photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

A Gourmand’s Dream

{The Capital Kitchen in Melbourne, Australia}

One of the silly things I sometimes dream about is owning a gourmet food shop/café. I know that the food business is HARD and it’s not something I see myself actually going into (hats off to those of you who have!), but I can’t help but fantasize about what my little place would look like. There are so many gorgeous upscale gourmet food markets out there, though unfortunately, we do not have any left in Houston. I think more than wanting to own a food shop, I would really just love a place like this to frequent in my hometown. These spaces are a gourmand’s dream.

{How amazing is that marble counter?}

{Capital Kitchen has lots of open shelving.}

{Joan’s on Third in Los Angeles}

{Joan’s has so many great items from gourmet grocery to staples and prepared foods for take-away to the most amazing, freshly prepared sandwiches and salads.}

{Mario Batali’s Eataly in New York- I have yet to visit, but I am dying to! All of that bread is my idea of heaven!}

{The Cheese Counter at Eataly}

{Good design can make anything more enticing—even the meat counter!}

It's Complicated-Bakery 2

{In the movie, It’s Complicated, Meryl Streep’s character, Jane has the most charming bakery.}

It's Complicated Bakery 4

{Meryl Streep and Steve Martin in It’s Complicated}

{Dean and Deluca’s stores feature a classic combination of white subway tile, marble flooring, industrial lighting and wire shelving.}

deandeluca-meats-580cs111209[1]

{Artfully Displayed Jamón and Prosciutto for the Carnivores}

deandeluca-sweets-580cs111209[1]

{Cookies on Pewter Stands at Dean and Deluca}

 

Do you have a well-designed, gourmet shop in your town?

 

{Image Source: Apartment Therapy, Joan’s on Third, Hooked on Houses, Luxist}

9 comments:

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

You know what? I think it's a really sweet idea, Paloma. well, who knows... maybe some day. :-)

I love, love gourmet shops. We used to live in Vancouver and it was great for that. But we moved to a small town by the sea, and there's not such a thing here. Just really fresh lobsters. :-)

I miss gourmet shops and all the fresh Italian breads... my favorite! Oh, what about the pastries! Wow!


xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

I agree! These bakeries are ones that call my name everyday....I have to take it easy or I can spend all my money on French lattes and almond croissants!

Emily {Isnt That Charming} said...

Love this post! I totally agree, great design in a cafe/diner/shop is a must. I love the design in Joan's on Third.
www.SproutThroughConcrete.com

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

Paloma - do you have a Le Pain Quotidien anywhere near Houston? Same vibe you are digging. We have one in Alexandria VA and I wish I could camp out there and walk by for a morning cup o coffee and croissant. thanks for the post!!

Storage Units said...

I absolutely agree. Those photos are great choices for a gourmand. I love it.

Anonymous said...

Hudson & Hubbell is a great gourmet shop/ grocery/restaurant right up the road in the Woodlands. You could definitely get your 'fix' there!

Kristy @ I Design Love said...

Gourmet grocery stores are fabulous. They are very Paraisan. I would love to have a gourmet grocery near me.

Smitten Design said...

love all the photos. you would like star provisions in west atlanta. it would fit right in with this post.

Allison {Halcyon Style} said...

Caviar & Bananas - http://www.caviarandbananas.com/ - is my favorite market/cafe in my home away from home, Charleston, S.C. I stumbled upon it on one of my recent visits and now its my favorite quick lunch spot! I've yet to find its equal in Boston.