of something like an old hospital cart, I’m really crazy about the fact that you can see the owner in this home. I love pretty as much as the next girl but when a room tells a story about who lives there it gives the room life that being simply pretty just doesn’t do.


Living room designed by Monique Keegan
This closet by Celerie Kemble is a wonderful example to compare with the earlier room because while it is very lovely, don’t let it’s pretty face fool you. A simple closet is made exceptional by small details such as the wallpaper on the ceiling, the chandelier and mirrored cabinet doors. Again classic with some wonderful finishing touches that make the room sparkle.
Closet designed by Celerie Kemble

Something that I always strive for in choosing things for my own home is listening carefully to my inner voice. I always know what I like and I know all tastes evolve but I try not to second guess myself in my design choices. I want my home to look as if it’s been collected over time and doesn’t look like a showroom. Even if something that I’m drawn to isn’t being seen in the latest design magazines or blogs if it speaks to me and would work in my home I’m good with it. I think the most important thing in designing for one’s own home is to choose things that you love and will work for your lifestyle.

6 comments:

La Maison Fou said...

I love the closet and the column of shoes! Also, the metal sleek laboratory tables in the sunroom. Thanks!
Leslie

Christine said...

The closet is gorgeous :-)

Lauren said...

monique keegan's house was one of my favorites!!! sarah's so great & loved seeing her featured!! :)
xoxo

LindsB said...

I wish I had a foyer and closet like that one- what great style! Love this!!

home before dark said...

Love your philosophy. It is what my mother-in-law told me was hers as well. Live with your history, tell your story, go with your heart. Bravo to all wise women who see this and honor it. I am sure their homes are heartwarm places to live.

Freckles Chick said...

Sarah, let's be BFF's. Seriously, I wholeheartedly agree w/ your design philosophy! And those rooms are to die for--some of my favorite designers!