photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, November 24, 2010

The Style Files: Maxine Trowbridge of Pink Memo

English-born style maven Maxine Trowbridge has made America her home for over twelve years and refers to herself as “Britican”, taking on the best of both cultures. She began her career in fashion after studying at London College of Fashion. Since then, she has gone on to work for a British luxury fashion house, created a women’s sportswear collection and online boutique, then moved on to work in marketing and product licensing at Miami’s Ocean Drive magazine. Ultimately, Maxine managed to marry all of her passions by creating Pink Memo, an online fashion magazine and style destination which provides readers with the latest scoop on fashion, runway reports along with lifestyle and luxury news.

max2

Name: Maxine Trowbridge

Occupation: Founder & CEO – PinkMemo.com

Hometown: Glastonbury, Somerset, England

Current City: Dallas, Texas

pink memo

LDV: What inspired you to begin your career in Fashion?

MT: At the age of 14 I knew I wanted to be a fashion designer, which is how I started my career, as a fashion designer for an established British luxury house in London. I was also fascinated with computers at an early age, writing simple calculation code. So it seems only natural to be doing what I am today – I love the juxtaposition of fashion and technology. I also grew up with a strong sense of successful and celebrated women – Margaret Thatcher, the Queen, together with Princess Diana and Madonna, they were all very important in my world growing up, and all were an inspiration in their own way.

{The Lovely Pink Memo Ladies, Katrina Szish, Anisha Lakhani and Maxine Trowbridge with Tamsin Londsale}

LDV: What do you love most about it? What is the most challenging aspect?

MT: I always wanted to start my own company, and PinkMemo is a product of my skill set and passion. Juggling the multi-tasking is always a challenge, but it is also the aspect I enjoy the most about being an entrepreneur.

inspiration ruthie sommers

LDV: Where do you find inspiration?

MT: Pop culture, and everyday experiences. The sheer amount of information that I read everyday inspires me, even sub-consciously. I read a mix of industry online publications from advertising, online trends to fashion. There is an inspiration every minute with the vast input of information read.

LDV: Who are some of your personal style icons?

MT: Terribly cliché but I have always loved Audrey Hepburn, Vivienne Westwood is an inspiration, and Daphne Guinness.

paul costello

{Image Credit: Paul Costello}

LDV: How would you describe your own style?

MT: Like my star sign – Libra. A classic twist of eclectic.

francois halard

LDV: What is the trait you most admire in a person?

MT: Integrity. Honesty. A sense of humbleness. Too many people are full of self-importance. Keep it real!

paul costello4

{Image Credit: Paul Costello}

LDV: What is your principal weakness?

MT: To do well, to be good, I am to busy pleasing. My grandmother’s motto in life was ‘nothing is good if better is possible’. A great motivator, but where do you draw the line. I am never satisfied, and this can be a negative weakness. Sometimes its ok to be pleased with an outcome or success, I have a tendency to over criticize myself.

rodney smith8

{Image Credit: Rodney Smith}

LDV: What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

MT: Never give up!

phil poynter8

{Image Credit: Phil Poynter}

LDV: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

MT: See point 7 – working on it.

hotel hana tatler russia dress design decor

{Image Credit: Tatler Russia}

LDV: What is your idea of living “la dolce vita”?

MT: My time is consumed with PinkMemo, so my “la dolce vita” would include a balanced lifestyle that includes traveling to exotic destinations, learning about other cultures, the luxury of reading books. Doing something selfless, getting involved with charitable work in a third-world country.

 

max

champagne everything fab

{Image via Everything Fabulous}

Bloom: Orchid

Food: Chocolate – anything from England, it tastes much better. Walnut Whip sounds good right now.

Drink: Champagne

Thing to Wear: Red lipstick.

Destination: Sailing in the BVI.

Season: Spring

Meal: Black truffle risotto

Musician: I adore Prince.

Artist: Anish Kapoor / Damien Hirst

Film: The Pillow Book

Television Show: Graham Norton Show

Book: About to read - The Widow Cliquot

pink memo2

Magazines: When I can get a copy - Tatler

Blogs: PinkMemo - The Front Row.

Texture: Velvet

Fabric or Pattern: ikat

peonies tig

Color: Pink – of course

Scent: Tom Ford: Black Orchid

Extravagance: Facial – I don’t get them enough.

Quote: “I am extraordinarily patient, provided I get my own way in the end.” - Margaret Thatcher

2 comments:

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

Paloma,

This is someone very interesting...

Lovely interview!


xo



Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Anisha Lakhani said...

What a lovely piece, Paloma!