photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Met Costume Gala Honors the American Woman

{Francisco Costa with the beautiful Zoe Saldaña and Diane Kruger, both in Calvin Klein Collection}

The Metropolitan Museum’s Costume Institute held its annual benefit and gala last night. This year, the theme was American Woman: Fashioning A National Identity. As usual, the A-list stars were out in full force and most of them rocked the red carpet. These are some of my favorite looks of the evening.

{Jessica Alba in Sophie Theallet for Gap (who knew!)}

{Brooke Shields in Michael Kors}

{Sienna Miller in Emilio Pucci}

{Gisele Bundchen in Alexander Wang with husband Tom Brady in Tom Ford}

{If anyone could rock this look, it’s Alexa Chung in 3.1 Phillip Lim. I sort of love this look. Thoughts?}

{Camilla Belle in a beautiful red gown by Jason Wu}

{Sarah Jessica Parker in Halston Heritage, which she has been collaborating on. Isn’t the color gorgeous on her?}

{Gwen Stefani with hubby, Gavin Rossdale in a L.A.M.B. gown of her own design. She looks edgy, yet feminine and thoroughly modern.}

{Emma Watson wearing Burberry with designer, Christopher Bailey… there isn’t anything American about this, but she looks fantastic!}

{In my next life, I’d like to look like Bar Rafaeli, who wore Rag & Bone to the Gala last night.}

{Kristen Bell in Diane Von Furstenberg}

22

{Anne Hathaway looked amazing in this nude Valentino confection. She always hits it out of the park.}

{The Ultimate Glamourpuss: Jennifer Lopez looked stunning in Zuhair Murad.}

{Hugh Dancy and Claire Danes, both in Burberry}

{I die! Rachel Zoe in Marc Jacobs

I must say, the fit and color look fantastic on her, but is the gown velvet? Is it acceptable to wear a velvet gown in May?}

Who was your favorite of the evening? Of the looks I have featured in this post, who got it right and who didn’t in your opinion?

Image Credit: Style.com

16 comments:

Ariel Yve said...

They all look lovely, but my favorites are Camilla Bell and Jennifer Lopez. They both looked flawless.

TKTC said...

All gorgeous for me (particularly the stunning twosome in Calvin Klein, Camilla Belle, Gwen Stefani and Emma Watson). The one I have to disagree on is Rachel Zoe. I love the color and don't even mind the texture but the fit? Sagging at the sides and center, too long, generally just too big. It's hard to look at someone that painfully sick with all of the warning signs and still see them as iconic. I know that's dark because she is clearly very very talented but it's hard for me to watch.

Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

Jennifer Lopez hasn't looked that good in fo-eveh!

Is it just me or is everyone bronzed and extra-thin in these pics?? Love 90% of these dresses. The only one I really can't decide on is Sienna Miller's gown... I think I would have liked it more if it was long all the way around. The low neckline would have been enough skin, I think.

And Alexa Chung is one of those people who can do whatever the hell she wants - it always looks cool.

Camilla Belle looks like a wax figure in that photo... hah LOVE her look though.

Alaina

Averill said...

I really love Anne Hathaway and Claire Danes' looks -- really classic and appropriate for the evening.

And I think the answer re a velvet gown is it's NEVER a good idea. :)

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

I love all your picks!! Camille Belle looks stunning!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

I loved Jennifer Lopez, I know it was a classic princess look but I thought she looked fab. And Sienna Miller and Camille Belle.

I wasn't really feeling Alexa Chung or Rachel Zoe. I guess velvet in May is OK if you're Rachel Zoe and its going to be the big thing come fall?!

The Iconic Blog.com said...

SO glam. Everyone hit it out of the park - but I must say Miss Belle is my fav.x

CGH said...

Emma Watson looked so gorgeous. She was my favorite of the night! In an interview, Emma said America style was very relaxed and simplistic, which is why Christopher made the white Burberry gown for her. It's edgy, but at the same time it's simplistic and comfortable.

Anonymous said...

Jessica Alba, Jennifer Lopez, Camilla Belle and Anne Hathaway are a few of my favorites. I am a fan of the long, flowy gown for that type of event. I disliked some of the shorter dresses but have to say Model Hilary Rhodes look beautiful in a short look.

Unknown said...

camilla belle, hands down. she has never looked better.

Anonymous said...

Okay I was with you until . . . Rachel Zoe . . . that dress is way to big! I do like the color on her but the fit is atrocious!

Marcus Design said...

The yellow Marc Jacobs gown is pretty ah-mazing!
Nancy

Laura Casey Interiors said...

I think everyone looks pretty stunning esp. Jennifer Lopez, SJP and Camilla Belle. Don't love the velvet in May. I am down on the bayou so thanks for the recap, out of the loop for a few days :)

helen tilston said...

Camilla Belle is my fav
My least favourite Sarah Jessica

Carpe Diem said...

I love ...I mean I die...for the dress Rachel Zoe is wearing. The texture looks so rich.

Laura said...

I thought the stand-out girls in dresses were Emma Watson and Jennifer Lopez...they looked devinely fresh and youthful! As for Zoe, I thought she looked a bit like a bag woman in that yellow sack-of-a-dress!