photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Designer Profile: Sam Allen Interiors

sam allen22

{Sam Allen in the Rooms with a View Cabana he designed in 2011}

I recently stumbled across the work of Sam Allen, a young, stylish designer based in Connecticut and was instantly drawn to his bold use of color and his fabulous way of accessorizing any room just perfectly. Sam is an accomplished designer, having had his work featured in numerous publications including Vogue, The New York Times, and Connecticut Cottages & Gardens. What you may find surprising is that he is only 20 years old, yet he has been designing homes for clients since he was a teenager! I admire him for finding his calling at such an early age and having the wisdom to hone his skills so early on. Sam found a mentor in Sarah Kaplan, owner of Westport, Connecticut’s Dovecote who helped him navigate the design business, even taking him on annual buying trips to Europe. Sam was also the youngest intern to ever work for Martha Stewart. There is no doubt that Sam has had enviable training in the field. His background combined with his fabulous eye and sense of style made it possible for him to land his first independent client at the age of 17 leading to the founding of Sam Allen Interiors at the sweet age of 19. I wish I had been so focused at his age. If his portfolio is any indication, we will be seeing many fabulous interiors from Sam in the years to come. 

sam allen20

{A Chic Living Room in Fairfield Beach—I love the Parsons-Style Coffee table. Does anyone know where I can find one like it? I also love the artfully-arranged stacks of books.}

sam allen

{A Vibrant and Modern Photography Studio}

sam allen2

{I absolutely love the chairs, pillows, and lambswool pouf in this vignette.}

sam allen5

{The Living Room in this Westport residence illustrates “young traditional” style perfectly featuring a great mix of modern and classic elements.

Sam Allen3

{A Second View of the Wetsport Living Room—I always like a well-balanced, symmetrical space.}

sam allen9

{The color palette in this bedroom makes me long for Palm Beach or some other fabulous place by the ocean. It is very “beach chic”.}

sam allen8

{This fabulous, feminine room features a Philippe Stark Ghost Chair, Parsons Desk, and fun faceted table lamp.}sam allen7

{I love the mix of textures and colors in this vignette. The lambswool and Kelly Wearstler Bengal Bazaar pillows are fantastic.}

sam allen12

{Another Fabulous Ghost Chair / Parsons Desk Combination}

sam allen10

{A Classic White Kitchen with Bistro Stools}

sam allen15

{This Boys’ Room is so Charming. I love the color palette.}

sam allen13

{Chic Details}

sam allen18

{A Stylish Gameroom with More Bengal Bazaar and an Hermes Blanket}

sam allen17

{Sam selected such a great color palette for this space.}

sam allen19

{According to the New York Times feature on Sam, this room was one of the first spaces he ever designed and prompted the homeowner to ask the then-teenager to re-design the entire house!}

{Images via Sam Allen Interiors}

12 comments:

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

20???? Holy crap. So talented. I'm just going to say that, instead of feeling incredibly behind... ;)

The Glamorous Housewife said...

Wow, that desginer is fantastic! I especially love his use of color and the way he plays the masculine and feminine together. Sometimes I find male designers designs too, well, masculine. But this guy seems to be able to walk the line between the two. Wonderful post.

Thanks doll,
The Glamorous Housewife

Things That Inspire said...

Loved reading about Sam, especially since I grew up near Westport. I particularly like how he mixes and matches the high and the low - I spotted some PB and Serena & Lily along with some custom and high end.

The art he uses is incredible!

Holly

Dawna Jones Design said...

He is brilliant!!!! I love his use of color and pattern its the perfect mix of everything never overdone!
http://www.dawnajonesdesign.com/

Dawna Jones Design said...

Does anyone know who makes the black and white bold zebra fabric in the second and third pic?

Kristen said...

Wow. Must be nice to be so young and successful! Love his use of ghost chairs. I'm itching to get my hands on one!

Soltantouno said...

Giveaway in my blog!!!
Giveaway nel mio blog , vi aspetto!!!
www.soltantouno.blogspot.com

Squeak said...

My God, what a talented 20 year old! I can definitely see Sarah Kaplan's influence in his work. I hope we see more of his work in the decorating magazines soon.

Erin | Holtwood Hipster said...

One of the things I find so remarkable is not just that he's 20 and so incredibly talented, but that he has the awareness to design homes that aren't just decoratively pretty, but functional and comfortable to live in. Many people his age haven't even lived on their own yet. So to me, it's particularly notable that he can accomplish this as well as he does.

Dama said...

So cool!

http://hotcinnamon.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

thank you for sharing his talent with us!
I love everything!

SHERRY HART said...

20?.....20? Shut up. Unbelievable. What great style he already has! Must go get a ghost chair today.