photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Summer Style: Palm Springs meets Spain

ad espana5

{The living room features a vintage sunburst mirror purchased in San Francisco, a sofa and rug from West Elm, along with several pieces from eBay. How many shelter magazines do you know that publish homes filled with inexpensive, attainable items?}

While in Barcelona, I made sure to pick up a few Spanish design magazines. My favorite is AD España, which in my honest opinion is much more fresh and inspiring than the American version of Architectural Digest. One of my favorite features in the July/August issue was this cheery summer house belonging to a couple from London. The wife is Spanish and the husband is American. They decided to buy a summer home near her hometown of Santiago de Compostela, Spain and wanted it to be the antithesis of their home in London. They painted the walls and floors bright white and filled the home with bold colors and patterns. The result is what they describe as “happy chic”, a la Jonathan Adler.

ad espana4 {The living room and dining room are one large, shared space, which is perfect for entertaining at the beach.}

ad espana8

{The living room features several patterns. The tray on the side table is by Svenskt Tenn, while the leopard print pillows are from Pierre Frey, and the Octopus pillow is from Thomas Paul.}

ad espana3

{The Master Bedroom features crisp, classic linens, another Thomas Paul Pillow, a rug from IKEA, chair from Habitat, nightstand by Lloyd Pearson, a silver and glass lamp by Paloma and Juan Garrido, and a classic Slim Aarons photograph.}

ad espana2 {I love the colors in this room. You all know how much I love patterns. I would probably be afraid that this would be too much in my own home, but I think it works well with the white walls and floors. It might be too much for everyday, but it’s perfect for the beach. What do you think?

The canopy bed was custom-made, trellis sheets and bird pillow from Zara Home, end table and chair from eBay.}

ad espana7

{This guest bedroom features the same style bed as the previous one. They both have pendant lights by Tom Dixon as well. This room features sheets from Pottery Barn and some really interesting little tables purchased on eBay.}

ad espana

{The black and white palette in the bathroom feels very clean and soothing. The lighting is all from IKEA, the countertop was custom-made, the chair is from Liberty and features a cushion upholstered in fabric by Diane von Furstenberg. This couple definitely has a favorite style of chair, don’t they?}

 

All Images Scanned by me from the July/August 2010 issue of AD España

16 comments:

Lilacandgrey said...

I love that orange rug..it's perfect in every way!
<3 Cara

Jade @ Flip Flops + Pearls Design said...

Love all the patterns and color...very "happy chic"!

Kelli said...

I would love to subscribe to that magazine~!

Liz @ It's Great To Be Home said...

Oh, I'm really really really in love with this home! Thanks so much for sharing!

Bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

Rooms like these are what finally sold me on white walls...it almost makes the room MORE colorful! SO fresh and happy.

Carpe Diem said...

Great pops of color...Who can resist the orange used in this space? I agree..if this is any example of what is featured in this magazine, then yes, it seems to outdo Architectural Digest.

Stephanie Sabbe said...

ahhh, I LOVE this space!! I would move right in. I need that mirror for a project.

Anonymous said...

I love it ALL.

The Iconic Blog.com said...

So gorgeous and fun!x

Averill said...

Love this home! The white is such a great backdrop to fun pattern and colorful accessories. Love even more how attainable this look is.

Marivic said...

I love the bright colors over the black and white interior. So much fun!

EDYTA & CO. INTERIOR DESIGN said...

oh my,, this space is so wonderful and bright,,, oh how i love white :)
Beautiful,, thank you for sharing :)

xoxo
Edyta
http://edytaandco.blogspot.com/

Fargerike Dagny said...

Love it! My favorite Spanish magazine is definitely Nuevo Estilo, but I haven't gotten my hands on the AD yet.

xx
dagny

Hello Lover... said...

Gorgeous! Love all the different patterns and love the use of high and low cost materials - I never tire of mixing up the elements

Marvin George said...

I have to say that Spanish Designers and Brands are the ones to watch right now. Check out Spanish modern lighting brand Metalarte at Foundry Light & Design.

Erin - Dwell and Tell said...

Thank you for posting these! I included one of your pics in a post:

http://www.dwellandtell.com/2011/03/sunburst-mirror-behind-sofa.html

Erin
www.dwellandtell.com