photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

10 Things I Can’t Live Without: Amy Dragoo of ABCD Design

Amy Beth Cupp Dragoo

Not only does Amy Beth Cupp Dragoo have the best initials ever, she is also a seriously talented lady. Amy has a background in stationery, freelance styling, interior décor, and floral design. Her blog, the aptly named ABCD Design is absolutely delightful! Aside from the stunning photography she includes, Amy’s thoughtful posts engage the reader and give us an insight into Amy’s lovely personality. And by the way, Amy is a Twitter all-star! She and I have developed a friendship through our tweeting interaction. She seriously has the whole Twitter concept down pat and always has great observations, advice, and news to share with her followers.

In the last year and a half, I discovered that there are plenty of things I can live without. You see, in April of '09, my husband and I sold our home and packed everything up and put it in storage. It has remained stowed away for our next step in life together to present itself. While my motto has always been 'Life is short, eat off the good china' what I have learned over the last year is that it really isn't about the good china - it's about finding peace within. While I am the first one to say that I love to surround myself with beautiful things, and I certainly derive immense pleasure from it, there are far greater things in life to take a step back and appreciate. 

abcd home

1) Home

Living with things I find beautiful, that have history, and tell our story make me feel grounded, centered and at ease. It brings peace, calm and comfort to my mind. In the last year I have had 5 addresses. We sold our home, we have lived in a furnished rental, as a nomad between our families in Knoxville and Detroit, and now again we're camping bare-bones in NYC. Most recently, we've recently committed again to life on the East Coast. We purchased a home in the hills of Connecticut. For that, I could not feel more blessed. This is an opportunity for us to feel stable once again, a place to call home. I will never take the feeling of being settled for granted again.

abcd husband

2) My husband

If there was anyone who could balance me out, who could compliment my personality best - he is the one.

abcd family

3) My Family

Without their support I wouldn't be who I am today.

abcd whole foods

4) Whole Foods

The goal for me is moderation in everything. In 1999 I attended the Natural Gourmet Institute's chef training program. It was there that I studied health supportive cooking. We covered everything from preparing recipes for a mostly plant based diet, to selecting organic ingredients, and utilizing whole grains. I feel lucky that I have this knowledge and am able use my skills when preparing food for my family and friends.

abcd fitness

5) Fitness

It's the cheapest anti-depressant out there!

abcd

6) Good Health

I can't deny that the three (whole foods, fitness and good health) are entwined. I love a good chocolate bread pudding just like the next guy, but in general I make an effort to select the best choices I can. Without good health, living life to the fullest is a far greater challenge. 

abcd barrington gold

7) Barrington Gold Espresso

I grew up with my Scottish Grandmother living in the house with us. She was in charge of feeding the birds and making the coffee. She did an impeccable job with both. Grandma Ann would perk the darkest, richest, hottest coffee you could imagine in a Corningware stovetop percolator. Since as early as I can remember, (3 maybe?) I used to sit with her and dunk "frycakes" (aka plain doughnuts) in coffee.  For me, my morning espresso is much more than a jolt of caffeine. It is about nostalgia, a ritual and the comforts of home.

abcd dresses

8) Dresses (preferably knee length)

Go ahead, ask anyone you know if they've ever seen me in a pair of pants. I dare you. *winkwink*

abcd visual organization

9) Visual Organization

For me - even if it's just a pile of papers - I want it to be aesthetically pleasing to my eye. Maybe it is my Virgo nature, or perhaps it is a mental illness, whatever it is I am all about putting things in a place to enhance their beauty!

abcd dog {Since there is nothing very visually appealing about Twitter, I thought I'd share this photo of my handsome friend Cecil.}

10) TWITTER!

I can't begin to explain to you the doors that Twitter has opened for me. I have met some of the most wonderful, interesting, supportive, creative and talented people on Twitter. It fascinates me to no end that I can be sitting on my laptop chatting with my all-time favorite interior designer, the writer of the last book I read, and even have job opportunities float across my screen in 140 characters or less. Amazing. Just truly amazing how connected our world has become!

 

LINKS to images:

#1 http://www.ABCDDesign.com

#2 http://www.ABCDDesign.com

#3 http://www.briandorseystudios.com/

#4 http://abcddesigns.tumblr.com/post/649785993/drikadas-raspberrytart-via-pisforparty

#5 http://abcddesigns.tumblr.com/post/643528147/via-hurricano

#6 http://abcddesigns.tumblr.com/post/672960736/drikadas-fuckyeahrandombeauty

#7 http://www.barringtoncoffee.com/barrington_gold.html

#8 http://weheartit.com

#9 http://thebedlamofbeefy.blogspot.com/2010/03/black-brown-out.html

#10 http://www.abcddesign.com

18 comments:

Sally@DivineDistractions said...

How fun it is to see this global view of you! I knew your vagabond story, but this post filled in some of the blanks. How special are you Miss ABCD ! You really have your priorities straight....maybe a little too straight, Virgo friend!

Karena said...

Hmmmm, another Virgo!! Yes Miss ABCD I can relate to so much of what you shared! A healthier lifestyle is still in the works!

Karena
Art by Karena

The Broke Socialite said...

LOVE Amy! Thanks to you both for sharing!

Living Livelier said...

She is adorable! I can't imagine living in 5 places within a year and remaining sane!
deb

ABC Dragoo said...

Sally, *straight* is JUST how THIS Virgo likes it~LOL!!! You're a dear, thanks for commenting today on my 10 things post. :)

Paloma,

Thank you ever-so-much for asking me to take part in your 10 things series. What a wonderful opportunity to get to know some of the La Dolce Vita readers! It's so sweet of you to ask me to take part.

I also really appreciate the kind words you said about me and my blog in the introduction too ~ I feel so lucky this morning!

All my best to you -- see ya on Twitter! ; )
xoxABCD

Abby said...

One of my favorite Top 10's. Amy is fabulous!

Jennifer Sanderson said...

Just "met" Amy through a different forum and have become "twitter friends" with her.. she is like a soul sister based on this article. Very well done. Thanks!!!

torrie said...

Thanks for introducing us to Amy! (& Amy- if you see this, nice to meet you!)

...very, very inspiring and I do love the part about Twitter! I've never seen it added in a top 10 or favorite list, but I fully agree! A lot of people don't 'get it' but it is so extremely valuable in allowing connections that could otherwise never me made or maintained. And for us info. craving people, it is like [virtual] candy!!

ABC Dragoo said...

@Torrie Nice to meet you too! : )

I can't even begin to explain the things that have fallen onto my desk - opening doors left and right - more so than my blog. Twitter is amazing.

@jennifer - we met on facebook, right? Through blog out loud? The chance to sit on the BOL panel came to me Through Twitter!

@Living Livelier and @semigloss chic, thank you dear-hearts! You are too kind. :)

@Karena you'll be amazed how much better you feel... it will make everything in life more beautiful!

@The Broke Socialite - you're a dear. Thanks for popping by and chiming in! xxoo

Ludmila {creamylife.com} said...

such an amazing post! loved this list and all the images are so beautiful!

ALL THE BEST said...

Isn't Amy the BEST. I LOVE her style and attitude. We actually meet via twitter and then had the good fortune of meeting in person. Thank you for this lovely profile.
xo

Creategirl said...

I love how Amy's personality comes through in such a caring way in all she does. It can be a blog comment, a recipe she posts, twitter chat or a personal email....she is one of the genuine ones!

ABC Dragoo said...

And thanks for commenting Ronda! I appreciate that you popped by to say a kind word, you're too kind.

Hopefully our paths will cross again soon
xox

Oh, Julieann! You're so sweet. : ) Thank you.
~Gosh, you guys have me all teary eyed today with your gracious comments!

xoxABCD

Unknown said...

such a fun read! i met amy last week in nyc and will confirm that she's every bit as lovely as she comes across on her blog and on twitter :) love the wedding shots!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

beautiful post and Amy is indeed a Twitter Queen, admirable!

lu said...

such gorgeous photos, im in love!

Anonymous said...

This is a phenomenally talented woman who clearly has her priorities straight. We could all really learn some lessons here. My every interaction with Amy has been so warm, giving, and gracious. Thanks for sharing her with even more people who should know her!

Hello Lover... said...

So many absolutely beautiful images!