photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Friday, January 30, 2009

Jet Set: La Dolce Vita in Rome

The Hotel Pulitzer Roma is housed in a 20th century modernist building

Fabian and I visited Rome two years ago and it is destination we would definitely like to visit again. The city of Rome has something to offer every type of traveler from the history buff to the fashionista to the foodie or even honeymooners as it is a very romantic city. Rome has many great hotels, but I will be focusing on two in this installment of Jet Set.

Nine times out of ten, I will choose to stay in a well-designed boutique hotel over a big chain hotel. I tend to gravitate towards hotels with sleek, modern interiors over more traditional ones. The Hotel Pulitzer Roma certainly fits the bill as it oozes style. The Pulitzer Roma is located in the EUR district and is very close to a subway station which makes it easy to maneuver around the city. The hotel is probably better suited for a business traveler as opposed to someone visiting Rome for the first time because it is located in the financial district. Nevertheless, it is a very chic hotel.

The lobby features dark wood floors, white furniture, and abstract art from the 1970s by various Italian artists.

Sitting Area
I really like the vignette on the left.

Sleek Furnishings abound in the Pulitzer Roma

The stylish VISIT Restaurant features regional cuisine

One of the 83 guestrooms at the Pulitzer

Details from a Guestroom

I love the sleek, minimal bathroom. I can't stand dated bathrooms in hotels! Isn't the black subway tile divine?







Now, on to option number two, for anyone who may be heading to Rome to see all of the amazing sights.


The Fortyseven Hotel


Fabian and I stayed at The Fortyseven Hotel when we visited Rome and we absolutely loved it. I would honestly recommend it to anyone visiting the Italian capital. It had everything we were looking for: an excellent location, great accommodations, and the small boutique hotel experience. The Fortyseven consists of 61 well-appointed rooms and features art by Modigliani and Mastroianni throughout the 1930s art deco building. The staff is fabulous and as I said before, the location is unbeatable.


It is within walking distance to all of the major sites: The Temple of Vesta is across the street, The Mouth of Truth is 75 metres away, Circus Maximus is 150 metres from the hotel, The Capitoline Museums and Piazza Venezia are around the corner, The Roman Forum is half a mile a away, and The Coliseum, Trevi Fountain Pantheon, Spanish Steps, and Villa Borghese are one mile away. Vatican City is just across the Tiber River. We walked everywhere and didn't have to rely on taxis or the subway since we were near everything. Despite being so close to everything, the area immediately around the hotel is relatively quiet, making it ideal.

The Rooftop Lounge at the Fortyseven Hotel

The Lobby Area

A Guestroom

Guest Bathroom

This room is just like the one we stayed in. Notice the chevron pattern of the wood floors. The bed was very comfortable, the linens were nice, and the windows had an automatic screen type thing that would cancel out all noise and light when you would lower it.



This was the view from our window. That is the Temple of Vesta directly across from the hotel and the Tiber River is just up that little side street.

Another shot from our window

When leaving the hotel, you turn right and start walking. We would walk past the Piazza Venezia and the monument where Mussolini would give his speeches everyday.

The Capitoline Museums are just around the corner.

The Roman Forum is a couple of blocks away.

Piazza Venezia

This is just down the street from the hotel and we would pass it on our walks each day. I never found out what it was, but it is so beautiful.

Me, at the Trevi Fountain before I had bangs
The Bocca della Verità, or Mouth of Truth, which you may remember from Roman Holiday. According to local legend, it will bite your hand off if you tell a lie. We have pictures of us sticking our hands in there, but I'll be honest, they aren't very flattering, so this will have to do.
Me, at the Temple of Vesta across from the hotel

Michelangelo's Piazza San Pietro in Vatican City
Notice the gorgeous umbrella pine tress above it. They are all over the city.


Images via Hotel Pulitzer Roma, The Fortyseven Hotel, and my personal files.


6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Makes me want to go back right this minute. I adore Italy. In fact, I'm already dreaming that my now 6 year old will study abroad in Rome (or Florence) one day. I will bookmark your hotel recommendations b/c I know you put much thought into your accommodations and travel plans.

Anonymous said...

All I can say, Paloma, is *wow*. Wow, wow, wow. Rome never looked as desirable to me as it does now. Your photos are great!

:)

Chasity @ Haute Mommy Blog said...

I am bookmarking this - we just went and bought a bunch of travel books to plan our trip to Italy and Spain!

J said...

OMG the views are amazing. I love Rome! Next time I go I'll consider going to the hotel you stayed at. Thanks for the pretty pictures. Makes me wanna go back ASAP :)

m. said...

Oh my gosh, someone please take me!!!

Sarah said...

Not to nitpick, but Michelangelo didn't design the colonnade and piazza outside of St. Peter's - it was conceived by Bernini some 100 years after Michelangelo's death. I hope you peeked inside Santa Maria in Cosmedin, where the Bocca della Verita is located - it's a lovely little church - and much more interesting than the ancient manhole cover that is the "Mouth of Truth."