photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Bringing Home the Birkin

I was recently given a book recommendation by my friend, Betty who said she had just read the most wonderful book about a man who traveled the world buying ultra covetable Hermès Birkin bags. Intrigued, I asked if it was fiction and she told me it was actually a memoir. A few days later, my copy of Bringing Home the Birkin arrived from Amazon. I was instantly smitten! Not only does the book tell the story of a clever and enterprising man who makes a career of securing some of the world’s most sought-after luxury goods for his clients, it is also incredibly well-written, charming, and funny. Author Michael Tonello truly has a gift for story-telling.

BHTB

{Anatomy of A Birkin Illustration by Muntsa Vicente}

Tonello starts off by recounting his sudden move from Massachusetts to Barcelona. What started off as a way to make some quick money eventually becomes an incredibly lucrative career when Michael cracks the formula for purchasing a Birkin without having to put his name on the dreaded two year waiting list. Along the way, he meets a couple of mentors, women with very expensive Birkin addictions (one character purchases multiple crocodile Birkins at a time), and some unsavory characters. Bringing Home the Birkin is a fun, enjoyable read that is bound to appeal to fashionistas and anyone who loves a great travel story. If you are looking for a fun read, I would highly recommend this fabulous book!


{The Allure of the Birkin as told by Michael Tonello with a clip from Sex and the City}

For more Birkin eye-candy, check out this post about Victoria Beckham’s out of this world Birkin collection!

19 comments:

Kelly @ Notable Inspiration said...

I read that book last year! it was fantastic, hilarious, and actually really interesting! I think every girl secretly covets a Birkin!

Cardigans and Couture said...

Loved, Loved, Loved this book and have suggested it to many friends. I wish they would make it into a movie!

Welcome said...

This book is the stuff.. I read it a few months ago after it was given to me by a girlfriend. It is really funny and and a great read...You know what, they should make it into a movie..

XOXOX
Kiki

Anonymous said...

This book was laugh-out-loud funny -- I had to stop reading it on the subway because I was getting stares from people with all my giggling!

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

sounds exciting! ill definitely read it

The Iconic Blog.com said...

I will be downloading this on my kindle tonight. Thanks!xx

Michael Tonello said...

Thanks so much for reading (and posting)! I've just posted this to my Facebook page. If you by any chance come to Barcelona shoot me off an email and we'll have a cup of tea or glass of wine.
Be well!
michael~

Unknown said...

I will def check it out!

Michael Tonello said...

p.s. Tate rocks. (what a cutie!)

Beth McC. said...

I cant believe you posted this! I randomly checked this book out adn I read it in 2 days! It was so good!! I LOVED it and now I want to be an "ebayer"!

Unknown said...

Thank you, Michael! I am so glad you enjoyed the post. We are headed to Barcelona in July. It would be wonderful to have a cup of Earl Grey or a glass of Rioja.

Please let Dali and Gala know that Tate says "Hola!".

Hello Lover... said...

I love finding new books! This one looks great. I'm so fascinated by this whole Birkin phenomenom!

Hello Lover... said...

oooh Michael - how great of you to comment!

Sticky Penguin said...

It sounds great - will have to check it out. Definitely gets my vote for the best title in a long time... just fabulous!

Global Atelier said...

I loved reading that book - great story and I covet his amazing apartment in Spain!

haircutting in high heels said...

Thank You Paloma, just checked my local library and it's mine! Your blog is looking lovely! Happy Weekend,
Gina

Jess said...

One of my favorite sex in the city clips! I will have to add this book to my list!

Anonymous said...

Adding to my summer reading list now! (Along with "I Was Told There'd Be Cake" and "The Carrie Diaries".)

flip flop and fancy free said...

I loved this book, so funny and creative! Thanks for your great blog, I love reading! Have a great week!