photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, July 15, 2010

10 Things I Can’t Live Without: The Bedlam of Beefy

The Bedlam of Beefy
 
I have read Bradford Crowder’s blog, The Bedlam of Beefy for a good while now. I was first lured to it through Uncle Beefy’s amazing sense of humor and his fabulous eye for photography. He writes about all types of things, including FOOD, which happen to be some of my favorite posts. Honestly, his posts are total eye-candy. The images are stunning. The posts are heart-felt, honest, endearing, and damn funny. Seriously, if you haven’t already done so, be sure to check out Beefy’s blog. But first, check out his wonderful “10 Things” list here!
 
 
<span class= 10 Things I Can't Live Without <span class= Photos from The Barn House Boys.
1) Vintage Style ~ Kids, now I do like me a good dose of modern here and there and most would likely call me 'eclectic', but without the inherent charm of some vintage goodness it just wouldn't have that Beefy touch.
<span class= Photo by Uncle Beefy.
2) Coffee ~ To speak of a life without coffee is to speak of a life most gruesome! Kids, saying I like coffee just doesn't begin to touch upon my love affair with this elixir. I just can't function without the stuff. Plus, it invariably fits into my fantasy of sitting at a sidewalk cafe in Paris indulging in a cup or two.
<span class= Photo from "Closet Cooking".
3) Phở ~ Despite my intense love of all food... irregardless of that which is a sweet tooth most ravenous... one food shines above all for me! That is the soothing comfort of a piping hot bowl of Phở. I don't know if I was Vietnamese in a past life, and I've yet to visit during this time 'round, but the first time this wondrous culinary concoction hit my lips it was a spiritual homecoming unlike any other.
<span class= Photo by Uncle Beefy.
4) Cheese ~ I used to be vegetarian some years back. Given that I was in my formative and exploratory years, veganism was a logical progression. Kids, if there are wiser words I do not know of them when I hear the phrase, "Know thyself." Me without dairy is about as unnatural as Heidi Montag's 'after' photos! I just can't survive without the stuff. Its inherent lusciousness brought me to tears in a Parisian cheese shop for heaven's sake! Fortunately, the gentleman assisting me simply said, "I know... I know." Dairy runs deep, Kids. Really. Deep.
<span class= Photo by Uncle Beefy. (But right side photos taken from "The Balthazar Cookbook".)
5) Balthazar ~ Oh, Balthazar! How you treat me right. This is one of my all-time favorite restaurants and speaks to me in a way that only a close friend could. I love that I can feel the hum of New York with the lilt of a French accent all while drinking Pink Champagne and eating chocolate cake! (My last 'meal' I had there.) While I'd rather be there in the flesh, I'm always happy to do a little taste travel with the cookbook. And, should you choose to partake, I highly recommend trying the "Roasted Halibut"! It's slightly involved (though not difficult) and will have you and any others swooning over your culinary prowess! Just sayin'.
<span class= Photo by Uncle Beefy.
6) Gourmet Magazine ~ I know, I know! It is no more! But, fortunately, I have my library of past issues to keep me going. Perhaps one of the most heinous decisions in the publishing industry was to fold this illustrious publication. I cannot tell you the way this inspired me and a multitude of aspects of my life. The food! The photography! I'll gladly pay $120 for my yearly subscription should this beauty ever be awoken from her sad slumber. D'ya hear that Condé Nast?!
<span class= Photos by Uncle Beefy.
7) My Pets ~ I grew up with a variety of pets as a kid (even an adorable goat named "Damian"). These days we've got "Fergus" our dog, and two cats "Winston" (above) and his brother "Riley". Riley didn't make the cut at the photo shoot because he was too busy running around like a lunatic. Hair and makeup had no patience for his antics that day.
<span class= Photo from Erin Rosenow.
8) Pink & Orange ~ I don't know if it's from memories of West Coast road trips with my family and stopping off at the 1970's-styled Denny's along the way, but no color combo makes me so deliriously happy as pink & orange! Just looking at this picture makes my inner child squeal like you wouldn't believe. No, seriously. You'd have to hide your wine glasses and put a down payment on new eardrums with the shrill pitch he's emitting. Pure. Joy.
<span class= Photos from, who else, Victoria of sfgirlbybay. Why would I even try?
9) San Francisco ~ This place just sends me! Technically, it's my hometown. Technically. Unfortunately, my connection to this terrific town was made more through Summer vacations to visit family. (I was stuck in "Spudder" country (not Idaho). Sigh. Long story. Another time.) But each time I visit this place I feel that perfectly contented connection. If I win the lottery, Kids? Look for me here. Tartine is probably a good place to start searching.
<span class=
I'm guessing Rick Astley or Madonna's "Lucky Star" must've been playing in the background? 'Cause I am servin' it up hot, fresh, and.... [insert record scratch] Wait! I thought black was supposed to be slimming?!
10) The ability to laugh at yourself. ~ Okay, getting laughed at ain't always what you're looking for when rummaging around in your hope chest trying to find your self-esteem. But, let's face it, Kids, sometimes in life we all gotta laugh at ourselves a little. Y'know? Loosen up, lighten our load, and belt out a hearty guffaw even at our own expense. Life is too short to take everything so seriously. And, despite some people's best smoke-and-mirror efforts, none of us are perfect. We all make mistakes and the sooner we can dust ourselves off with a sympathetic giggle the sooner we can get on to the good stuff. I mean, c'mon, if I couldn't learn to laugh at myself given the tragedy that was the 1980's up there, I don't think any amount of therapy would have helped overcome that neon-flashing lapse in judgment!
Thanks for having me, Paloma!

24 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is such a nice post, made me smile. Won't exaggerate if I say that I LOVE when Uncle Beefy calls all of us "kids", makes me feel so innocent :). Oh and your dog is just a cutie (not much of a cat person). xoxo -Ludmilla (creamylife.com)

Lilacandgrey said...

This is my list to the "t"!!

rikshaw design said...

what a list...! you are a blast to read, i haven't heard rick astley's name since i had a culture club pin on my jean jacket..genious! we have to meet if you are in sf somtime!

Unknown said...

awe great list lovey! - i'm all about laughing @ myself and being EASY going - too much stress to be any other way! - ur list is very close to mine - *wink*

.. i FINALLY found the time to get back to "blog world" today - felt SOOOOO good in so crazy way - i missed everyone!

*kiss kiss*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

Ludmila {creamylife.com} said...

Oh such an amazing list! I won't exaggerate if I say that I LOVE when Uncle Beefy is calling all of us 'kids', that's so sweet. Uncle Beefy, your love for pink & orange is actually my weakness, adore the colors! xoxox

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

Unc Beefy totally rocks ~ and he definitely deserves several standing ovations for this list!

Ashley Turner said...

Just started following Beefy! Thanks for sharing!

Also, went to Balthazar a few times when I lived in New York and I loved it! Will look forward to getting my hands on that cookbook for sure!

nelya said...

Just when you think he can't possibly get anymore awesome, he does.

nelya said...

Just when you think he can not possibly be anymore awesome, he is.

Sabrina said...

I would agree! The feeling is very mutual!

xxSabrina
www.rubypr.com/blog

Unknown said...

Such a great read! I love pink and orange too :) In fact, that's the palette I'm using for my new bedroom! Better invest in new eardrums ;)

Uncle Beefy said...

Hi, Kids! [insert blushing here] Thanks for all the swell comments and praise. Y'all are too much but I'll take it just the same! (If my head gets any bigger I'll need a shoehorn just to put on a turtleneck!) Anyhoozles, nice to see new faces and always a pleasure to see some of my loyal and trues. :)

Paloma, thanks so much for having invited me to do this! SUCH fun!

(And if you have any pull with Condé Nast? If you could put in a word. Just sayin'.)

Elizabeth said...

Oh dear Uncle, I am ever-so glad to know I'm not the only one who's gotten emotional about cheese. A creamy camembert can have me weeping tears of joy, a fridge without dairy can reduce me to sobs of anguish. :)

Lovely list, and I've enjoyed your writing as always- thank you for sharing!

Miss J said...

Uncle Beefy is wonderful! Both in the blog world and in person - I feel lucky to know him in both worlds! An uhm, that senior class photo - totally awesome, B. Hottie.

Marcus Design said...

So much fun, I thoroughly enjoyed this post. I will have to pop over to his blog now!
Nancy

Bailey@ peppermintbliss said...

I was immediately sold by the logo, but the answers just made me even happier! Thanks for making the introduction!

Unknown said...

I love this list... it's perfect! And I completely agree about Gourmet... such a travesty! Thanks for the introduction, I just added The Bedlam of Beefy to my Google reader.

Uncle Beefy said...

Elizabeth, Miss J, Nancy, Bailey, and Terri... thanks to all of you for the sweet words and not thinking me completely crazy. Well, thanks for not actually *saying* you think I'm crazy! ;) Hope to see you 'round The Bedlam sometime soon! Actually, I hope to see me around The Bedlam soon! But I'll be lookin' for ya's! :)

melissa davis said...

Oh UB, WHAT a list!!! ;) No wonder we get along so well- I think my list- which will be next month- could have been EXACTLY the same!! haha! LOVE that last photos, by the way.... you are the cutest and funniest. Hope to see you sometime in the near future.

xxM

Kelli said...

Paloma you are a woman after my own heart. I just got back from Paris and am dying without the espresso everyday and tried Pho for the first time in Chinatown and loved it!!! And your description of cheese I had to share with my friend because we feel the exact same. Whole Foods triple cream is an awesome one while you're home and not in Paris for the real thing...love your articles :)

Unknown said...

Kelli, you're sweet, but I can't take credit for this. I wrote the intro, but the rest was written by my featured guest, Bradford of the blog, The Bedlam of Beefy.

Parisbreakfasts said...

Just terrific
AND adorable
merci beaucoup
carolg

FROM THE RIGHT BANK said...

For our next birthday, I say we meet up at Balthazar for pink champagne. I'll bring some Rick Astley . . . What could be better?!

24 Corners said...

I think we were separated at birth UB! Best list ever...

xo J~