photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Style Files: Cassandra Lavalle

n896055087_5643173_3046[1]

If you read design blogs on a regular basis and you don’t know Cassandra Lavalle from coco + kelley, you may be living under a rock. Cassie is the consummate blogger, featuring an interesting variety of topics from interior design and fashion to fun table settings. Readers aren’t the only ones who have taken notice of Cassie’s talents. She has been featured in several publications including House Beautiful, Lucky, The New York Times, and Lonny. To say that she is a busy girl might be a bit of an understatement! Cassie divides her time as an interior and event stylist and as the full-time editor of her wildly successful blog.

cassandra2

Name: Cassandra LaValle

Occupation: Interior & Event Stylist, Editor of coco+kelley

Hometown: Los Angeles, CA

Current City: Seattle, WA

Picture 5

{Cassie Pictured at Home for Loft Life Magazine}

LDV: What inspired you to begin your career in design?

CL: I've always had a passion and intuition for design - beginning a career doing what I love just seemed like a natural path for me!

living3-6p102[1]

LDV: What do you love most about it? What is the most challenging aspect?

CL: The fact that every project is different is both a challenge and a blessing. I love the opportunities I have to be creative in different ways whether it's designing for a client or styling for a photo shoot. I find my biggest challenge to be the pressure I put on myself to create a space that really reflects my client's needs and style by producing a design that they'll still be happy and comfortable with a few years down the road.

nanette+benz+citron

LDV: Where do you find inspiration?

CL: I find loads of inspiration in magazines, books and blogs, but it's the times that I get out and travel or go to an art show or discover a new shop that I find most inspiring. It's rejuvenating. I also love to look to the past to find new ways to interpret old classic pieces, patterns or looks.

{Rachel Bilson Via}

LDV: Who are some of your personal style icons?

CL: It's funny because it's rare that I latch on to one person as an icon of style. Many times I find myself drawn to a single collection or home of a designer rather than the person themselves. I do adore the personal style of Rachel Bilson and Camilla Belle.

Cassie3

LDV: How would you describe your own style?

CL: Effortless glamour. I'm drawn to simple, classic lines and styles, but I like them to be easy and comfortable too. I think it's a refined west coast mentality.

carolina irving2

{Image via Lonny}

LDV: What is the trait you most admire in a person?

CL: Generosity.

IMG_3780

{The Tabletop at Cassie’s Recent 30th Birthday Celebration}

LDV: What is your principal weakness?

CL: Anything that sparkles.

carolina irving

{Image via Lonny}

LDV: What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

CL: Trust yourself.

becky dining room inspiration

{An Inspiration Board Created for a coco + kelley Client}

LDV: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

CL: So far it's starting my own company. I hope the greatest is yet to come!

mikkel vang seaside dining[1]

LDV: What is your idea of living “la dolce vita”?

CL: An unlimited travel budget, sunshine and a pool (or ocean).

cassandra

lauraresen9[2]

Bloom: Peony

Food: Fresh Sashimi

Drink: Champagne

Thing to Wear: A big cocktail ring

{“Capri Bay” by Slim Aarons}

Destination: Capri

Season: Early Fall

Meal: Anything prepared by my dad - he's an amazing cook.

Musician: David Gray

{Red, Orange, Tan, and Purple by Mark Rothko, 1949}

Artist: I love so many for different reasons! Rothko, Chagal, David Hockney... the list goes on.

Film: Gone With the Wind

Television Show: I can't remember the last time I had time for TV!

Book: Little Women

magazines

Magazines: Pick a stack, any stack...

Blogs:  The top few blogs that make my day right now are are The Glamorai, {oh joy!} and delight by design

Texture: Linen

Fabric or Pattern: Right now I'm loving retro florals for pattern.

ThadHayes_pg125

Color: Kelly Green, of course!

Scent: Jasmine - the real thing, not in perfumes or candles.       

Extravagance: Lazy days.

Quote: The one on the bottom of my blog: "In order to be irreplaceable, one must always be different." - coco chanel

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Lovely interview! Cassandra is an inspiration and her ability to juggle blogging, designing, and styling never ceases to amaze me. Happy birthday, Paloma!

cassandra said...

paloma, THANK YOU!!! this turned out so lovely and was so fun to do. happy birthday and a HUGE contrats to you and your new magazine team! i'm so excited to see it! xoxo

Jamie Herzlinger said...

Cassandra is one of the most talented bloggers on the internet! Her sense of style and timing for current trends whether in fashion or interiors is awesome! i am a huge fan! thank you for highlighting her!
jamie Herzlinger

Jamie Herzlinger said...

Paloma_trying to reach you-would you be so kind as to email me
jamie Herzlinger
jamie@jamieherzlinger.com
www.jamieherzlinger.com
thanks
jamie

Claudia (Dreaming of Palm Trees) said...

as always, amazing profile. I heart coco + kelley and la dolce vita. always inspiring! xo

Claudia Cifuentes said...

as always, great profile. I heart coco + kelley and la dolce vita. very inspiring! xo!

Unknown said...

This was so fun to read- I am right with Cassandra on the peonies, champage and cocktail rings:) The last picture she chose has been making me crazy since I saw it a few days ago- I would love to know what the wallpaper is:) Thanks for the great profile- loved it!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Very cool! Nice interview :) Loving her style!

*** said...

I love reading Coco & Kelley and this interview was amazing. Her blog is vry inspirational .. just like yours ...

Happy Birthday, paloma!

xoxo,
Rali

Alaina @ Live Creating Yourself said...

Wow - LOVED her list. Capri. That photo doesn't even look like a real place! The Mediterranean is magical... and I love "pick a stack, any stack..." Hah

Great interview, Cassie! : )

YELENA STARIKOVA said...

Very Inspiring! Thanks a lot!
allglamthings.blogspot.com

Laura Trevey said...

So great to see you Cassandra over here!! Loved this post...

xoxo Laura