photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, September 16, 2008

This Week's Quote

Hermann Park, Houston, TX

"When you arise in the morning, give thanks for the morning light, for your life and strength. Give thanks for your food , and the joy of living. If you see no reason for giving thanks, the fault lies within yourself." - Tecumseh Shawnee

I'm sure most of you have seen footage of the devastation caused by Hurricane Ike in Galveston, Texas and in my hometown of Houston. Thankfully, we are doing just fine. Thanks to those of you who e-mailed and kept us in your thoughts.

Fabian and I were incredibly lucky and didn't suffer any damage to our property, but I know several people who did and we do not take our good fortune for granted. We were only without power for about 22 hours which is nothing compared to how long other people are having to wait. My parents had a couple of trees and their fence fall, while my sister, who lives in The Woodlands area north of the city, had several older trees fall on her street and had her transformer blow up. My entire family is without power, so they are all staying with us.

Most of the city is still without power and many have suffered extensive damage to their homes. I am so proud of how our city has banded together to help each other out and hope that we can rebuild Houston and Galveston soon.

4 comments:

Courtney said...

Lucky you with power! Glad to hear y'all are OK and doing fine. Hoping Houston gets back on their feet soon!

cotedetexas said...

Courtney - she's just bragging! while we are suffering with no power - haha! just kidding P. You are really lucky though - enjoy it = it's the pits without it for so long. Glad y'all were alright - that side of town was pretty lucky. My mother in law did fine too - and had her power on the next morning!
Joni

Adriene Rathbun said...

So glad you are safe and don't have damage to your home.

MrsKatherineA said...

SO glad you guys stayed safe, I hope Houston continues to recover quickly! I really love that quote.