photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Friday, December 10, 2010

Fabulous Room Friday 12.10.10

I was just looking through Mary McDonald’s new book again the other day and I kept going back to this glamorous sitting room, which is located just off the designer’s bedroom. Ever since the space was first published in Domino a few years ago, it seems the bedroom has gotten all the love, while the sitting area hasn’t received as much attention. This room did something for me that most other rooms have not been able to. It made me love blue. Now, don’t get me wrong. I like blue just fine, although I must admit, I do love it’s cousins turquoise and teal. Anyhow, when it comes to pure, unadulterated blue without mixing in any shades of green, this is the first space that has made me truly contemplate decorating with blue. The rich navy is such a deep shade that it appears warm rather than cold, like most blues. I also like the fact that McDonald paired the rich, blue hue with an ultra-bright pink and some gilded touches. The gold makes a huge difference. When rooms are decorated with cool blue hues and silver accents they seem so cold to me, whereas this has the opposite effect. Brava Mary!

Don’t forget, we are giving away a copy of Mary’s new book along with several other fabulous gifts on the High Gloss Happenings page! Bon weekend!

20 comments:

Ampersand Design said...

Just gorgeous. My copy of Mary's book is winging it's way to me from Amazon as we speak. Hurry up! I can't wait to check it out.

Sandy K

Karen said...

I think that I read that the rug was an inexpensive one that was painted with the geometric pattern. What a smart way to get a high end look.

Joie de Viv said...

I admit I'm not a fan of blues in general but this room just looks so luxe and soothing. The touches of brass make me like it even more!

xx Vivian @ http://diamondsandtulle.blogspot.com

Laura Casey Interiors said...

That is exactly the color of my dining room - so obviously I love it too :)

Design Elements said...

i finished reading the book a week ago. it's wonderful. have a great weekend

The Iconic Blog.com said...

This room is incredible. The navy blue is SO CHIC!xx

carolyn said...

WOW. how striking. so loving navy and those splashes of pink are perfection.

Jennifer @ Marcali Designs said...

This room is divine! My walls are a very similar color, but my husband would never go for the pops of pink. I love it though!

Unknown said...

Love the graphic quality of this space. The high contrast, navy and white combo is great!

quintessence said...

I already liked blue, so you can imagine how much I like this space. It's the pink I don't ordinarily love - but here as a pop it's just fine with me. McDonald's book is amazing - I reviewed it (along with several others) for my local bookstore and one of the things I mentioned was how her spaces are so layered that you can look at them many times and always find something new!

Carla said...

Such gorgeous colour, what a beautiful combination, hot pink and royal blue. Carla

Hamptontoes said...

My favorite elements of the room are the navy blue and rug! I'm a huge fan of a deep, rich navy...did my son's room in navy.

Eat. Live. Laugh. and sometimes shop! said...

Oh! That room made me gasp! I love it!

Verdigris Vie said...

I think i love that deep blue..

Vie

My Galveston Cottage said...

What a show stopper! wow.
Happy HOlidays. My best for Gloss. Super idea.

EDYTA & CO. INTERIOR DESIGN said...

I agree, this room is super amazing! The bold tones are so glam!

istarblog said...

indeed beautiful dear..Love it

finkalixius said...

wow this was a great place to have a peaceful awesome day

jessicaraesommer said...

This is the most unexpected color combination for me... but it works! In fact it's quite lovely!

Thank you for sharing, I just stumbled happily upon your blog, and am very delighted to have found it~

Jessica

http://lovelyuglydesign.blogspot.com/

Marta G. said...

Like the bedroom!
Kiss

http://martasgaspar.blogspot.com