photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Art in 5: Ellsworth Kelly

"I have worked to free shape from its ground, and then to work the shape so that it has a definite relationship to the space around it; so that it has a clarity and a measure within itself of its parts (angles, curves, edges, and mass), and so that, with color and tonality, the shape finds its own space and always demands its freedom and separateness." -- Ellsworth Kelly

Hello, it's Erika from small shop! After 30 installments of "Design Under the Influence" I decided it was time to move on to a fresh new column! If you didn't know, my B.A. is in Art History, so I thought I would bring some of my background to you, providing you with quick and easy synopses of art periods and artists throughout history. Fun, right? And as I am off to Art Basel in Miami tomorrow, I can't think of a better time to kick it off! First up, an artist that you may have seen and heard a lot of, but didn't know much about. Well, consider yourself learn-ed, with my new column "Art in 5"...
More Ellsworth Kelly:
"Study for Combe II" 1950, cut pasted colored paper pencil
/
"Spectrum Colors Arranged by Chance VI" 1951, cut pasted colored paper pencil
/
"Study for 'Cité' Brushstrokes Cut into Twenty Squares and Arranged by Chance" 1951, paper collage with ink
/
"Spectrum Colors Arranged by Chance II" 1951, cut pasted colored paper pencil
/
Study for Rebound" 1955, ink and pencil on paper
/
"White over Black" 1963, painted aluminum
/
"Magnolia" 1965, transfer lithograph from drawing
/
"Spectrum IV" 1967, oil on canvas, 13 panels
/
"Cupecoy" 1984, lithograph on paper
/
"Houston Triptych" 1986
/
"The Yangtze" from States of the River series, 2005, lithograph
/
I hope you learned something new today! Let us know what you think.

4 comments:

Cindy Albert said...

I think it's so interesting that Kelly used automatic drawing. Have a wonderful day.

Emma said...

Great series - love it!!

M said...

Fantastic ideas for a series of posts. As an artist (and interior decorator) I am familiar with Kelly's work , but you did such a great job summarizing and choosing examples that it broadened my understanding of his place in history. I look forward to your next post and I'm guessing who it might be.

Anonymous said...

Lovely post. Great to learn something new.