photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, December 23, 2013

A Cozy Winter Home


The other day, I was perusing the Houston MLS, looking at homes in some of my Houston dream neighborhoods when I happened across a listing for this charming home in River Oaks. Built in 1938 by renowned architect, Charles Oliver, the home was recently renovated by Bobby McAlpine and Susan Ferrier. The house is on the small side for its price tag of $1.9 million, clocking in at 2,698 square feet with two bedrooms and two and a half bathrooms. While it may not be the biggest house on the block, it has charm and character to spare. I am glad that the extensive renovation left many of the home's original architectural features in tact and that it was done in such a thoughtful way.

While this home would be beautiful on any given day of the year, something about the current owner's furniture immediately brought winter to mind. The house feels like a warm, cozy respite from a chilly day with its mix of textures-- velvet, cowhide, lambswool, marble, and antique mirror in a palette of cool grey accented with pops of gold and silver.

{Charming Courtyard}

{The Stairs are Swathed in a Leopard Runner}

{The living room really evokes chic scenes of winter, doesn't it?}

{I love the gold console table in this hallway.}

{I can't tell for sure if this is a formal dining room or a breakfast room off of the kitchen. Either way, it's lovely. I love the oval Saarinen Tulip Table with the chairs with gold frames and blush velvet upholstery. Be sure to take a good look at the stunning marble fireplace on the right side.}

{I love the color of the cabinetry in the butler's pantry and the fact that it matches the walls and moldings. It provides great contrast to the Calcatta Gold Marble.}

{The kitchen is decidedly sleek and modern, but maintains the warmth that permeates the rest of the house. Notice the back wall which is covered in a Calcatta Gold Marble slab. So luxurious! I also love the waterfall island.}

{I like that the simple window treatments which do not detract from the beautiful windows.}

{I wish there were more photos of the library because it is one of my favorite rooms. I love the simple Parsons-style desks, Kubus-covered desk chair, and wall of built-in bookshelves.}

{The master bedroom is calming in its various shades of white and grey. I do think it's kind of odd that there is a ceiling fan in the corner of the room.}

{The master bathroom was beautifully renovated. I love all of the marble, the cabinetry, and the cabinet hardware.}

{The second bedroom is being used as a nursery by the current owners.}

{The backyard features an alternate view of the beautiful house with painted white brick and black shutters-- my favorite!}

Am I crazy or does this house make you want to curl up under a blanket with a cup of tea, and a good book on a cold winter day? To see the real estate listing, click here.


7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for including our work here on your lovely blog!

Unknown said...

wait if this the house I think it is it is my favorite house!! I used to pass it everyday on the way home from LHS and would just stare!! So exciting to finally see the inside!

Simply Modern Home said...

Beautiful home! Love it all!

Unknown said...

@mcalpinetankersleyblog-- It's my pleasure. This house is so lovely and the renovation is perfection!

@Emily-- Oh, how funny! The house is on Pelham. Is that the one you were thinking of?

Merry Christmas, everyone! XO

Unknown said...

That home makes me want to do all that and more!! Thanks for sharing this.

xo
Maggie A
LOVEMAVIN.COM

Anonymous said...

This is such a beautiful home! I love everything about it. Thanks so much for featuring it and Merry Christmas.

Check This Out said...

Nursery rook is beautiful.