photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Friday, February 5, 2010

Fabulous Room Friday 02.05.10

sara ruffin costello4

 srcostello

 sara ruffin costello

The home of former Domino Editor Sara Ruffin Costello and her talented photographer husband, Paul (yes the Paul Costello) is one of my favorite spaces to ever be featured in Domino. Perhaps I am on a blue kick since I just received the March 2010 issue of House Beautiful. It usually isn’t my favorite color, but I love the deep ink blue used in these drapes, which play beautifully upon the height of the windows.  sara ruffin costello2

The simple palette created through ebonized floors, black bentwood chairs, and white accent pieces makes the beautiful blue hue stand out perfectly without feeling cold as blue often does. Everything about this room fits the chic, collected aesthetic that Domino was so well-known for. I think the overall look of the room would be fairly easy to recreate. The key would be in finding the right textiles, but most of the other pieces could be found fairly easily and if you were to use similar vintage pieces, you could probably even do it on a budget!

If you’re in Houston, be sure to visit the Urban Market this Sunday! You may just find some pieces to create your own Domino-esque room. Oh how I miss that magazine! Happy Weekend!

 

Images via Domino and High-Heeled Foot in the Door

25 comments:

Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

How did Domino ever fold!??!? I mean seeeeeriously.

V said...

No WAY. I was just about to post this same set of pictures! I am totally inspired by this room right now.

Chic Coles said...

Love that mirror in the dining room...the color of the whole room is spectacular. Have a great weekend!

A Perfect Gray said...

I am totally gone over that white mirror. I do think you are right - some of these things are 'do-able.' Such inspiration! Thanks!

Sarah Ring said...

Will you be at the Urban Market this weekend!? I really need a cheap side table and am highly debating making a trip out!

Katie @ Noodle and Boof said...

LOVE THIS!!!! And it helps with all the plants/sunlight and she's in a short! I would die for summer at the moment!

Chic Coles said...

There are just not enough words on how we all miss that fun magazine!!!!!!!!!!!!! Have a great weekend. Blue does it for us.

Sarah said...

The color! The pattern! I swoon for those drapes! Paloma or anyone, do you have any ideas for sourcing a similar drapery fabric? I have been looking everywhere with little luck.

Francine Gardner said...

Domino was such a great, young vibrant magazine....just as these images show

Connie @ SogniESorrisi said...

Blue *is* my favourite colour, although I was never huge on it for interiors, but it is growing on me lately. I love that mirror, too!

Kathysue said...

I miss Domino. I still can not believe that they did not survive. They always had a fresh take on decor. Love the drapes as well. It is sophisticated but relaxed. Hard to do sometimes but she has done it very well. Kathysue

mrsplainjane said...

ooh- I like and I think her ikat pillow is similar to some placemats I have that I adore. Always love your posts!! So inspiring!
xoxo

Unknown said...

Sarah- Jeune Marie, I will be at the Urban Market shopping. I won't have a booth this time. You never know. You may find just what you're looking for!

Sarah, I think Camila listed a source for similar fabric in her post. I think it may have been Roberta Roller Rabbit. Good luck!

ashlina {the decorista} said...

oh yes! this is a dining room to dream for. i absolutely love the blues in it. every hue. great post.
happy weekend paloma!

:)

Emily A. Clark said...

So simple, yet so sophisticated.

And, I think I might break out the white spray paint on my current dining room mirror. . .

Cristin // Simplified Bee said...

Love those her window treatments.

xo,
cristin

Jordana said...

Gosh - I love that mirror!

Kirsten Krason said...

I love everything about this room especially the window treatments and bentwood chairs.

Megan said...

I love the feel of this room and am happy to put two and two together that this is Paul's very lucky lady! What a stylish pair, no wonder this room is to die for!

That Girl in Pearls said...

I never thought I could care about a magazine so much. I just about CRIED when I found out Domino was folding so I made sure to hold on tight to all the mags I still had lying around the house. I still go through them from time to time.

She is BRILLIANT. Obviously, I mean look how effortlessly chic she is? Loving her place.

Ok, this is making me sad. I miss my Domino...

Lydia, Clueless Crafter said...

Other than the moody, inky blue, don't you wish you would look as natural, as meant for a space as Ms. Ruffin Costello does in hers?


It goes to show that we are just as important to the space as the objects within it!

My Notting Hill said...

Love tose blue and white curtains - what a great pattern!

red ticking said...

the fabulous color "ink" is amazing... esp in these lovely curtains.... there is something about blue and white in the spring... i think we all crave it... i sell so much of it this time of year... i love your blog..x pam

Averill said...

LOVE the Roberta Roller Rabbit drapes. Such a great pattern.

Laura Holland said...

Loved this story about the blue! We linked to your story today with our blue story. We feel that blue is definately on a comeback today. madebyhickorychair.com