photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Dream Home: Modern Eve

Today’s “Dream Home” comes from fellow Texan, Katie of Modern Eve. Her Dallas-based blog explores all of my favorite topics: fashion, décor, travel, and entertaining. I couldn’t help but get a kick out of seeing that she recently featured the gorgeous Beverly Hills living room designed by Melissa Warner of Massucco Warner Miller that was featured in the last issue of High Gloss. It was the last photoshoot I worked on for our dearly departed magazine. Anyhow, Katie has great style which is definitely reflected in the gorgeous “Dream Home” she put together for us today.

P.S. If you’re an active blogger and are interested in participating in the “Dream Home” series, e-mail me at paloma@ladolcevitablog.com!

image

Hi, I am Katie Anderson from Modern Eve and I am so excited to be sharing my Dream Home with all of you here on La Dolce Vita. I have always loved architecture, interiors and design. And I am always scouring shelter magazines (what's left of them), blogs and Pinterest to find rooms that inspire me, whether it's because of a pretty color palette, a smart layout or overall design aesthetic. Thankfully, my husband is a residential remodeler here in Dallas. I can always turn to him to help me make my dreams come true.

In all honesty my Dream Home is still pretty modest; and most likely a renovation of an older home (some charm you just can't manufacture). Several years ago I worked at an architecture firm and really bought into the idea of intentional design tailored to the way you really live. I started reading Sarah Susanka's books and was sold on her "Not So Big" philosophy. I want to fully inhabit my home. And I am definitely not interested in cooling and cleaning spaces I never use. With that being said, a McMansion is probably my real estate nightmare.

Exterior by Cushman Design Group, Restored American International Style Residence

I prefer ranch style single story homes. But that doesn't mean I can't have tall ceilings with large windows. Natural light is a high priority. I love this exterior -- the mixed use of natural materials, the tree-lined setting, but especially all that glass. It'd be a pain to clean, but so worth it, especially if you have a great view.

Living Room by Nate Berkus, Hollywood Hills Residence

I've heard it said that the kitchen is the heartbeat of the home. For me, it's the living room. I desire one large open space that comfortably holds my entire family and less comfortably, a good sized party. The design will have several multi-purpose seating areas. A place to lounge and watch TV. A place to play poker or Scrabble. A place for Bible study. I also want to be surrounded by things I love -- good books, keepsakes from our travels and art.

TV / Bar by Lynn Morgan Design, Nantucket

This TV / Bar area perfectly demonstrates the great use of space that I'm going for. I love watching movies, following big sporting events and keeping up with several TV dramas. The TV is an essential party of my family's social life and it needs its proper place. But, I also hate having a living room that fully revolves around the flatscreen. This set-up is perfect -- you can hide the TV for parties and proudly display it when it's in use. Husband did kindly request that the TV be a bit larger, though.

Kitchen by Alecia Stevens, Edina Stone House

I want a lovely kitchen. Mostly because I see cooking as a chore, not a hobby and a well-designed space can make it seem less so. An white open kitchen with plenty of storage is definitely on my dream list. I envision my future children coloring or doing their math homework at an oversize island, while I am chopping fresh vegetables. Or girlfriends gathered around a freshly baked cake while their husbands cheer on their favorite team from the next room. I'll be spending less time here than the living room, but it still needs to be clean (or even on the sterile side), yet inviting.

Pantry by Sardar Design Studio, Sagaponack House and Nate Berkus

I don't talk about it much, but I truly am an organizational freak. One of my beliefs that I hold dear is that everything should have a proper place. It should be logical, easy to maintain and visually appealing. I used to work at The Container Store and became obsessed with food storage. An organized pantry is a must-have for me. I love having everything out, easy to reach and beautiful displayed. This pantry space here might be a little over the top, but I love it. I want my pantry to feel like a general store.

Dining by Artistic Design for Living

As much as I don't love cooking, I love hosting dinner parties -- dinner parties for 10+ people. This means I need a long table and lots of seating. I have never been a fan of a separate formal dining room that is only used for Christmas Eve and Easter. Instead, my dining room will be in the center of my home, completely open to both the kitchen and living room. When we're not eating meals, it can be used for game nights, craft projects and extra seating for movie watching and Superbowl parties.

Powder Bathroom by Four Walls and a Roof

A half bathroom is a great thing to have, but it doesn't need a lot of space. I love how this tiny room still gets a lot of punch with the dark walls, a floating sink and a gorgeous mirror. We're building a half bath soon. I might copy this look exactly.

Master Bedroom by Urrutia Design

The master bedroom is for three things and they all take place in the bed -- sleeping, reading a good book and baby makin'. I don't need a lot of fuss in the bedroom. However, I do love waking up to natural light, so my master will need large windows and even skylights. Plus, this room has french doors that open to the backyard. Since we're taking dream house, I'll take those, too.

Master Bathroom by Tim Clark Interior Design, Native Woods

I am majorly crushing on this bathroom. Not only does it have a great rain shower (a must for me) and a large soaking tub, here we are again with the natural light. Not sure if that is a window or door leading outside, but it would be pretty cool if it was an entryway. I'd send Husband through there after mowing the lawn.

Dressing Room by ...love Maegan

I am not saying I need a whole bedroom converted into a dressing room, but I would like some significant space. I'd like to display my clothes, have several racks and dressers. If I can't see my clothes, I forget about them and never wear them. I love fashion and I am proud of my wardrobe. I want getting ready in the morning to be an enjoyable experience, not one that leaves me frustrated claiming, "I have nothing to wear."

Guest Room by Rachel Reider Interiors, South End Brownstone

If at all possible, I would like to keep a true guest room. I love having a clean room available for last minute guests and place for family to stay without feeling like a burden. I would decorate this room to feel like a luxurious boutique hotel room with plush linens, great lighting, a luggage rack and a bedside carafe.

Nursery at Sarah Dorio photography

Someday Husband and I plan on adding children to our family. I love this nursery. The neutrals and whites would allow me to custom the look to sex depending on how many children we have. I love that there's plenty of space to play and favorite stuffed animals and books are within reach.

Nursery Closet by Tied with a Bouw

Similar to the food pantry, I love seeing products beautifully displayed. I think this "closet" is just amazing. Children's clothing and shoes are the sweetest and I'd love to see them everyday, instead of tucking them back in a closet.

Children's Bedroom by Mer Mag

Like the rest of my house, I want my children’s bedroom to be simple, yet well-designed; and of course, kid-friendly. I really like the idea of same-sex children sharing a sleeping room. Two twin beds, a well-organized closet and wide ombré striped walls is all they need. Oh, and that pirate ship is pretty cool, too. But, that’ll go in the playroom.

Play / Craft Room by Jute Interior Design, San Anselmo Bungalow

Just as my children need a nice room to sleep, they also need a great place to play! In fact, I do as well. One of my bedrooms will also be a craft / play center. It's a room where mess and creativity combine. In my opinion, every home needs a place where you're encouraged to color outside the lines and aren't always required to pick up your mess.

Backyard at House & Home

I don't need a big yard. In fact, I'd rather not have the maintenance and extra watering expense. Instead I want a well-designed patio living space. Dining alfresco is one of my favorite warm weather activities, so I definitely want a large dining space. I don't have a green thumb, so patches of sod, concrete pavers and potted plants is my idea of dream landscaping. I also love this cedar wall. We actually built one in our current backyard. Add a white sheet and it's perfect of outdoor movie nights.

Pool by Buchanan Architecture, Sunrise House at Berlin + Opsal Residence

Honestly, I am not really dreaming of a pool, but this one is something I could get excited about. The design is beautiful and would provide a refreshing escape on 100 degree Dallas summer days.

 

I hope you enjoyed my Dream Home. Hopefully someday I’ll be invited back to share my future real home (based on these photos) with you here on La Dolce Vita. If you get a chance visit me over at Modern Eve and say "Hi"!

10 comments:

The Peak of Tres Chic said...

What a great home! I love the tent in the children's room- how fun is that?! I also love the swanky pool and patio.

XO,

Sam
www.ThePeakofTresChic.com

Abbe Fenimore said...

Beautiful Katie!

Like Me Some said...

That tv/ bar is awesome! Love how it goes away and the drinks come out:)

Anonymous said...

SO LOVELY PICS:) I really like your blog ..there is so much nice inspiration.
I wish you a great and sunny week:)

LOVE Maria at inredningsvis.se
(Sweden)

Dr. Wheel said...

Great looking pictures! Each home has a different and unique look. The children's room looks fantastic. I've seen some of the home decor accessories being sold at World to Home.com. Thanks for the awesome post.

Lindsey said...

I love everything about these photos! The kitchens, bedrooms and outdoor spaces are so gorgeous!
http://lindseyyoung.net

Casa Très Chic said...

Love every single room you showed here, but that backyard from House & Home is on my Inspiration File.
Beautiful post, thanks for sharing you dream home with us.
Hugs
Tereza

Tobe | BIA said...

That's pretty gorge! Love the "bigger isn't always better" philosophy. That Katie is smart :)

Anastasia said...

I absolutely love the exterior of the home. That would closely resemble my dream home as well. Great home you have put together here!

Anastasia at Decor is like butter

Jane Kilpatrick Schott said...

Great exterior!