photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Tuesday, December 29, 2009

10 Things I Can’t Live Without: Caitlin Creer


Caitlin Creer is a doll. Her personal blog was one of the first I read before becoming a blogger myself. She was a friend of a friend and I was always drawn to the fabulous do-it-yourself projects she completed in the apartment that she and her husband shared.
Fast forward a couple of years and Caitlin has left New York, has a beautiful son named Winston, and an interior design business that is accompanied by her wonderful design blog. Caitlin’s preppy design sensibility is sort of Kate Spade-meets-J.Crew at the most incredible vintage furnishings store you can imagine. The girl has quite an eye! She is always finding the most amazing thrift store pieces and turning them into something beautiful with a fresh coat of paint and a fun fabric. Aside from her fab taste, the thing that I find most appealing to Caitlin is how genuine she is. Unpretentious, sweet, and super talented, she is the type of girl you’d want to be friends with. Thanks for sharing your “10 Things” list with us, Caitlin!
  1. My family and friends: I have been so lucky in my life to have wonderful people by my side. In every new stage of life I seem to be fortunate enough to collect amazing friends that enrich my life so much, and my blog friends are no exception. I'm also lucky enough to have a big family who is so wonderful and supportive and gives me so many reasons to be thankful.

Kelly Wearstler

domino
2. Children, specifically my son Winston: There is nothing quite like the imagination and discovery of a child. I think having children around keeps you young at heart and creative. My son is constantly inspiring me to look at things in new ways and experience the joy in each moment. He inspires my creativity as much as any design magazine or beautiful room.
3. The Internet and my trusty Mac: My business pretty much revolves around my computer and the Internet. Whether it's researching ideas for a client, do invoices, or reading some of my favorite blogs like La Dolce Vita, I spend a lot of time with my lap top. I also do a lot of e-decorating so I'm always working on design plans and sourcing pieces on the Internet.

Erinn Valencich

Carla Lane

Anne Coyle
4. Designers/magazines/blogs: I love being part of this amazing online community of bloggers, designers, and of course wonderful readers. I am so inspired by what so many out there are doing in their every day lives. It helps keep me going when I feel overwhelmed. I just got a handful of new design books for Christmas that I have literally spent hours just pouring through. The more inspiration I have around, the better my work is and the more creatively I'm able to approach projects. Some of my favorite designers right now include Anne Coyle, Carla Lane, and Erinn Valencich.
David Jimenez

Ruthie Sommers
5. Vintage accessories/furniture: I think every room should have a little bit of vintage, just to keep it grounded. I love shopping for one of a kind pieces and accessories. Believe it or not, Salt Lake City where I live has quite a few wonderful vintage/consignment stores where I often find wonderful pieces and it is a mecca for thrift store finds. Luckily my husband shares this hobby so we often make it a family affair on weekends. There is nothing like bringing new life to an old cast off piece of furniture and I love the sense of history that vintage pieces can add to a space. David Jimenez and Ruthie Sommers are masters of achieving just the right mix in this area. I literally study their rooms to absorb all the little details.


all images above by CC Interiors
6. Fun Fabrics: I don't think I've been doing this long enough to have a signature look, but I will say that in almost every project I look to incorporate fabulous fabrics. Keep in mind that fabulous doesn't have to mean expensive. I love using vibrant and colorful patterns to inject personality in to my rooms. When I'm working on a budget I always use premier prints as a go to. You can often find really great fabric options or throw pillows on etsy as well.
7. New York City: I lived in New York for four years (twice, two year stints with a break in between) and I just moved back to Utah a year ago. I miss the city every day, and I have to say that when it comes to learning and defining style, New York City is the best classroom. I've been working on a shopping guide to NYC for budget decorating sources and it should be done and debut on my blog some time this year. Every time I go to New York it feels like home. There is nothing quite like the wealth of interesting shops and showrooms that New York has to offer. Especially when you are seeking inspiration. I kind of grew up in New York since I moved there the first time as a college freshman at NYU. It will always be a big part of my identity.
8. My Collections: I've moved 7 times in the past 5 years. This has made me really good at 2 things, packing and learning how to efficiently set up a home and help my life and furniture translate from one space to another. One thing that really helps me feel at home wherever I am are my collections, which I have way too many of. I collect among other things, vintage children's books, milk glass, ginger jars. I love the impact a collection can have when it is artfully displayed.
9. Storage Boxes and Bins: I think I learned the importance of being organized from living in small New York City apartments. I have to confess that I have a lot of clutter but if you set up your house properly, no one ever has to know. I have little bowls, baskets, and boxes in and on almost every piece of furniture in my home. Among all the storage boxes I have, my vintage locker baskets, storage ottomans, and ikea metal bins have to be among my favorites.
Thomas Smythe from House & Home 10. A good down pillow: I am a busy girl so by the end of the day I am totally spent. I could sleep 12 hours a night if my schedule permitted, which it definitely doesn't and I'm usually lucky to get 7 hours. I sleep with 3 fluffy pillows every night and it makes all the difference to me. I often bring a pillow with me when I travel just so I know I'll be covered. It is so worth it to splurge on down bedding, it's like sleeping in a cloud.

13 comments:

Tammy@InStitches said...

ow, her top 6 are my exact top 6 ! I like her already. ;)

Unknown said...

thank you for sharing this! Caitlin now has a new fan in me! great 10-things post.
xox alison

www.froufroufashionista.blogspot.com

Jami - XOimagine said...

Paloma, I'm really liking this new series of yours! Every week I've been introduced to a new blog that is basically awesome :) thanks! -Jami

Soma Pradhan said...

I love her! She is truly one of the sweetest, most generous women in the industry!

Re:Fresh Design Studio said...

Fun read! I love Caitlin's blog and it was nice to learn more about her!

Averill said...

What a wonderful list (and pictures to go with it)! Caitlin's taste is so spot-on and I love her eye for color.

Shelah said...

Great list, Caitlin. I've been a lurker on your blog for a few months and love your work!

The Broke Socialite said...

Thanks for the introduction to Caitlin!

~Grace Happens~ said...

Hi! I'm new to your blog, and can't believe I haven't found you sooner. So many images I have found reflect my personal style and I'm so excited to be a new follower! Would love for you to stop by my blog one day too! Happy holidays!

Best,

Grace
nameisgrace.blogspot.com

Gena @ Inspired Living Spaces said...

I love these posts - they are fun and give such great insight into the pople in question, thanks Paloma.

Kathryn said...

Caitlin is amazing! I have seen many of her projects and I am always amazed at the beauty and uniqueness each room has. Winston is adorable!!

LindsB said...

I love Caitlin and her blog, this list is great!!

Southern Aspirations said...

Great 10-things post. I really love Caitlin's blog and these are fantastic pics too!