photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Dream Home: KELLY MARKET

Today’s “Dream Home” belongs to Kelly from the uber stylish blog, KELLY MARKET. As the name implies, Kelly’s blog focuses on some beautifully curated market-type posts in which she rounds up some of her favorite items in various themes. I knew she had fabulous taste and was dying to see how that would translate into interiors. She certainly did not disappoint!

kellymarket

Hello! Kelly Ottinger here from KELLY MARKET. I've scoured my files to compose my dream home and am so excited to share it with you. I've lived the small town life in Pennsylvania, the big city life in NYC, and now call Atlanta my home. I gravitate towards traditional, older houses with closed floor plans and love wide plank wood floors and high ceilings. My design aesthetic is driven by a strong belief in the mix of high/low, classic and modern day, and always, chic and colorful. I love a classic Georgian and this house designed by Atlanta's famed architect Philip Shutze in 1929 is one of my favorite houses in Atlanta. Known as Knollwood, I think it's perfect with its ivy clad brick and symmetrical façade and it just so happens to be on the market — check it out here :) A classic black and white tiled entryway is very much my style. Mary McDonald's lemon trees in their blue and white pots look terrific against the tile. I would pep up both of these hallways with some paint — no white walls for me please! I'm obsessed with anything chinoiserie and just love these pagoda moldings. It would be so fun to have them replicated someday in my own home. I think bathrooms are an excellent place to use wallpaper — an oversize motif can punch up a small space. The Vase by David Hicks and China Seas Trellis Background are two favorite patterns. White, white, white! I love a bright white kitchen with subway tile, marble and wood counters, and brass hardware. Shelves like these would be ideal for housing my large cookbook collection (that's always growing!). My grandmother has a banquette in her kitchen and to me there's nothing more comfortable than piling in with my family for breakfast or a casual dinner. I love Aerin Lauder's airy nook filled with her children's artwork. I rarely see a space where I wouldn't change a thing, but when I do it's always designed by Miles Redd. In this dining room he combines many of my favorite things: de Gournay wallpaper, suzani and leopard prints, chippendale chairs, and lots of green...I'm in heaven! Not only do I love the elements of this room: the leopard print sofa, salon style artwork, and blue ceramic lamp, but I love the grand scale of them. This space by Albert Hadley has always been a favorite. The robin's egg blue really pops in the framed panel and I love the tablescape. This looks like a nice space to pen a thank you note or a to-do list. This space is intriguing to me because there are so many solid colors and hardly a pattern, besides the rug. Cozy is a word I throw around a lot and a library/den must be just that. I like wall-to-wall built-in shelving and lots of comfortable seating. The red lacquered library (top) has been in my favorites folder for ages. I love just about everything about the space beginning with the size of the television - small. A China Seas covered sofa, bookshelves, and art round out the look, although I must insist on a larger coffee table. Aerin Lauder's library (bottom) is very chic with its black lacquered walls and cozy fireplace — perfect for snuggling up with a good book! These children's rooms are functional, yet inspirational and creative spaces - just the sort of rooms I want to have for my own children someday. Scalamandre's zebra wallpaper never gets old and paired with a simple black and white striped shower curtain would be perfect in a child's bathroom. Love this. Forever. I would add way more color, but the drapes and awnings could not be any more perfect for a playroom. The color scheme in this guest bedroom is nice and I love the exotic touches, like the Moroccan-influenced bed crowns and headboards. The subtlety of this animal print carpet is just right for an upstairs hallway. I like to tone it down a bit in the bedroom and often go for a monochromatic color scheme. My bedroom right now is a celadon green similar to this shade. I love the exotic elegance of this bathroom with its marble and de Gournay wallpaper in my favorite animal, elephants! I could stare all day at the color-coordinated perfection of Vivre founder Eva Jeanbart-Lorenzotti's closet. And a space for him, of course :) Mary McDonald likes to "bring the indoors out" and I think she does an excellent job. I would love to spend some time here, cuddled up with a good book or entertaining with family and friends. I love how bright and airy this space is - everything a conservatory should be. It reminds me of one of my longtime design idols, Dorothy Draper. Think there's room for an indoor tennis court in my backyard? Last but not least, my dream backyard will definitely have an ivy clad pool house like this one from a Slim Aarons image....looks like a wonderful time indeed. Thank you, Paloma! Photos: 1 from Atlanta Fine Homes, 2 & 18 from Elizabeth Dinkel, 3 & 25 from Mary McDonald, 4 from The Peak of Chic, 5 from Jennifer Dengel, 6 - 10, 12, 16, 17, 20, & 21 from Elle Decor, 11 & 15 from House & Garden, 13 from House Beautiful, 14, 22-24 from Domino, 19 from New York Social Diary, 26 from Vogue, 27 from Luxist, 28 from Slim Aarons via Photographer's Gallery

13 comments:

scsd said...

I could live in that dark, cozy den... it's BEAUTIFUL!

blair @ scsd

Jamie @ charmingly ordinary said...

Besired her closet, of course, those pots hanging in the kitchen are MY FAV. Thanks for sharing!

H.G. The Countess said...

This is one of my favorite dream houses ever, love all her picks!

Unknown said...

my favorite dream house so far! I love seeing how color can be used in a traditional setting; tradition often seems to be forfeited in today's drive for intense color and pattern mixing. going to check out her blog!

autumn said...

i LOVE your dream house! especially the pool, den and those pagoda moldings!

Lisa Mende Design said...

We have many of the same favorites! Well done!

Unknown said...

I KNEW I would love this one as soon as I saw it was from the ridiculously stylish KM- and it did not disappoint. Absolutely love the colour, patter and mix of style- sooo my idea of a dream home!!!

Arianna Belle said...

What a great dream home! Especially lovin the pool!

Bon Lemon said...

Gorgeous. Absolutely gorgeous.

Kristen Cranmer said...

Can I live there with you!? Haha. Love all of it!!

Kristen Cranmer said...

Can I live there with you!?! I love every inch of it!

Nancy said...

Definitely my favorite dream home so far! The wallpaper gives each room such personality and I love the bold colors. Thank you for sharing such beautiful interiors Kelly.

chateaudelille said...

Love all those blue and white ginger jars together. Im so happy blue is so back in fashion.Fiona