photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Beautifully Organized: Dos and Don’ts

Hello all! Arianna here of Arianna Belle Organized Interiors. Today I'm here to share with you my list of Do's and Don'ts for one of the most common new year resolutions: getting your home organized. I hope you find the tips helpful!



DON'T give up before you even start. It can be easy to look at all the clutter, get overwhelmed, decide the task is too hard, and throw your hands up in defeat. Work in chunks and keep in mind that it can take time. One-day complete overhauls like you see on TV aren't typical. Take it one room, corner, or cabinet at a time, you'll get there.

DO start with a vision. Have some fun tearing out pages of magazines, pinning images from design blogs, etc. to create an inspiration board of how you want your space to look, function and feel. This will not only give you motivation and get you excited about what you'll be working towards, but it'll give you a criteria to judge during the editing process, whether or not particular items fit into that vision and should remain in the space.



DO create sorting categories (Keep, Don't Keep) as well as sub-categories. Keep like items together based on type, color, function, etc.

DON'T throw all unwanted items directly into the trash. Divert as much as possible from landfills by donating items that are still in usable condition and putting paper, plastics, etc. into the recycling bin (check your city's recycling program to see what's recyclable - it's probably more items than you think).



DON'T talk yourself into keeping something that you already have enough of, you never use, puts you in a bad mood, doesn't fit you, isn't your style, and/or doesn't serve a functional purpose for the life you have now.

DO keep items that you love, make you happy, and help you live your best life.

DON'T keep more items than what actually fit into your space.

DO work within your space means.



DON'T go out and buy organizing products/containers prior to sorting through your belongings and determining where items will "live". Waiting will allow you to get the sizes and shapes that will maximize use of the space.

DO assign a "home" to items based on where you're most likely to use them and how often you need to access them.

DON'T forget to label containers whose contents are not obvious.

DO use storage that will work with the existing or planned decor of your space.



DON'T bring any unnecessary items into your space. That means thinking twice prior to purchasing something new, skipping the "free gift", putting a stop to the junk mail, etc.

DO maintain your space. Make sure items return to their "home" each day, re-asses your belongings from time to time, and adapt your space as your needs change.

----

-Arianna

image credits: 1-via glitter guide, 2-via pinterest, 3-via apartment therapy, 4-scan from harper's, 5-via fab sugar, 6-via glitter guide, 7-domino

24 comments:

Susie said...

thanks for these helpful tips! i always start off the new year by cleaning and reassessing all my things!

Amy said...

Great advice, especially not buying organizers until you know what you need to organize (I've been there) and skipping free gifts if you know you'll never use it (hard, but I'm working on it).

Tonya said...

This post is great! It is wonderful to know that we are not in this alone. To keep things organized you truly have to "live it everyday" cause life, work, and family all get messy sometimes. Great organization skills are truly an art! Thanks for the positive push to get my anuual editing started for 2012!

Brittany Stiles said...

Such a great list!! I'll use it in my organizing endeavors for 2012! Pretty images too, very inspiring to start decluttering my space!

bevy said...

very helpful! i like the images to go along with your tips! good job!

Unknown said...

I need to re read the post I am to distracted by all the fabulous items in the closet :)

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

I like these tips. I especially agree with the tip not to bring any unnecessary items into your space. Simple is best.

XO,

Sam
www.ThePeakofTresChic.com

Kathysue said...

Great post with wonderful advice, I I liked it so much I shared it on my FB page, Great job, Kathysue

Jackie said...

I love these tips! Arianna is so right, it's all about only keeping what you love and really use, and having a set spot for everything you have. Great inspiration pictures too. I love posts like this!

Toy Carli said...

Thanks. Love your advice. For me, I always use January as the month to purge. Seems to work for me. I will follow you. Toy Carli

Allie said...

Thank you so much for these tips! I'm planning to clean, organize, and paint my room but every time I think I'm ready to start I feel so overwhelmed. I'll definitely be keeping all of this in mind when I do get to it though.

Unknown said...

Such great tips Arianna! I've been thinking I need to do a massive cleaning house around here. Feeling very cluttered lately. I think it's especially important that everything has a place!

handamari said...

I organize and declutter pretty much every 2-3 months. So I do it all the time! =)
Thank you so much for the perfect tips! Those are exactly the things that I do when I'm re-organizing and decluttering my closet.

Happy new year Paloma!

xx

sarah said...

Yay to decluttering in 2012! Great tips- and I agree keeping things that make you happy is a good way to filter, as long as you are objective and purge a bit.

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

Anyone have any idea where the slider (?) storage cabinet is from? Love. Need to find. Thanks...

Gwen Driscoll said...

Great advice. Thanks for sharing, have a great day!

Sketch42 said...

My friends started a company that helps you redo your closet, think through the organization process, decide what to keep, toss, consign and THEN also a personal shopping/styling service that shows you how to use what you own and what key pieces you need to buy...

They did my closet first... pretty much staged an intervention.... It was crazy.

Vanessa Stern said...

I love all these tips and can't wait to get organizing/cleaning out for my new place!

YogaByCandace said...

great tips! now if i could just pick a room and start!

Arianna Belle said...

Jane - It's from Ikea :)

Maureen Stevens said...

great images and even greater suggestions :)

Cyndy Mikesell said...

Glad I stumbled on to this!! Ready to organize and great tips to help me get started. Thanks

Dee said...

Great tips .... especially a little at a time or it is just too much!

Frankie Franks said...

I can't wait to get home and sort my clutter! I am now armed with tips and motivation thanks to your article :)