photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

A Nursery with a Twist

A friend of mine recently shared the news that she is expecting a baby. Naturally, being as design-obsessed as I am, I immediately started asking her about her plans for the nursery’s décor. Since she doesn’t know if she’s having a boy or a girl yet, she hasn’t really begun to envision what the nursery will look like. She did mention that if the baby is a girl, she doesn’t want to use typical “baby girl” colors and doesn’t want the room to scream “baby” either. I immediately envisioned how I would design a nursery to meet her criteria. I think what I came up with is pretty chic for a baby’s room and the pieces I chose are timeless and will continue to work in the space as the baby grows up. In spite of the blue and white color palette, I definitely designed this for a girl. While I feel the essence of the nursery is quite feminine, with a few tweaks, it could work just as beautifully for a boy!
image
image
What are your thoughts? Do you like the idea of using colors that are traditionally regarded as “boys’ colors” for a baby girl’s nursery?

7 comments:

Yolonda | Style Fragment said...

Love the nautical colors! Very classic and perfect for a baby boy or girl.

Anonymous said...

Such a gorgeous nursery!

Karen A
http://www.teenyhippie.com/

Unknown said...

This nursery is PERFECT! Looooove your vision here, Paloma!

Miya @ Design Indulgences said...

I agree about creating a space that transitions throught the toddler years. I don't have kids but I always said if I ever had a girl I would request minimal pink stuff. I am not a pink person and purples would be more a baby girl's color with something uncommon like sour apple green and chocolate.

Laura said...

This is beautiful! I am glad to see a pretty nursery that isn't dripping in pink.

marisol ~ beautyfound said...

I love the color palette and elegance of this nursery. The details on each furniture piece give it a feminine touch.

Additionally, look at this curious fact regarding colors:
When colors were first introduced to the nursery in the early part of the 20th century, pink was considered the more masculine hue, a pastel version of red. Blue, with its intimations of the Virgin Mary, constancy and faithfulness, was thought to be dainty. Why or when that switched is not clear, but as late as the 1930s a significant percentage of adults in one national survey held to that split. Perhaps that’s why so many early Disney heroines — Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Wendy, Alice-in-Wonderland — are swathed in varying shades of azure.

Elisa of Fancy Free Me said...

Love it! I'm over the moon for neutral nurseries and I'm not talking yellow and green. I love the soft whites you used and the blue works lovely with it.