photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Design Under the Influence: Goyard

Hello again, it's Erika from small shop sharing with you a 7th edition of "Design Under the Influence." I was thinking recently, one goal that any graphic designer like myself shares is to create a graphic that is not only instantly recognizable, but highly regarded. Such is the case with the famous Goyard pattern. You know the one, those interweaving "Y"s ...

Did you know that the company associated with this pattern was founded back in 1853 (one year before Louis Vuitton), and to this day sits on the rue Saint-Honoré in Paris? L. Maison Goyard has a rich history and is considered a pioneer in the ultra-luxurious luggage industry, initially designing and manufacturing customized trunks for traveling aristocrats in the 1800's, and monogramming the pieces with clientele's family crests and colors.

More recently, Goyard's handbags have become the "it" bag for all Manhattan-ites between Madison and 5th it seems, and "it" celebs alike. But getting your hands on a highly coveted bag is not so simple; Goyard does not sell online, and currently has only twelve stores worldwide.

New York Times "The Trophy" by Bill Cunningham

One of the reasons Goyard's line of trunks and bags is so in demand is because each is hand sewn, lightweight, waterproof, and the pattern adorning each is hand painted. You can get a Goyard piece in a variety of colors, configurations, and customizations:

I've heard the "Y" pattern, made up of three chevrons, symbolizes the family "tree" of three generations/centuries of the Goyard family. As a graphic designer I get giddy with excitement when I think about how something so visually simple could represent something so exclusive and steeped in history. And to see it replicated in wallpaper, dinnerware, and textiles would be the perfect compliment, in my humble opinion.

Osborne & Little's "Trifid" wallpaper

Photo: Patric Johansson

Catilin Moran

Caitlin Wilson Textiles "Hong Kong" pillow

Goyard Bowl, Furbish Studio

Pick up one of the above, or if you're really lucky, a Goyard bag really does make a nice accessory doesn't it?

*sketches via Goyard.com

27 comments:

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

Absolutely love love love this post. Erika you always offer such stylish insight into some of my favorite things!

Tatiana Doria said...

I love that pattern! Specially on the wall!

www.tatianadoria.blogspot.com

Jessica said...

Great post, Erika! I never knew the name of this pattern until now. Its such a simple and effective pattern that you don't see too often in interiors.

Anonymous said...

wonderful inspiration!! I just love these bags.. I'm pretty sure they would be out of my price range but a girl can dream!

http://itsawant.wordpress.com/

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Interesting interiors and well done post!

Have a wonderful day!

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

La La Lovely!

I would love this for a backsplash. Tone-on-tone so it was subtle, but still totally gorgeous!

viv said...

Love, love, love this post! I love learning these fun facts. I recently visited the Goyard shop in Paris and fell in love. Serious love.
fashiontruffles.blogspot.com

victoria | vmac+cheese said...

SF is lucky enough to have its very own Goyard store, yet I have never been inside!! I will have to pop down there ASAP. I adore the pattern!

Karlita said...

Very informative! Still loving the bags more than anything!

katrina - dot dot dash said...

amazing cases, love the use as tables
x kat

The Cuban In My Coffee said...

What a lovely idea! I especially love the kitchen/dining room combo shown. It's such a great way to add texture and interest. Thanks for the post.

Unknown said...

I love a good DUI <3

Anonymous said...

Love the idea of having the pattern on walls!
xo emily

Lily said...

LOVE the trunks and the idea of the backsplash !!

xxLily
goldandgray.com

Anonymous said...

I must say, there are times when that lovely little bar trunk would come in handy! Traveling can be so stressful after all.

Jackie said...

I love this! I learned so much. This is an "it" bag that actually seems worth all the hype-considering it's hand-painted! And waterproof, that's always helpful. I love the luggage, and the Goyard inspired decor items are fab! Wonderful post.

Kristy @ I Design Love said...

I Have always loved this pattern. Those trunks are to die for and I would love to get my hands on one of those handbags. Stunning.

www.idesignlove.com

Neda said...

Gorgeous bags...I especially love the blue Goyard bags! Great post~ loved learning more about the brand. xx

Roses & Rags said...

LOVE Goyard! Great Post!

Tamra {ever swoon} said...

huge fan of goyard! Great post Erika, I've been looking for the perfect print for couch pillows and you delivered! xx

meghan said...

I found you through Feather Factor, and I'm so excited to start reading your blog! I also think Goyard is so pretty! One day I want to own one of the totes. I love that they're all hand-painted.

Amy said...

Hi Paloma! I discovered your blog via an interview posting on Feather Factor. Your site is great! I lived in Houston for a number of years, and am happy to hear that its incredible sense of style and ease is finally being captured online.

I have been noticing a lot more Goyard logos in Los Angeles as of late, and didn't realized they were so popular! The bags look sturdy and functional though, so I will definitely be sure to recommend them to my sister, who has two small children (who are always running around with markers on hand!)

Cheers.

W E L C O M E said...

The wallpaper is my favorite, thank you..

Elizabeth said...

I have always wanted a Goyard bag, but now I think I must have that wallpaper! Thanks, Erika!
-e (modern24seven)

Anonymous said...

Love Erika and Design Under the Influence!

XO~JD

Sarah Baynes said...

love this post - and the series!

Anzu said...

Great post!
I saved for a while to get my pieces of Goyard luggage. I LOVE them and the whole experience was fun! I also think it would be great to get a trunk or piece that is bespoke for your profession - I would really like to have a case to keep all my paints and brushes in. If you design the ultimate graphic - you could have a trunk with it on!