photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Do Tell: What type of home elevation is your favorite?

{I have been obsessed with designer, Yael Aflalo’s Commune-designed Hollywood home since I first laid eyes on it in Domino a few years ago.}

When thinking about my dream home, I often ponder the exterior as much as I do the interior. I like so many different styles of architecture that I’m not always sure what I would build or buy given the opportunity and means to purchase the home of my dreams. The more that I think about it, though, I tend to gravitate for homes with classic, traditional elevations with a twist of some sort. Yael Aflalo’s home (pictured directly above and below) is pretty much the embodiment of my style in a home elevation. I love darker colors, crisp, clean lines, and traditional touches with a dose of glamour. This home has it all in spades. While this particular home may be at the top of my list, I am always coming across homes that I find beautiful. And let’s be honest, I wouldn’t turn any of the houses in this post down. I’d love to hear more about the types of architecture you love most. Do tell, what type of home elevation is your favorite?

elevation

{I love every detail of this home. It’s perfectly manicured.}

facade house beautiful

{Miles Redd’s New York Townhouse stands out from the crowd in this lovely, pale blue hue. I love that the home seems to have a sense of humor.}

{This historic, classic home gets a bit of an update with a bright, lime green door.}

elevation2

{This home is absolutely classic and elegant. This type of architecture lends itself to so many types of design for the interior. Plus, it looks like the walls would have some really great stories to tell if only they could talk.}

{Next to the very first house in this post, this would be my absolute dream home. I love the idea of a formal, traditional exterior with a glamorous, modern interior.}

{This home is magnificent! Ok, add this one to my list and I have my official Top 3.}

elevation3

{Palm Springs Mid Century Modern Architecture}

{Clean Lines and Modern Grandeur in Ibiza}

{Serene Setting}

elevation4

{Tia Zoldan’s Charming, English-Style Cottage}

{I get the feeling this home could just as likely be in the French countryside as it could be in Atlanta’s tony Buckhead neighborhood.}

{I do love Spanish Colonial and Mediterranean-style homes when they’re done well and look authentic. I am not a fan of the loosely interpreted, faux Mediterranean McMansions that run rampant nowadays.}

elevation5

{This Nantucket home looks so warm and welcoming!}

{A Classic Dutch Colonial with Dark Shingle Siding}

{I’m guessing this one is near a Southern coastline. I love the porch!}

 

I am by no means an expert in architecture, so if I’ve classified anything as the wrong style, please let me know. I generally used terms for overall styles rather than using specific, architectural terminology, but I welcome the opportunity to learn something new. While you’re at it, be sure to let me know what your favorite style is or if any of these particular houses strike your fancy.

 

{Images via Pinterest}

34 comments:

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Whoa.. hard question! :-) I love a coastal home. I dream with a "Hampton style" house.

Enjoyed this post, Paloma.

xo

Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Unknown said...

HOLY tough choice - i LOVE the modernized green cape cod u pictured (i have a cape cod) - but my DREAM home it would be SUCH a mix - but MORE modern then anything else ..

*kiss kiss*
Erika
~Tiptoe Butterfly~

Alex {Things That Sparkle} said...

The house that you said is in your top 3, is actually about a mile away from the house I grew up. I was lucky enough to go inside. Interiors were done by Victoria Hagan... AMAZING.

Unknown said...

I'm with you- that first one steals the show for me- adore the dark paint and crisp white trim. My favourite facade is a traditional home with a more modern paint etc.

H.G. The Countess said...

I'm with you, I like a lot of different styles. I think I'll have to wait to see where my dream house is, because I think it is important to keep your region in mind.

Amanda said...

I'll take one of each! Seriously they are all so lovely in their own way its so hard to choose! But if I had to choose I'd probably go with European Inspired.

Katherine Velie said...

I'm all about the traditional with a twist.
I have the Yael Aflalo house saved in my inspiration images....LOVE it! Of course, I want to move into in Miles Redd's townhouse, and the yellow door---yes, yes, yes!

Katherine
antweak.blogspot.com

Allyson [Mimosas in the Morning] said...

How could anyone pick? They are all so amazing!

www.mimosasnthemorning.com

Tammy @ Lemons, Avocados and the Bay said...

They're ALL incredible, but the Palm Springs and Ibiza homes stood out to me. I love clean lines and the idea of outdoor living :)

~Tammy
www.bayparkdream.blogspot.com

Ana Liza said...

These pictures leave the question almost impossible to answer! I vote classic and elegant. A place to both start a family and to gether future generations in comfort. Gorgeous pics!

Shante said...

This is a great post. I love simple things that stand out, so I'm going to have to be a mix of both the Classic and European styles.

Kristy @ I Design Love said...

Classic and Elegant would be my first choice. Followed by Costal Chic :)

Diane Stewart said...

Although I love the look of these homes, since I'm recovering from knee surgery stairs have become a problem. This is something that most people don't think about when planning a home. There's a lot to be said about homes that are close to the ground. They may not look as grand, but someday it might become the most important issue for you.

Tracey said...

That first one is amazing. x

Amanne said...

Just discovered your blog. Loving it so far! :)

Traditional With a Twist & the European Inspired homes stole my heart :)

Vanessa Stern said...

Paloma I've said it before, but I'll say it again, I LOVE the Commune Design house!!! This was going to be the front of the home in my Dream Home Series, but wanted to do something that I hadn't seen on your blog before. I have been searching for a starter home where I can do this color combo - black walls and white trim! It's so chic, so stylish, and so easy to do with many exteriors! Love all these styles going on here, esp the mid-century modern!!!!

EDYTA & CO. INTERIOR DESIGN said...

Love the modern, traditional & coastal :) I'll take three please.

Houndstooth and Nail said...

I love the first one the best too! I would love to paint my house a dark dark charcoal with white trim, but here in Florida, not too practical with the heat. I'm going to have to take it down a tic and go for a medium grey...
:)
Ingrid

Shelly said...

I'm definitely a coastal hamptons style home kind of girl! Although I will say I do like classic and elegant and european as well. I just need more than one home!

Anonymous said...

I believe the one w/the vintage brown Mercedes in front was left to Aerin Lauder by her grandmother Estee.

Meg - Little XO said...

I love the historic house with the lime green door. It is classic and traditional, but the door let's you know there will be some fun decor inside!

Soulful Mama said...

I'll take the French Countryside mansion any day!! Although, I do love them all.

~ Clare x

Anonymous said...

I am a fickle one. This week I am lusting after a european inspired home, usually I am more of a modernist or drawn to the traditional with a twist home.

designchic said...

I think I'm classic and elegant with a touch of twist, but I so want coastal home, too...

Renee Granier said...

We have always been torn on this topic. We love so many different styles and often joke that we need several homes. Classic, European and Traditional with a twist all beautiful. Oh yes, coastal. We would love to have a home near the beach. Great post!

Mrs. EJ said...

The southern porch with ceiling fans? LOVE. I've never been a fan of a porch until now but am slowly falling in love. I have a traditional elevation but see the homes with wrap around porches and get a little house envy...

Allison Harper said...

Love them, the French style home is in Atlanta!

Unknown said...

You know my vote -- modern! I bet partly because of where I live. The more traditional styles here in So Cal look forced/faked because they are not authentic (unless it's a bungalow built in the 30's).

The Palm Springs photo is gorgeous!

Green Mountain Realty said...

Curb appeal sells the home almost instantly, bath's, flooring and wall colors can always be changed, but the look from the outside elevation is what it's all about.

Lisa said...

Love them all...but my heart belongs to TRULY MODERN! Great Question

Simply Mel {Reverie} said...

I'm a modern gal through and through ~ clean lines, lots of glass, and open floor plans.

Anonymous said...

Neat post! I'm a cape girl myself:)

xo,
Angela

~R said...

Oh, I definitely love the commune house too, but the Palm Springs modern one is my favorite. The water and the lines are so great! I feel as if I need to move homes all the time because of all the gorgeous ones I see.

(The packing and moving deter me).

Loving this post!

~R

hotelsdesignmonde said...

Nice post!
I'm truly modern ;-)
xx