photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, March 5, 2013

If this were my bedroom…

Over the weekend, I came across an image of a home I blogged about last fall. At the time, the stunning house was for sale, but not surprisingly, it sold. It has such beautiful bones. This particular image of the master bedroom got me thinking about what I would do if I could decorate this stunning space.

image

image

For a new construction, this house has several beautiful architectural features including the fabulous vaulted, wood-beamed ceiling, arched window/door leading to a private terrace, and the lovely wood paneling. Because the house is Mediterranean in style and the color palette is neutral and subdued, I thought it would be fun to infuse the room with some modern glamour and a bit of edge. I would want the interior of the home to be chic and unexpected.

image

image

I would leave the wall color and chandelier as both offer a great starting point. Since the room is grand in scale and has such high ceilings, I selected Serena and Lily’s tall, curvaceous Pondicherry Headboard with Nailheads along with a pair of Circa Lighting’s Fiona Table Lamps by Thomas O’Brien. The lamps are over 44 inches tall, so they help balance the grandness of the room and the tall headboard. The lamps stand atop a pair of Bennett Nighstands from Layla Grayce in black with brass hardware which I love because they offer such a great, transitional design. They’re at once modern and classic, masculine, and feminine. I placed a couple of gilded bamboo mirrors behind the lamps to create a bit of drama. At the foot of the bed, I opted for a Massoud Elton Bench which has Lucite legs and is upholstered in champagne linen. You know I can’t resist a touch of Lucite! The rug is the piece de resistance in this bedroom! The skull rug by Alexander McQueen for The Rug Company is neutral, yet it adds a fashionable edge to the space.

In order to balance that edge, I kept the rest of the items for the space more classic and feminine: dramatic silk drapes in charcoal from Restoration Hardware for the window opposite the bed—I wouldn’t want to cover up the fabulous arched window. The bed would be swathed in Greek key monogrammed linens from Leontine. The corner is the perfect spot for creating a reading nook for which I selected a gilded Quatrefoil floor lamp by Suzanne Kasler, a round Blair side table, Kensington Chaise with nailhead trim, Mongolian Lamb Pillow from West Elm, and a striking vintage painting of a pretty redhead from DwellStudio. Overall, the look is glamorous, alluring, and modern. Which element do you like most?

9 comments:

Proper Hunt said...

First off that room is AMAZING. I'm a huge sucker for dark paned doors and windows so that's just the icing on the cake for me. Second, I love that Alexander McQueen rug you chose. I'm a fan of rugs that are subtle yet really are sophisticated and have a quiet elegance about them. Such a lovely board~

Unknown said...

LOVE the beams and the window - HATE the moldein/panel work on walls - WHAT is that? - doesn't work for me

Unknown said...

Fabulous! That would be a DREAM bedroom.

Anonymous said...

If this were my bedroom, I would jump for joy!! GORGEOUS! Love your board! xo

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

What a dream this would be!!! Incredible.

Lauren said...

That rug is everything!!!! Love your style.

Lorraine Robain said...

For the bones - love that door and the ceiling beams for starters, but I'm iffy about the paneled wall because there appears to be a bank of windows on the opposite wall which adds up to a lot of 'paning'( ceiling, doors and windows plus paneled wall). I love your choice of the bed with the curvy head-board to offset some of these straight lines, ditto that quatrefoil lamp and round side table - and those choices all work beautifully with the chandelier. Its a lovely room!

Unknown said...

Wow, the room you pulled together is perfection! Too bad that house sold but I can see why, really fab! You have such chic style, your selections are fantastic and inspiring. I am going to hop on West Elm's site today as I am liking the side table you highlighted and I am currently on the hunt!
Beth
http://www.chicandglamorous.com

Liz Carroll Interiors said...

Beautiful room! I love what you put together! The new owners should hire you and make this their new bedroom!!