photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, July 12, 2010

Adventures in Barcelona: Part One

IMG_3340

{Fabian and I atop the steps of the Museo Nacional d’Arte de Catalunya on Montjuic}

We had the most amazing time in Barcelona. I would have to say that this magical city has worked it’s way to the top of my list of favorite places. It is a beautiful place filled with extraordinary art and architecture. It has a storied past and a promising future. It is a place where you can enjoy mountain top views and thirty minutes later, relax on the beach. You can gaze at Gaudi’s Modernista architecture in the morning, and then wander through the medieval streets of the Gothic Quarter in the afternoon. Barcelona is as beautiful as any city could be, but the vibe there is very laid-back. Even in the most upscale areas, there isn’t an air of snobbery. The food is amazing just about anywhere you go and the people are both beautiful and kind. All in all, Barcelona is magical. I was so inspired while we were there, that must admit, coming home proved to be a little depressing for me. I cannot wait to go back and explore more of Barcelona’s treasures.

IMG_3289

{We took about 1,500 pictures during our week-long stay. I won’t be able to share them all with you, but I will do a couple of posts showing you the highlights from our trip, including a meeting with one of my design idols.}

IMG_3327

{The Cupola of the MNAC Museum on Montjuic}

IMG_3347

{Barcelona is part of Spain’s Catalonia identity. The people have a very strong regional pride and consider themselves not Spanish, but Catalán, which also happens to be the name of their language.}

 IMG_3363

{Gorgeous Produce at La Boquería Market}

IMG_3361

{¡Jamón! I must admit, I am not a huge fan of Spanish ham and prefer Italian prosciutto. Most foodies prefer the Spanish stuff, though!}

 IMG_3371

{Yummy Seafood at La Boquería}

IMG_3377

{This food stall had all types of exotic eggs.}

 IMG_3384

{Snails}

IMG_3394

{The Craziness of La Rambla, which I would equate to Times Square. They are two completely different places, but alike in the fact that they are a nerve center for tourists and pickpockets.}

IMG_3428

{A Gorgeous Building in the Eixample, the area in which we stayed}

 IMG_3434

{One of Gaudí’s Many Architectural Treasures, Casa Batlló}

P1050393

{Modernista Architecture on the Passeig de Gracia}

 P1050410

{Gaudí’s La Pedrera}

IMG_3132 {La Pedrera}

P1050369

{Another Modernista Building in the Eixample}

P1050370

{Buildings in the Beautiful Eixample District}

P1050372

P1050373

 

IMG_3527

{Fabian and I at Gaudí’s Masterpiece, the Sagrada Familia}

 IMG_3526

{The Sagrada Familia has been under construction since the late 1800s. Since the beginning it has been funded completely through public donations. It is estimated that it could be completed within the next 30 years.}

IMG_3513

{Sagrada Familia}

IMG_3510

{Sagrada Familia}

IMG_3470

{Sagrada Familia}

 IMG_3486

{Sagrada Familia}

IMG_3533

{Sagrada Familia}

 IMG_3534

{Notice the difference between the old and new construction.}

 

I will be sharing more pictures and details from our trip to Barcelona, this week, so be sure to check back.

 

Image Credit: Paloma Contreras for La Dolce Vita

Please do not use any of these images without my consent.

20 comments:

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

gorgeous of course!

kendall k. said...

Awesome photos! I have always wanted to go to Barcelona and these are very inspiring.

Have a great rest of the trip.

Jaime @ laviejaime said...

Great pics! Looks like you had gorgeous weather :)

Saara {www.varv.ca} said...

I'm a big big traveller and have been MANY places, but these photos made my stomach turn and get that nervous, excited feeling when I'm SUPER excited to see something. We are planning to visit Barcelona in the early spring, can't wait! Glad you had fun!! Looking forward to more photos...

Livi said...

Barcelona is so fun. I esspc. love all the modern art museums!

strumblings = samandlivi.blogspot.com

LindsB said...

Your photos bring back so many wonderful memories for me- I loved it there and was in awe of Gaudi's work. That was one amazing man!

Connie @ Sogni e Sorrisi said...

Ah, Barcelona. I definitely left part of my heart there.

Mango Gal said...

So gorgeous! The architecture is breath taking!

Averill said...

All that architecture is just, well, bananas!

And I love that Fabian sported is 'Stros hat throughout. ;)

Unknown said...

I can see that you had a wonderful trip. Barcelona is now at the top of my "next big trip" list!!! Can't wait to see more! Elizabeth

Laura Casey Interiors said...

Love your pictures, especially the Gaudi ones. It's on the top of my list. I will look forward to seeing more!

Anonymous said...

I too feel in love with Barcelona when we visited 3years ago. I was viewing the city through the eyes of a healing retired art teacher. My husband gave me our trip to celebrate then completion of my breast cancer treatments. Isn't he wonderful?
We were only able to stay 2 days but it was wonderful!!
I enjoyed your photos and comments.I can hardly wait til you share more of your photos. I think I ended up with about 700 pics.
Thanks again for bringing back memories.
lwtstudios

LiveLikeYou said...

Barcelona is a city that has long been on my list to visit. Seeing these photos and reading your comments I almost want to change my current vacation plans now!

Stephanie said...

Did you climb to the top of the La Sagrada Familia? The first time I was in B, they let us climb, the second time however, they were only running the elevator. It was such a beautiful and spiritual experience! So fun to revisit Barce via your photos!

www.texas2nashville.blogspot.com

Gabriela Cristal said...

I love Barcelona, is so beautiful!
Great pictures.

Nikki said...

WOW! Love the architecture! Those are some mammoth eggs and figs.

Bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

Ugh I NEED to go to there, so glad you two had a fabulous time!

Katie @ Haute Apple Pie said...

I love love love Barcelona. Will have to bump it up a few notches on my list of places to revisit!

bazaarofserendipity said...

These are soo gorgeous!! Im soo jealous. i want to go like yesterday!!!

www.bazaarofserendipity.blogspot.com

Hello Lover... said...

This looks like an absolutely amazing trip! That Sagrada Famila is insane and amazing. It would be such a treat to see it completed in our lifetime!