photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Friday, December 27, 2013

Fabulous Room Friday 12.27.13


Good morning! I hope you had a wonderful Christmas with your families and friends! It was nice to have a couple of days away from the internet, but I am glad to be back. Last week, ELLE DECOR released their list of the "Best Rooms of 2013" and I was honored to be among the tastemakers who were asked to share what their favorite room of the year was. I love the room so much that I thought it was worth featuring again as this week's "Fabulous Room".

I love the master bedroom in this pied-à-terre designed by Steven Gambrel at New York's famed Plaza Hotel. While Gambrel employed the use of several vibrant shades of blue and yellow, the room has a very calming nature. I am crazy about the beautiful mix in this space-- the colors, furniture from various periods and multiple styles, and a fabulous combination of textures-- the velvet on the lovely tufted settee, the linen on the curtains and spool leg chair, the silk in the carpet, the mercury glass lamps, the marble-topped directoire table, and so on. The most special thing about this bedroom is that it has no sense of time or place. It could just as easily be in a chic apartment in Madrid or a centuries-old house in the English countryside. The decor would have worked fifty years ago and it will continue to look beautiful and fresh fifty years from today.

My dear friend, Mark D. Sikes, one of several blogging friends who was also featured in the "Best Rooms of 2013" round-up, has a canopied bed with beautiful curtains in his guest room and after staying at his home during recent visits to L.A, I can attest to the sumptuous, inviting quality they possess. It’s like sleeping in a chic cloud. I love that the room’s overall palette is soft and neutral, with hints of color in unexpected places—pale blue moldings, yellow window frames, and pale Robin’s Egg Blue trim on the bed’s canopy. The gorgeous chocolate tufted settee at the foot of the bed is one of my favorite pieces in the space. Each piece is a stand-out on its own, so naturally, the combination of all of the pieces is gorgeous. The overall look is layered, collected, and totally chic. What’s not to love?






Signature-3

2 comments:

Dana said...

that room is incredible. I'd die for that bed!

www.thecasualclassic.com

Cindy Albert said...

Paloma, I love your quotes! You stated that you were going to be repeating these words often in the new year. I believe our words have creative power and that you will indeed have a wonderful 2014. I am going to borrow your quotes to inspire my new year. Wishing you a quick recovery! And lots of love, joy and success in 2014.