photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Design Under the Influence: Bar Carts

Adore Home

It's Erika from small shop, and I just want to say, thank you for coming back for another "Design Under the Influence!" This week I wanted to do something light and fluffy: the bar cart. It's no surprise that the bar cart/table became widely popular in the 1940's when prohibition ended and everyone could enjoy a beverage out in the open...and did they ever! Particularly with summer entertaining, hostesses would wheel out the beverage cart onto the patio to serve guests en plein air. In the 1960's, movies with the Rat Pack, to James Bond, to Audrey and Cary, made cocktail hour and cocktail displays a permanent fixture. But in the 1970's and 1980's, an era of built-in cabinetry made the bar cart obsolete. Now we're seeing a resurgence of the bar cart, and I for one could not be more thrilled! What a fantastically fun way to dress up a nook of your home, while making guests feel festive all the same. Even if you don't entertain often, think of it as an excuse to create an artful display of pretty bottles and glassware.

Society Social's The Double

Lonny

Nicole Cohen via RUE

Design Manifest

Camile Styles via The Glitter Guide

A Cup of Jo

Williams-Sonoma Home

Hamptons Showcase House via My Cup of Te

designstILes

Society Social's The Sedgewick

Convinced? Here are more picks to get your party started!

1 / 2 / 3 / 4 / 5 / 6 / 7 / 8

napkins / book / glassware / tray / music

Come on over to small shop today for a special Society Social sneak peek!

21 comments:

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

Love these. A bar cart with a bottle of St. Germain on it is on my "must-have" list this year!

Jalon Burton said...

LOVE! That first cart it perfection! I totally want it. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful Wednesday

Annie said...

Love this post, and really enjoyed reading that trivia about the birth of the bar cart! Thanks for sharing!

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

I love a glass of St. G and Champagne!!! And I love these bar carts - esp. all from Society Social!!

Bethany
www.powellbrowerhome.com

Unknown said...

I love the bar cart trend!

Tobe | BIA said...

Hmmm...Wish #8 were more affordable. Easily my fave! Guess I'll have to continue to scour my local antique & thrift shops. What a pitty :)

Unknown said...

A recent edition to my own dining room, I don't think I've had as much fun decorating ANYTHING in my house! What better excuse to buy more booze really?

Love these examples (the first pic was inspiration for my own - gor.gee.us.)!

Here's my own wee attempt at it :)

http://gettingitswoonworthy.blogspot.com/2012/02/show-and-tell-before-afters-new-stuff.html

Fun post!! xxx

kristin said...

This is such a great post! I LOVE all of those bar carts…especially the brass bamboo carts. They would look absolutely perfect in my home :)

Sharon@house58blog.com said...

I have some Dorthy Thorpe glassware on my bar; it is beatiful and classic. I have found some beautiful Italian pieces as well on Etsy. I love a well curated bar! Great post!

Emily said...

Perfect timing! I'm on a mission to find the perfect cart, thanks for these great ideas! Nice post Erika!

p-l-a-i-d said...

I just love the images you chose. There are so many different ways to outfit a bar car and I love that you can really show your true personality through decanters, glasses and trays!

Anonymous said...

this is such a wonderful post! I want one of these in my house so bad!

Your Southern Peach said...

That first image is dreamy! Cheers :)

victoria | vmac+cheese said...

Great post! I had someone at a flea market last year tell me that bar cart values had doubled or tripled in the last few years...I think it has a lot to do with Mad Men too! This is a gorgeous roundup...great job, Erika!

Anonymous said...

How do I find the prices of the bar carts numbered 1-8

Elizabeth said...

I never entertain at home and I have always had a barcart! It just makes such a pretty statement. I love the ones Erika found!
xoxox e (modern24seven)

820am said...

what a great post. very chic ideas! thank you. xo, http://820am.blogspot.com/2012/02/your-body-is-your-temple.html

Laura Trevey said...

Love the catchy post title... and the wonderful accessories!!

Gaby [The Vault Files] said...

Great post Erika, loving cart #5, so sophisticated!

Lindsey @ arkadian belle woods said...

I love bar carts....I actually scored one similar to number one back in November and it was a avocado green color I sprayed it gold but it wasn't the metallic I was going for so I settled on silver and will eventually spray it gold but I only paid 99 cents for it :-) No joke

Naomi@DesignManifest said...

Thanks for the shout out, Dear!

I love my vintage bar cart! I happen to think the vintage ones are the best, but Society Social's options are chic and very well priced.