photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

A Glamorous Home by Sally Wheat

Sally
{Malachite, Marble, and Leopard make for an Ultra-Glamorous Space}
My good friend, Houston-based interior designer, Sally Wheat recently sent me a sneak peek of a new project she just had photographed which I couldn’t wait to share with all of you. Initially, she sent me the image above and upon seeing the fabulous malachite drapes I asked Sally for more, more, more! I adore malachite and typically opt to wear it rather than decorating with it. I love how bold this look is. It certainly takes moxie to have such a statement-making design element in one’s home. What I love most about it is the fact that the malachite evokes images of Hollywood Regency glamour. I had the amazing opportunity to attend a luncheon at Tony Duquette and Hutton Wilkinson’s fabulous Beverly Hills estate, Dawnridge last year and malachite reigns supreme in that amazing residence. It turns out, the fabric Sally used for the drapes is actually from the Tony Duquette Collection for Jim Thompson Fabrics-- so my immediate reaction to them makes perfect sense! You can see more of Dawnridge in the current issue of Lonny, but for now, let’s take a look at this glamorous, modern home Sally designed.
Sally5
{A Close-Up of the Malachite Drapes and a Brass Bar Cart}
sally14 {Sally always scores the most amazing vintage finds like this fabulous marble and brass cocktail table.}
sally8 {I love the symmetry in this Hollywood Regency vignette. The emerald lamps are a perfect complement to the malachite drapes on the opposite side of the room.}
Sally3 {In the foyer, Sally created visual impact through the use of a large-scaled painting and a chic pair of leopard ottomans.}
Sally2 {While the family room is decidedly more relaxed than the more formal living room, it still looks rather polished. Notice the way Sally organized the books on the shelves by color. I also love that she painted the backs of the bookshelves for visual impact.}
sally12 {The family room feels so inviting.I love the mix of stylish vintage furniture and modern design elements.}
Do you think you could ever incorporate a design element as bold as the malachite drapes into the decor of your home? What is your favorite statement-making piece in this home designed by Sally?

{Image Credit: Laurie Perez Photography for Sally Wheat Interiors}

15 comments:

Andrea said...

Sally is such a talented designer! So much inspiration to take from these photos. And yes, I have to have these fabulous draperies for my own bedroom! Thanks for sharing, Andrea Brooks

Splendid Sass said...

Such beautiful work. I love how she creates so many special vignettes!
Happy Tuesday.
Teresa
xoxo

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

I am inspired by Sally's moxie! The drapes look fab but I don't know if I could ever do it in my own home. Everything about this space is fab, especially the color coordinated bookshelf and the Hollywood regency vignette. Great job Sally!

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

A beautiful home! My favorites are the wonderfully painted and styled bookcases. Thanks for sharing!

Hannah said...

Omg pin pin pin pin.

Champagne Lifestyle on a Beer Budget

impossibly chic dc said...

What a coincidence! Impossibly Chic DC just did a post on malachite. This is one of the most luxurious malachite images I've ever seen. Simply breath-taking and inspiring. Thanks so much for sharing! PS - LOVE the leopard ottomans!!

monishiwa moonshine said...

Makes me consider dark green as a color option at home :)

Dawna Jones Design said...

I love the glamorous look! Although I personally don't think I could do the malachite I think it is stunning!I adore those leopard benches though.Great job!
http://www.dawnajonesdesign.com/

Robin Baxter said...

A gorgeous use of color- the jade is so striking.

Clara said...

So who's the winner of the giveaway from last week??!!

Unknown said...

Hi Clara,

The winner was announced via Twitter yesterday. Karena was the lucky gal to win the Homegoods giftcard.

XO,
Paloma

alison giese Interiors said...

Sally KILLED it in this house! Absolutely stunning balance. If those curtains hadn't been done perfectly, PERFECTLY tailored as they are, they could have been a nightmare.

She has the Midas touch, as far as I'm concerned.

So glad she shared with you!
ag

Clara said...

Congrats Karena! I don't have twitter, so thanks for letting me know Paloma!

Karena said...

Paloma, I remember when you went to the Duquette's home and was a bit envious to see all of the splendor and follies!

Sally has done an amazing design with this home!

Thank you so very much and also I am so grateful to Homegoods!

xoxo
Karena
2012 Artists Series

Siobhan Casey said...

Hi there,

Love your blog and this post! Very brave choice of colour for the curtains but I think it's a real success.

My only snipe would be that I've disappointed to see leopard stools. Leopards are endangered animals and by specifying the leopard print finish, be it a real skin or faux skin, is creating a demand for the "real thing" which leads to poaching.

I'm sure talented Sally could've have come up with an alternative option.

Keep up the interesting articles though.

Siobhan Casey