photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, August 22, 2011

Kitchen Makeover: The Reveal!

IMG_6160

{Iomoi Lucite Tray in Coakley Cay, Mr. and Mrs. Cocktail Glasses from Furbish, Sferra Cocktail Napkins, Serving Bowl lined in Gold Leaf made by my Crafty Husband}

It’s been quite a while since I asked for your help in selecting a paint color for our kitchen cabinets and it’s been an even longer time coming for us to finally do this kitchen makeover. We started out with maple cabinets and 16” tile backsplash that matched our flooring and left something to be desired. After years of blogging, I longed for a classic kitchen with white cabinets and white subway tile backsplash. After testing some colors out, we decided that a pure white shade would look a little too stark and clinical in our kitchen because we don’t get enough natural light in that part of the house. We wanted something slightly warmer and decided to venture into greige territory.

kitchen3

IMG_5876

{At this stage, the cabinets were in their original state, but we had already had the subway tile backsplash installed.}

kitchen2

IMG_5886

{This is during the color selection process. Initially, we thought Martha Stewart’s Sharkey Gray would be too similar to our wall color and despite the fact that most of you had voted for it, we ruled it out. We really liked the other grey tones we tested, but some were too mauve, others too green, and some were just too dark.}

kitchen

IMG_6139

{What a difference a coat of paint makes! In the end, we decided on Martha Stewart’s Sharkey Grey despite our initial concerns. It turns out that the difference is quite noticeable and the shade is just perfect. Not stark white, not full on, cool grey, but a warm, creamy ultra light grey. My husband decided to tackle the project himself and spent at least a week prepping and painting. He sanded everything down, prepped the cabinets, made a perimeter around the kitchen and sprayed, sprayed, sprayed. He’s the best!}

IMG_6166

{I love the clean, classic look now.}

IMG_6133

{Sharkey Gray might just be the perfect “greige”. It has a hint of gray blended with some creaminess for the perfect, warm hue of light gray.}

IMG_6158

{We also installed a new faucet, which I really like. Our old backsplash was made using the floor tiles you see here, laid out in a diagonal pattern. Next year, we’re thinking we’ll finally pull the trigger on wood floors.}

IMG_6174

{Tate Peeking Out from Behind the Refrigerator}

IMG_6074

{Our improvement projects spilled over into our breakfast nook. Fabian built some pelmet boxes for me and we installed the fabulous Extra Large Hicks Pendant by Thomas O’Brien from Circa Lighting.}

IMG_6070

{We’re pretty happy how the project turned out and we’re so thankful that you all steered us in the direction of Martha Stewart’s Sharkey Grey!}

43 comments:

Karena said...

Paloma it is wonderful!! I love it it makes all the difference in the world!!

xoxo
Karena

Art by Karena

Tiffany @ Savor Home said...

Love it! It makes the space look so much brighter and open. That makes me want to go home and slap a coat of paint on my cabinets. Tate is adorable by the way...

Kate (Embarrassment of Riches) said...

Oh my goodness, it looks FABULOUS! Your cabinets weren't horrible at all before, either - but it's a wonderful improvement!

Did you hire a professional, or do it yourself? The application looks flawless! Our kitchen cabinets could use a coat of paint (maybe we can convince our landlords by showing them your post!).

Anonymous said...

Looks great! What a difference!

Unknown said...

I forgot to mention that my husband painted the cabinets himself. Luckily for me, he loves DIY projects while I just like coming up with pretty new ideas for the house. :) A couple of days into the process, he was wishing we had hired someone to paint the cabinets, though. He sprayed the oil-based paint, so it was pretty labor intensive. I don't think we would do it again, but we love the end result.

the modern sybarite ™ said...

Lovely how the new paint and color brighten up the space. Looks FAB.

victoria | vmac+cheese said...

Your kitchen looks so beautiful!! The subway tile is so classic. And I love the Hicks pendant!!!

Shannon said...

I LOVE the color. My hubs and I have been thinking about painting our cabinets a creamy gray color. I have a question...did your hubs sand down the cabinets first or just painted them? I have been doing research on painting kitchen cabinets and every site has something different that is a MUST when painting.

http://www.dylandrake.blogspot.com/

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Your husband is really handy for painting it all by himself! It looks fantastic, Paloma. everything is looking beautiful!

Tate is soooo cute! I'm in love! :-)

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

claudia b said...

I love it, Paloma!! I am considering Sharkey Grey for my living room, it's too yellow right now.

Unknown said...

Thanks, everyone!

DylanDrake, yes he sanded the cabints down, taped everything off, created a perimeter around our kitchen, etc. The prep took just as long if not longer than the actual painting. He sealed the kitchen off with paint tarps since we have such an open floor plan so there wouldn't be overspray into the other rooms. It was still kind of a messy project despite how meticulous he was about everything.

Lauren@BaylorSays... said...

Whoa, pretty awesome and dramatic transformation!! What a difference some paint makes, right? I'm crazy about your faucet choice and love the drawer pulls. Good job, and it looks like you had a pretty reasonable budget!! Lucky for you with the handy husband you could spring for the oh-so-fabulous pendant.

Baylor Says...

Michelle Kobryn said...

Gorgeous kitchen. Well done!

Anonymous said...

it looks great, what a difference. i like the after so much more! xxo

Jamie @ charmingly ordinary said...

We are about to paint our cabinets and I was wanting to also do grey, but having a time choosing the right shade. Must run out and get some more paint chips, with this color included! Yay. :)

alison giese Interiors said...

Looks great! I'm ALL ABOUT painting cabinets if they're a no-go in your house. Well done!

Unknown said...

Looks great Paloma and I agree, love that shade of grey- the perfect warm greyish white. High fives to your husband for painting those himself- a big job!!

Tammy@InStitches said...

This turned out so nice ! I have the same cabinets and have been wanting to paint them, this just makes me want to even more. Your hubs is the man !

Stacy CUrran said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE. It looks so much better, brand new in fact.
Stacy

The enchanted home said...

What a makeover!! Love the new look and that pale shade of gray is just perfect!! I am impressed, and love the end result (glad Tate seems to approve too)

Matters of Style said...

Looks soooo good! You are inspiring me to change our cabinets!!

Hallie said...

Absolutely love it!! It looks fantastic!!!

Amanda said...

It looks awesome Paloma!! It totally brightened up the kitchen! Love those pelmet boxes too! Great job!

Anonymous said...

i love your kitchen faucet. what is it?

Lindsey A. Turner said...

That looks amazing! great job!

Lindsey Turner
http://thriftandshout.blogspot.com

designchic said...

What a difference...it looks amazing!!

Vanessa@decor happy said...

It's the perfect colour for your kitchen! Love it and kudos to your hubby for tackling this himself. Great job!

Unknown said...

Anon, we ordered the faucet through Overstock.com. They are out of the finish we bought, but this is the same style.

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/American-Classic-Satin-Nickel-Single-handle-Kitchen-Faucet/5266766/product.html

The Purse-a-holic said...

This is just gorgeous Paloma!

Mona Thompson Providence Ltd. said...

Looks really wonderful. Yo9u should be very pleased.

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

It looks fantastic, Paloma. Much cleaner and more timeless now. Until you are ready for wood floors, would you consider throwing down a beautiful oushak rug? (Like many of the kitchens featured in High Gloss) I just love that look.

PS- I adore your dining chairs!

travelkate said...

Looks wonderful! I sprayed my cabinets in my house before this and I couldn't believe how it looked like a completely different kitchen!

I actually just displayed my final kitchen reveal today!
http://travelmoonblog.blogspot.com

Shelly@ConfettiStyle.wordpress said...

What a wonderful transformation of your kitchen. A white kitchen is always my favorite! And, your eating area is stunning as well.

Unknown said...

Paloma, it looks AWESOME!! Do you mind me asking how the Hubs went about 'spraying' the cabinets himself? Are we talking spraypaint here or some high tech machine I'm not yet familiar with?

Thanks!
Emily
www.mainstreetchic.blogspot.com

Unknown said...

PS- That picture of Tate is melting my heart!! Such a cutie!

Emily
www.mainstreetchic.blogspot.com

Arianna Belle said...

It turned out beautifully Paloma! Love the pic of Tate peeking out :)

Pablo said...

Love the color you chose! It looks much, much, much better now! =)

http://bloobreyplace.blogspot.com

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

This turned out great!
Enjoy the revamped space.
Cheers, Alcira

nerochronicles.com

Beautifully Seaside // Formerly Chic Coastal Living said...

Your kitchen looks amazing!

JS Grame-Smith said...

I love your kitchen's new look. The renovation should be done every 2 years at-least. The color you chose has a beautiful shade for the kitchen.
-Cookware

Unknown said...

Wow what a difference! Looks so good Paloma! So nice and bright. Love the color you chose - it's really tough to find the perfect warm gray (believe me, I know!). Your hubbie is a star.

We just took on a mini-remodel but I love the results. Makes me happy to be in that room again. I posted the pics on Wednesday. I'd love to know what you think! xo

Stephanie said...

I have come back to your blog *multiple* times to look St your kitchen and seating area. It's perfect!! Could you please tell me where you got your cane dining chairs? I may end up with a seating area solar to yours in my own house! Love your blog!

Unknown said...

Beautiful transformation!!