photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Friday, August 14, 2009

Fabulous Room Friday 08.14.09

{I love the hanging pans and color-coded cookbooks in the kitchen of Mark Badgley and James Mischka}

This week's fabulous room is the kitchen at Mark Badgley's and James Mischka's Kentucky horse farm, which is featured in the September issue of Elle Décor. The entire home is incredibly chic (I am in love with the monogrammed shams on their bed), but the kitchen is one of the rooms that stood out the most to me. Perhaps it is because I recently watched Julie and Julia and have had beautiful food and kitchens on the brain ever since. Either way, the kitchen in their 1920s limestone and clapboard Dutch Colonial Revival home has all the bells and whistles a modern cook could want (like subway tile from Urban Archaeology, dual sinks, and a La Cornue range), but still exudes so much of the home's original charm.


I love the simple black and white palette: white cabinetry with black countertops and conversely, an island with black cabinetry and carrara marble countertops. Normally, I would never choose polished brass anything, but the brass hardware really works in this space. I suspect the brass knobs on the La Cornue might have something to do with it. You don't alter a La Cornue to fit your kitchen, you alter your kitchen to fit your La Cornue! :)

Thank you for being the best, sweetest, kindest, and most supportive readers a blogger could ever hope for. Have a wonderful weekend!



11 comments:

Alicia B. Designs said...

I've been looking over this spread for a few days and I can't take my eyes off it! I love love that kitchen (sorry but i don't love the color coated books) but the subway tile and the lighting is AH-mazing. Have a great weekend!!

A New England Girl said...

How amazing! I love that kitchen... Please excuse me while I wipe the drool off of my desk. Like Alicia, I think the color-coded books are a bit too much for my liking, but it certainly fits well in that photograph. Beautiful home!

Liza said...

I love the color coded books! It reminds me of the rainbow of my dishes.

vicki archer said...

Fabulous kitchen....What a collection of cookbooks, I would love that. Have a wonderful weekend Paloma, xv.

Unknown said...

Beautiful home. I saw other photos of this home from 'the adventures of tartanscot's' blog last week. So incredibly chic. Who knew that such fashion icons even knew where Kentucky was?! LOL!

Unknown said...

I accidentally cliked "reject" instead of "publish" on my iPhone last night when I received this comment from Michelle.:

I have a simple white/beige/silver pattern from Lenox. I like it because you can add color with the table linens or flowers/centerpiece depending on the occasion. I have a hope of one day replacing our current dishes from Target and getting Fiestaware for everyday a variety of fun bright colors!

Jessica Ferron said...

Living in Kentucky, I don't usually feel very in touch with the actual fashion world because, well, it's Kentucky! I can't believe there are a pair of fashion geniuses literally in my backyard, but it's very exciting! Maybe it's silly to get giddy over that, but I can't help it. Thanks for the post! :)

Haven and Home said...

When I saw that picture of the cookbooks I was in love. I am rethinking the way my cookbooks are set up...

LindsB said...

I would die for two sinks like this....one for me and one for the BF. Then we'll really see whos dishes are left in the sink the longest :)

Averill said...

I love this kitchen! I particularly like how they made such a feature out of their cookbooks and how timeless the entire space feels.

Brass does seem to be making a comeback, but it seems a bit softer than what I remember from the 80s and early 90s.

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

What I wouldn't do for those windows!