photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Guest Post: Emily A. Clark’s Favorite Room

I am delighted to share my favorite room on Paloma's blog today.  As a relatively new blogger, she is definitely an inspiration to me.  While I feel that our entire home is one big work in progress, I would say my favorite room-of-the-moment is our family room.  For the most part, it's "my room" after every one goes upstairs at night, but during the day, it's also a hub of activity.  And, the thing I love most about the space? I was able to pull it together using almost all bargain resources--everywhere from Craigslist to consignment shops. Nothing matches, which I feel gives the space a more collected-over-time look and feel.

To create a focal point when you enter the room, I started by painting one wall a dark navy (Stunning by Benjamin Moore).  I wanted to keep the room neutral overall, but went for a strong punch of pattern on the floor by using Pottery Barn's chain link rug (which I was also able to score at one of their outlets). 
To lighten things up, I added cream accents and brought in more navy and bolder patterns in the pillows.
One of my best finds?  Bookcases with carved detailing for just $20/each from Craigslist (a little TLC was required. . . .)
To see more of my home and decorating projects, drop by my blog.  Thanks again, Paloma, for the opportunity to fill in for you while you're away!

13 comments:

Ludmila {creamylife.com} said...

wow Emily, that's a gorgeous room! great job! Love the rug, it looks great along the walls and all the other navy-inspired details! xoxo

~Grace Happens~ said...

i have that same rug! it looks great in her room:) thanks for sharing!

Mary said...

I love the collected-over-time look and feel of the space! I'm a huge fan of Emily's blog!!

Meg said...

Wow! I love it and looks so homey! Great job Emily!

kad445 said...

Emily, where are those gold lamps from?!?!? I NEEEEEEEED them! Also, beautiful room, I agree with you and love the collected over time look.

crazymotheringchick said...

Wow, what a gorgeous room. I only hope to come up with something as nice. Great job!

Anna @ IHOD said...

Emily, you have such great taste. I really enjoyed this! Thanks ladies!

Samantha Hutchinson said...

Love the color combos with that blue... beautiful!

xx

http://couldihavethat.blogspot.com/

Averill said...

I think I agree with you Emily: your living room is absolutely my favorite room in your house (though I do love your office and your daughter's bedroom, too).

Marcus Design said...

Love love love this room Emily! The navy wall adds such a classic and beautiful feel. And those bookcases were such a fab find, the elbow grease you put into them was worth it. You've done such a great job!
Nancy

Will @ Bright.Bazaar said...

I need to get me some Stunning by Benjamin Moore - it's gorgeous! Love the black chevron pillow, too.

Amber said...

That blue wall IS "Stunning"! Especially with that gold mirror and fireplace. This room is the reason I started following Emily' blog. It inspires me!

Laura Trevey said...

Such a fabulous job Emily!!

xoxo Laura