photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Friday, September 19, 2008

Should I Move?


Ever since the whole "New York Fashion Week: Sex and the City Style" debaucle, I have been thinking about finally making the move over to Typepad or WordPress. Sure, I've given it a quick thought in the past, but as is typical of me, I decided to stay with what I know, what had been comfortable, but now I am beyond annoyed. I love my blog and the fact that it has allowed me to express my thoughts, explore new interests, and meet some fabulous new friends. However, the truth of the matter is, I don't get paid for this. (Yes, I know I have some ads on here now, but they haven't brought anything in.) I do it because I love it, but when I spend HOURS on something only to have it disappear, it becomes extremely frustrating!

So, I'd love to hear your opinions if you currently use TypePad or Wordpress and especially if you've made the move from Blogger to one of the other platforms. {Bueller...}Were you able to take all of your posts, hyperlinks, pictures, and comments with you? Were your readers able to find you? I want to be able to take my work with me.There is so much to consider! Thank you!

9 comments:

Polka Dot Bride said...

I started on blogger and moved to self hosted wordpress. (Though there is a free version) You can definitely export blogger to wordpress- every post and hyperlink will be imported into your new blog complete with your new formatting :) Email me if you need help or anything!

Unknown said...

I've noticed that bloggers that use Wordpress and Typepad have really nice layouts. Are they standard or do you have to create them yourself?

cotedetexas said...

Paloma - listen to me, my friend. Before your move please please please try Live Writer. Download it for free. live writer. it's a windows application - it's phenomenal. There's an automatic save - you set the time. you can drag and cut and paste pictures into it. it's the best - i NEver use blogger's format anymore. all you have to do is download it and then you set it up through a series of screen - it's SO easy. If you know windows - you will love this. try it first. please!!!!!!!!!! there's only one glitch to it and i can help you with that. ok? it's no big deal.

sarah b. said...

i use wordpress & love it. it's really simple to use once you get in there & take a look around.

the free version of wp offers a set of templates you can use and edit just a little. the self-hosted version (which is what i use) is fully customizable. you can also sign up with a site host that makes installing it really, really easy. there are loads of free templates online for you to grab & edit as you like (usually with just the request that you keep a little line on there in the footer saying who designed it). it can be daunting at first, but is definitely management & gets much easier with practice.

Teal Chic said...

I just posted on this, because I nearly lost everything on blogger the other night. I tried changing the template, and all that was left was a bunch of jibberish. Fortunately I was able to go to my old template......and regain my header and posts. Good grief!!!

I'm trying to figure out if I should make the move to wordpress or typepad. Good luck with your decision!

Tiaa @ EYInteriors said...

I am in the same situation. I would love to know your final verdict and why. I do think typepad and wordpress looks more professional however I love how easy blogger is to use.

Good Luck!

Tiaa

Brilliant Asylum said...

The only other one I have tried is tumblr. It looks cool and is really simple--but the lack of a comment section bummed me out. What is the point of blogging if you can't connect with other people.

Adriene Rathbun said...

I think maybe the problem is photobucket and not blogger. I had a similar experience today when I tried to use html from photobucket and it posted only part of my photo. Not sure if this helps, but thought I'd at least tell you. :)

Unknown said...

Thanks for the heads up, Adriene!