photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Lucky Lady: Anna Kohler

renovation style anna kohler

{Anna Kohler sits at her refurbished childhood desk in her Minneapolis apartment. I love her gallery wall!}

On Sunday afternoon, I picked up the latest issue of Renovation Style after my friend, Sally Wheat shared the most gorgeous apartment with me that she knew I would love. The Spring 2010 issue features the most drool-worthy home a girl could dream of! It belongs to a very lucky lady named Anna Kohler. Caitlin posted about this on her blog earlier this week, but I couldn’t resist sharing the space with you. If you’ve already seen it, chances are you won’t mind looking at the beautiful rooms again, and if you haven’t, then you’re in for a treat.IMG The 940 square foot apartment is filled with feminine touches. Anna purchased the apartment in the 1948 building back in 2007.

renovation style6Architect Laurel Ulland designed a traditional millwork window bench to hide the radiator. The window seat features a metallic, faux-leather cushion and pillows upholstered in fabrics by David Hicks, Kelly Wearstler, and Jamie Drake. The girl has excellent taste!

renovation style5 The living room features traditional furnishings in neutral colors accented with bold touches like fuchsia pillows and gilded mirrors.

renovation style2

I absolutely adore the contrast of the dark wood flooring and the bright, white walls and mouldings. I also like that the chandelier blends into the room so seamlessly. It has an ethereal quality. The dining chairs remind me of Katie Lee Joel’s dining rooms (one of my favorites).  Notice the frosted glass door which leads to the utility room.

renovation style3

How gorgeous is this kitchen? Custom white cabinetry, vintage-inspired lighting (from Circa), carrara marble (she chose polished rather than honed), and lucite Ghost Stools by Philippe Starck with Kelly Wearstler fabric… sheer perfection!

IMG_0002 Marble, Marble Everywhere…

renovation style

Is this not the most amazing, feminine bedroom? Anna balances all of the pink with clean lines and masculine details such as Thomas O’Brien Selecta Desk Lamp from Circa Lighting and the upholstered headboard with nailhead trim. I am honestly in love with every fabric in here from the ikat to the David Hicks’ La Fiorentina drapes!renovation style4The nickel washbasin is in keeping with the original time period of the building. Anna did a wonderful job of staying true to the buildings original details while bringing them up to speed for the present day.

The article doesn’t say what Anna does for a living, just that she spent last summer studying design at Parsons in New York. Anna, if you’re out there, I’d love to interview you sometime!

 

Image Credit: Renovation Style

30 comments:

traci zeller designs said...

OMGoodness, that is amazing!! I am IN LOVE. I am going to buy that magazine today! Paloma, thanks for sharing!

Erin Gates said...

AHHH- I literally just scanned these all in to post tomorrow!!! :) Great minds think alike! I died when I saw this place. it's perfection. I want to know what she does for a living!

Jaime Rogers said...

Love the Osbourne and Little paper in the bathroom...but O & L can do no wrong in my book;) Thanks for sharing, a very well appointed space, love the frosted door panel too!

Best,
Jaime

Averill said...

Anna's taste in fabric is divine, but I think I actually love her kitchen and bathroom the best (but you really can't go wrong with Carerra marble, can you?).

Unknown said...

Erin, I'm sorry!! That was totally how I felt when I saw it on Caitlin's blog the other day knowing I had planned to blog about it today. I'm not surprised that everyone loves it, though. I think it's one of those spaces that will make the rounds for a long time. Please don't feel deterred by me to post it. By all means, please do. I would love to hear your thoughts on the space. :)

Karena said...

Love it, the bedroom palette is amazing. So much can be done with a smaller space to make it fabulous!
Karena

Jami - XOimagine said...

Yes! Yes! Yes! What a perfect little apartment. And I love it even more since I know it is in Minneapolis ;)

Sarah Ring said...

What a gorgeous apartment! I am loving the APT inspiration right now!

Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

SO beautiful! So much pink - but not in a super, girly way. I would looove to live there. That bed looks just like the new grey nailhead option at West Elm. I wonder if that's what it is? Of course that bed just came out... hmm... interesting.

Cheers,
Alaina

Helena - A Diary of Lovely said...

love the kitchen and marble counters, oooh i really want marble counters like my mom's
Great post, thanks for sharing

Erin said...

I love the branch lamps! Any idea where they're from???

Crystal @ Plush Palate said...

SImply gorgeous! She has excellent style. It's so well tailored and edited yet completely original and unique! I hope you get to interview her on your blog :)

xo,
Crystal

Maddie said...

I seriously, seriously think this might be my favorite house tour of all time.

Dumbwit Tellher said...

Hard to believe that you have all that gorgeousness packed into under 950 sq. ft. Anna's home is incredible and such a delight to take in; plus she lives in beautiful Minneapolis!

Thanks for the fun Paloma, it was my first encounter with her amazing style.

x deb

Unknown said...

Awesome post!! Love the interiors!!

Beatriz said...

Just joined the blogging world... this is great!!! Thanks for sharing, I will definitely be picking up this magazine and following this blog :)

http://thatgirlinpearls.blogspot.com/

west by south said...

After reading your blog, I went out and bought the magazine! Great inspriation for a small place!

Marija said...

I agree that the bedroom is a gem. And I think the piece that subtley ties it all together is the rafia/nailhead trim nightstand. Bungalow 5, I believe. One of my all time favorite finds. Adorable.

Christine said...

I died when I saw these pictures, absolutely spectacular! I hope you have the opportunity to interview the subject, I would love to know what she does for a living. Thanks for sharing!

Kathysue said...

Gorgeous and classic with a twist, love the pop of fuschia through out. The ghost stools in the kitchen are wonderful, Great post!

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Love the kitchen and dining area. Adore those stools.

Evelyn said...

Do you know where that upholstered bed is from? I have been looking for that shape forever! Please let me know if the magazine lists sources. Thanks!

Hello Lover... said...

I am disgustingly obsessed with every inch of this home.

Unknown said...

Ok, I have exciting news! Anna contacted me after I posted this to let me know that she reads La Dolce Vita! Yea! To answer a few questions, she is currently a student at the University of Minnesota. The gilded branch lamps were purchased at Z Gallerie in 2007 and her bed is the Dakota from Oly Studio.

She will be doing a "10 Things" post on LDV very soon, so keep an eye out for it! :)

Evelyn said...

Thank you for letting me know. Love her bedroom!

Red Lipstick said...

I have to work some of these ideas into my home. I love this apartment! The colors are so warm and inviting.

I've signed up to receive postings and am now a follower. I look forward to reading the interview!

Martha said...

Is that a wool blanket on the bed? The drapes and the fuschia blanket are amazing but then again I am a pink girl! If Anna reads this I would love to know where I can get that bed cover.....beautiful apartment.

Vanessa Stern said...

Thank you for sharing - I am so inspired and in love with the 20s architecture and style. By the way, love the new look of your blog - the typography is candy for my eyes!!!

xoxo,

Vanessa
www.vanessaandvalentine.blogspot.com

Mélanie A. said...

I like these posts about " ten things" It is funny to read what poeple think

Anonymous said...

I have all of Kelly Wearstler design books so I was thrilled to read about Anna's chair fabrics! I had to purchase the magazine issue thanks to this post! Wish Anna lived close to me to help me design my home plus find me a great desk for my office similar to her's, I cant find nothing girly but business like!