photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Friday, May 13, 2011

Do Tell: Which paint color should I choose?

P1080194

{From Left to Right: Behr’s Natural Gray, Martha Stewart Bedford Gray,

Martha Stewart Sharkey Gray}

We are in the midst of a little kitchen renovation at Casa Contreras. Last weekend, we had our new countertops and subway tile backsplash installed. The next step is to choose a paint color for our maple cabinets and add a few new accessories to spruce it all up. Initially, I thought I wanted crisp, white cabinets. Unfortunately, we tried several lovely shades of white by Benjamin Moore earlier this week, but the overall look was too bright and clinical. I think it was the combination of white backsplash, stainless steel appliances and lighting that made it all look very cold and sterile. So, back to the drawing board we went.

P1080192

{Martha Stewart Nimbus Cloud}

We decided that a warm shade of light grey would be the way to go. The color would have more depth and warmth than white and would go well with the rest of the items in the kitchen. Well, that was easier said than done! I received so many great tips from friends and Twitter followers regarding grey paint colors, but greys can be tricky! Some read too blue, others to green or mauve, you know the drill. We finally narrowed it down to the four shades pictured in the photos above. While I love the Sharkey Grey, it is too similar to the wall color in our kitchen, which I can’t show you since the room is still a mess. I promise to show you everything in a big reveal once the room is finished, though. Anyway, you’re probably wondering why we can’t paint the kitchen walls. That would be because our house is only five years old and like most new construction, the floor plan is very open. The kitchen opens into our family room AND our walls have those stupid rounded corners that make it nearly impossible to paint just one room without having to paint everything else. I’m sure some of you know what I mean.

So, long story short…I would really appreciate your input. Which of the colors in the photos above do you think we should go with? Behr’s Natural Gray, Martha Stewart Bedford Gray, Martha Stewart Sharkey Gray or Martha Stewart Nimbus Cloud?

P.S. Some of you asked if I would share the color recommendations I received. They’re all lovely!

Behr Vintage Sweatshirt Gray

Benjamin Moore Revere Pewter

Benjamin Moore Silver Chain

Benjamin Moore Hot Spring Stones

Benjamin Moore Pashmina

Benjamin Moore Bunny Gray

Benjamin Moore Gargoyle

Benjamin Moore Old Salem Gray

Benjamin Moore Silver Fox

Benjamin Moore Gray Owl

Dunn Edwards Baby Seal

Farrow & Ball Lamp Room Gray

Farrow & Ball Pavillion Gray

Pittsburgh Paint Gray Moth

Sherwin Williams Web Gray

Sherwin Williams Sensible Hue

Sherwin Williams Light French Gray

 

 

41 comments:

martinealison said...

je pense que cela va redonner une seconde vie à l'ensemble de vos meubles... bisous

Amber B (Simple Dwellings) said...

I like Nimbus Cloud! I was going to choose the sharkey color, but I know exactly what you mean about the rounded wall corners in homes! So, Nimbus Cloud gets my vote! :) Good luck- it will be fabulous whatever you choose!

H.G. The Countess said...

I like Behr's natural grey!

L said...

Based strictly on the photo [haven't seen any in person], I think Behr Natural Gray. Sharkey seems too white and the one next to Sharkey reads a little yellowish to me {could just be my monitor though}. Love the backsplash!

design elements said...

i love Martha Stewart Bedford Gray. warm greetings

Alcira Molina-Ali said...

It's hard to tell from the images, but we've been very happy with our Behr paint. It's really withstood the test of time and the elements.
Cheers, Alcira

nerochronicles.com

Unknown said...

Natural gray!

I painted Sharkey gray in the hallways, guest room, and dinning room. I love the color but in the dinning room I swatched before painting and LOVED the color, once I painted the whole room it pulled really purpley. If the kitchen gets a ton of light I'd be worried it would do the same to you!

Priscilla said...

We just chose "Behr, Classic Silver" for my daughter's apartment. It is perfect. No tinge of other color. Just a pure silver grey.

Proper Hunt said...

How exciting! I would have to say Nimbus Cloud! Oddly enough, I just used it in my parents' guest room (http://www.properhunt.com/2011/05/before-after-my-parents-guest-room.html). It's this perfect, natural gray that doesn't try to steal the show but is a great backdrop for any other colors/elements you want to showcase.
Can't wait to see your kitchen!

Jessie said...

I will pick Martha Stewart Bedford Gray. I think it provides a little contrast to the white blacksplash and ties together the black countertops together because it's such a great color between the two! The rest look a little off white to me, maybe it's the lighting or my monitor.

Whatever you pick, I am sure it will look fab in the end. Can't wait to see the big reveal!

Jessie
www.mixandchic.com

Jenica said...

I don't know if you are still taking suggestions, but we used sherwin-williams Amazing Gray on our kitchen cabinets (with white subway tile backsplash and carerra marble counters) and we LOVE IT! I think it's the perfect gray!

Amanda said...

I'm loving the Bedford Grey by Martha Stewart. I like that is seems to have the most color. I think some color is really nice. It's going to look great with your countertops, etc. Can't wait for the "After" pics... Good luck!!!

Ingrid said...

I like the Natural Gray!

Bri@Meyouandawiener said...

The middle gray has some green in it, at least to me. Behr paint is pretty good so I would say any of the two grays are good. Except the middle one.

~Kristina said...

Natural gray gets my vote although Sharkey is a very close second.

Anonymous said...

I like the Natural Grey paint!

Brooklynvt said...

I just picked out new paint colors for my house as well and it's SUCH a hard task...for some reason I'm really liking the Behr Natural Gray...that'd be my pick! Good luck :)

Ana Liza said...

I'm drawn to the Behr as well...

Ashley Falkenburg said...

I'm liking the Behr!

www.ashleyfalkenburginteriors.blogspot.com

Kristy @ I Design Love said...

I really like the Behr color! It isn't as bright as the other colors. I also like the Sharkey Gray.

Anonymous said...

I would have picked the Beford or the Sharkey Gray. I like that they have a little more saturated color to them.

Megan Abigail Chandler said...

Personally I am into Bedford Gray ... I just like that minty-ier hint

Lizzie said...

I like the natural gray!

Lizzie said...

I vote natural gray!

Bekah said...

I agree with the others: the Behr.

http://www.prettylittlesnippets.blogspot.com

SHERRY HART said...

Agree. Lighter is better!

marisa said...

I'm also liking the pale grey from Behr. Check out Traditional Home this month for a new kitchen in Toronto where the cupboards are done a light blue/grey/green. Very pretty. But if you don't want the blue or green undertone then I think the behr is best. It seems most neutral.

Stacy CUrran said...

I like Shaker gray. I've used it and it's beautiful
Stacy

Bring Pretty Back said...

I also like the lighter behr.
It is such a big decision!!!
Excited to see the finished kitchen!
Have a pretty day!
Kristin

Anonymous said...

I like the Behr based on the photo. I've struggled with the light cabinets versus dark cabinets issue, too. I like them both and just switch them each time I reno or move (white, then dark, then light, now dark again). Just plan on doing the reverse next go around. Keeps it interesting!

Barbie said...

Yes, like many others, my vote is for the Natural or Sharkey Grays! I so relate to the open plan and rounded corners...sounds like my house exactly! Can't wait to see the big reveal!! I'm sure whatever you choose will be beautiful.

Anonymous said...

I prefer the Behr. Least favorite is definitely the Bedford. Good luck!

Allison Egan said...

I love Martha Stewart Bedford Gray! I think the contrast with the subway tiles will be so beautiful!
xo Allison

Spicer + Bank www.spicerandbank.blogspot.com

Maria Killam said...

It's way harder to see the colour 'accurately' unless there is white around it, especially in comparison to the stained cabinets and the blue tape.

If you tried the white this way it would definitely look clinical but it doesn't mean white is not right for your space. Also I'm assuming your floor is wood since you are not showing it? Otherwise if it's tile, it should be part of the overall decision on the colour you end up with on your cabinets.

In my colour workshop this week, one of the designers said the biggest tip she had learned from me on day 2 was to ALWAYS have white behind every colour you are looking it, especially pale shades of white.

Hope this helps :)
x
Maria

Anonymous said...

I like the Natural Gray. Can't wait to see the results!
Franci

CarolAnne - camdesign said...

Looking at the picture the Martha Stewart Bedford Gray (middle one, first pic) seems to work with your counter top the best...

Sara S said...

Bedford grey gives a nice contrast to your backsplash and works well with your countertop. The others might be a bit too monochromatic...just my thoughts

Julie said...

It's hard to tell, but I think I'm going to trust Martha here and go with Bedford Gray :)

helen tilston said...

I feel Bedford gray, as it has an undertone and picks up on your countertop.

Shaded white by Farrow & Ball would be my other suggestion

Good luck and I am sure you will pick a winning colour
www.helentilstonpainter.blogspot.com

Amanda Burkett said...

Love the Behr . . . Love the new backsplash!! We did our kitchen in a combination of white/greige. Finished up about a month ago. Pictures at http://burkettfamily.blogspot.com/2011/04/i-heart-calacatta-gold.html. I fell in love with BM Rockport Grey for our cabinets. Love your blog!

Lisa Mende Design said...

I was happy to see your post because I am in this process in my own house. I am debating the white versus grey kitchen and was looking at the Sharkey and Bedford Greys! I am replacing my cabinets and trying to decide which way to go. Just posting this morning about the process, so it was really funny when I happened upon your post!