photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, July 30, 2012

A Cozy Cottage

westbrook

This charming home designed by Barbara Westbrook is so dreamy! The exterior is absolutely gorgeous and the interior is decorated so beautifully. It is at once classic and tailored while being incredibly inviting. While it is not a “cottage” per se, the size of the home is definitely cozy. Why don’t they build homes like this anymore? I wish builders—and not just those for millionaires with personal architects, would start building historically-inspired homes with the charming details of the past. Unfortunately, we really don’t have much of this in Houston. What is it like where you live?

Ok, back to this lovely home. It has everything one could need, wrapped in a beautifully-designed, elegant, timeless interior. Every last nook is tastefully appointed. It’s like a charming little villa.

westbrook2

{I love the way Barbara styled the bookshelves in the living room.}

westbrook3

{I believe this house is located in Atlanta and it certainly has a very Southern sensibility—French antiques, beautiful rugs, and a sense of genteel hospitality.}

westbrook4

{Aren’t the doorways beautiful?}

westbrook5

{This guest bedroom looks so cozy! I love the frames on the wall as well as the alabaster lamps.}

westbrook6

{The bathrooms are classically-appointed like the rest of the house.}

{Images via Westbrook Interiors}

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Love the amount of sunlight that is reflected in each photograph. It adds a great element to the interiors.

XOXO
Brighton Keller

http://www.brightontheday.com

Unknown said...

Love the sunlight that illuminates each room in the photographs. It adds a great element to the interiors.

XOXO
Brighton Keller

http://www.brightontheday.com

Anonymous said...

I've loved this house for a long time. It looks as fresh and timeless today as it did when it was published in Southern Accents in 2005. It's the home of a well known architect but I can't recall his name at the moment. I will have to go find that issue (of course I still have it) and read the article again.

Julie said...

This house is amazing. I love the mix of old and new.

gigi said...

cozy!

Anonymous said...

I found it. The house belongs to Keith Summerour.

Anne said...

This is my dream home! Absolutely stunning!

-Anne
www.hammer-and-heels.com

Anonymous said...

I love the gallery wall between the two beds! It really gives your guests that sense of home! If you get a sec, I'd love to hear your thoughts on my latest. xo

peacelovedecor.com

High Cotton Style said...

Love this little house! While on a house hunt in a new place last week I wondered the same thing about builders!

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

One word: Charming!

Squeak said...

What a beautiful house! The decor is subtle and elegant.

I live in a city (Victoria, British Columbia) where there are architects who design small-to-medium-sized "new old" houses. I'm fortunate to live in one myself. It's 1450 square feet, with high ceilings, wood floors, fireplaces, beautiful windows, appropriate cabinetry ... and a veranda! I'm in heaven!

Chelsea said...

This is so dreamy! My dream home, for sure!

Kristen said...

This house is seriously my dream home. I love so many things about it. I live in the OC and everything is so new and lacking in charm. I would die for a house with this much character!

Elizzy said...

This is definitely a classic southern home! I love the curb appeal. I'm also a big fan of oriental rugs in the kitchen - they look fabulous and hide spots well too!

elizzym.blogspot.com

the designers muse said...

What a beautiful home...I love how understated it is from the exterior. Thanks for sharing.
Jennifer

Kim@Chattafabulous said...

Completely captivating! And you're so right, builders need to try and replicate some of the details of older homes rather than focusing on just square footage!

www.chattafabulous.blogspot.com

dervla @ The Curator said...

oooh the wall of frames is so classic! So hard to recreate. mine would always be slightly off. This house is so so pretty and a refreshing chance from the behemoths we are seeing nowadays.

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful home! The guest bedroom is perfection! Love the framed artwork/prints on the wall too.

www.donnaviningblog.com

Jennifer Eastman said...

I love this house, it's so charming. My favorite part is the sophisticated yet warm bathrooms. So chic!