photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, December 19, 2011

Home for the Holidays: Mark D. Sikes

IMG_0058[1]

You may recognize this gorgeous home from the cover of the December 2011 issue of House Beautiful. Designed by Mark D. Sikes and his partner, Michael Griffin, this lovely West Hollywood home is the definition of “new traditional”. Beautifully layered with classic furnishings and warm accents, the look is completely chic without feeling “decorated”. The homeowners have both enjoyed successful careers in visual merchandising, which is evident in how perfectly styled their home is. Mark worked in visual merchandising and marketing for Banana Republic for 15 years. Afterward, he moved on to Pottery Barn where he worked for 3 years. Most recently, Mark worked in visual merchandising for Juicy Couture, but has recently made the transition into his own business. In addition to taking on interior design projects, Mark is in the process of starting a retail consulting firm and hopes to open a home décor store in the future. With his keen eye for style and undeniable talent, I know that Mark will be very successful in his new endeavors. Mark and I recently became pals through the magic of social media and today, he is sharing an exclusive look into his holiday decorating style with La Dolce Vita.

IMG_0061[1]

This year, Mark decided not to put up a Christmas tree. Let’s be honest—putting up a tree is a huge amount of work. I’m not sure what takes longer, setting it up or taking it down. Instead, Mark has opted for natural elements such as potted paperwhites, amaryllis, evergreen, bayleaf, eucalyptus, citrus and pears. His décor is very organic and lends itself perfectly to the existing décor in the home.

IMG_0050[1]

{A Lovely Vignette in Mark’s Living Room}

IMG_1393[1]

{A Cozy Corner in the Living Room}

IMG_1394[1]

{The gorgeous dining room, swathed in Gracie wallpaper is accessorized with Amaryllis and potted evergreens for the holidays.}

IMG_0096[1]

{The console table in the dining room is also dotted with festive potted plants.}

IMG_1389[1]

{The holiday spirit carries over into the inviting kitchen. Notice the wreath on the door and the pretty paperwhites and bowls of citrus on the island.}

 

What are your thoughts on a neutral, organic approach to holiday decorating? Is this something you would do in your own home?

For more of Mark’s style musings, check out his blog and follow him on Facebook and Twitter.

{Images Courtesy of Mark D. Sikes}

19 comments:

Bethany [at] Powell Brower Home said...

i love this room so much! i will probably always keep that magazine cover with this room on it because its so perfectly quirky traditional!

Bethany
www.powellbrower.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you. I can't get enough of that house!! You made my day and I love the blog- both yours and his!

Leigh Ann

p-l-a-i-d said...

Every room is stunning! I love the chandelier and all the small details.

p-l-a-i-d said...

Every room is stunning! I love the chandelier and all the small details.

Content Director - Strong Female Leaders said...

Love all that green.

http://www.thegirlieblog.com

Kristy @ I Design Love said...

When I saw his home featured in House Beautiful I fell in love. Every little detail is amazing :)

Kristy
Www.idesignlove.com

Girlinapanama said...

This is beautiful, I will definately be taking inspiration from such an exquisite home.

Thank you for sharing!

Esther xx

http://girlinapanama.com/

Jamie @ charmingly ordinary said...

All of that greenery is gorgeous (and probably keeps the air clean!). Wish I had more of a green thumb... :)

Anonymous said...

Mark is a genius! Warm, stylish, classic and.....fun! Love. It. Can't wait to see what he does next. Keep us posted. :-)

Gwen Driscoll said...

So beautiful. Love the clean design but not too modern. Hope you're well.

CC said...

I love little touches of warmth.

Cyndia Montgomery said...

It's simply lovely! There are some years (this is one!) in which putting out all the Christmas decorations is just too much work. This year I have done almost no decorating, and it's really ok. I prefer to be surrounded by all the things that make me comfortable all year long; my books, my gardening things, and my plants. It is very freeing not to succumb to the "traditional" forms of Christmas decorating.

Nichole Loiacono said...

Loved this home in HB. Love it now all gussied up for Christmas. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!

bevy said...

I think it looks wonderful. For a few days our tree only had the white lights it came with and I thought it would've been perfect as is.

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

I have rarely seen such a cozy kitchen! Definitely going in my inspiration file.

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful home. so very chic dahhling.. particularly admired the wall paper in the dinningroom.

designchic said...

I love the simple fresh greenery and nothing has the delicious scent like paperwhites...gorgeous!!

Sea Green Designs said...

I love the simplicity and how the rooms capture the season without the traditional holiday ornamentation.

Rumah Dijual said...

Beautiful holiday home, with a natural white color looks more attractive