photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Italians Do It Better: The Best Turkey You’ll Ever Have

thanksgiving2

For the past few years, I have asked my mother and mother-in-law to let me host Thanksgiving. After years of doing it themselves, I think they happily relented. They knew that I enjoyed cooking and that the food I make is usually pretty good. My mother-in-law isn’t a big cook, so I knew that impressing her wouldn’t be an enormous feat, but I knew my mom and dad would be a different story as they are both incredible cooks. I’m sure they were a little dubious deep down about how my turkey would turn out that first year, but they always seemed to have full faith in me. Knowing that this was the first time I had made a turkey in my life, I had to come up with something good! I couldn’t disappoint my entire family. After all, bad food makes me cranky.

giada and jade

I knew it would be best to find a great recipe for my first go ‘round. I happened to watch an episode of Everyday Italian with Giada DeLaurentiis right around that time and the turkey she had made sounded amazing. I tested the recipe on roasted chicken and the result was scrumptious! The chicken was moist and had the most subtle, amazing flavor from the citrus, herbs, and let’s face it, the butter certainly didn’t hurt! I ended up making Giada’s Turkey with Herbes de Provence and Citrus for Thanksgiving that year and I haven’t looked back. This is the turkey I will be making for my family for years to come. I don’t feel weird saying this because I’m tooting Giada’s horn rather than my own, but everyone who’s ever had it has said it’s the best turkey they’ve ever tasted. It is seriously amazing. If you’re not sure what to do with your turkey this year, trust me, this is the way to go. If you’re not in charge of the big bird, be sure to try this same strategy on a roasted chicken. You’ll think you’ve died and gone to heaven! Click here for the recipe or watch the video below.

10 comments:

Marianne said...

I just posted that same recipe the other day on my blog. So good to hear others love it too! I have made it for the last 3 years and it is amazing. I can't imagine making my turkey any other way! Everyone needs to try it. It is the truly the best!

Mystica said...

Thank you for the images! mouth watering.

Anonymous said...

Giada's recipe has been my go-to for roasted turkey for the past several years. Your post makes me wish I was cooking this year (instead of enduring a "Luby's" Thanksgiving). Enjoy your holiday!

meezo said...

Thank you for this. I can hardly wait to try it. I'm a huge Giada fan, and, at this minute in time have her Winter Minestrone on my stove simmering. Can hardly wait to try this recipe next.

Katie said...

I am hosting for the first time this year too...it certainly is a lot to take on!

Unknown said...

Well, as a matter of fact, I'm doing the cooking this year and was thinking about what to do with the turkey. This sounds like a great twist on what I usually do - I've never used the Herbs de Provence, but since they are sitting right there above my stove - I'm going to go for it.

I'll let you know how it goes!! And if Giada does it, it must be good.

xo Elizabeth

Jessica {lovely jubbly london} said...

I agree! It's my go to turkey recipe- delish. Every year my dad has always said it's the best turkey he has ever had and then I remind him he said that last year!

Luciane at HomeBunch.com said...

"Italians do it best"... you've got that right. :-)


Everything sounds really yummy.

Happy Thanksgiving!!!


xo


Luciane at HomeBunch.com

Anonymous said...

Paloma,
Just wanted to write and thank you for this post. I used Giada's recipe this year and it was the best turkey ever. It was moist, juicy and delicious. You made me look good! Bless you!

Elisa said...

when we lived in the States watching Everyday Italian was a daily routine, I love how Giada makes it look so easy and her food always turns out delicious. I will have to write this recipe down like you said, you can even try on chicken so it sounds a recipe worth trying.