photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, January 22, 2009

The Bold and the Beautiful

Nate Berkus masters the use of the graphic rug.


Recently, a friend was telling me how much she would like to transform her living areas without spending too much money. She wanted to keep the traditional furniture she already has, but wanted her house to have a more modern edge. I immediately suggested that we add some new accessories and that she should consider buying some new rugs in bold patterns.

Graphic rugs are not for the faint of heart, but they are one component of a room that can make a very bold statement. Quite often, they can balance out the more subdued or traditional sensibility of a room. However, bold rugs can also be found in rooms that are already dressed in bold colors, patterns, and textures. Rugs are one of my favorite ways of adding loads of style to a room and are often the key in pulling all of the individual elements together.


Nate Berkus


I love the way he uses rugs in his interiors. They make a statement without overwhelming the room.


Nate Berkus


Nate Berkus


Nate Berkus


David Jimenez



David pairs colorful, graphic rugs against the bold accessories and colors in these rooms in his home in Palm Springs.


David Jimenez


Jennifer Dyer

This chic living room actually belongs to Preston Lee's partner, Jennifer Dyer and features one of my favorite rugs ever.



The Hospes Granada Hotel in Spain


The graphic rug takes the otherwise serene room to the next level.


Thom Filicia



This rug works beautifully with the rest of the room. It complements the color scheme beautifully.



The rug in this office, featured in the October 2008 issue of Living Etc. has a very romantic quality and adds life to the room.



Kelley Wearstler: The undisputed queen of bold gestures

Kelley Wearstler


Kelley Wearstler


I love the rug Ryan Brown of Brown Design and Flipping Out chose for this family room. The colors and Sputnik chandelier give the room a very Palm Springs vibe.


Ron Marvin chose a zebra print rug for his tiny, but incredibly stylish Manhattan studio apartment.


Mary McDonald

Mary's guest house is featured in the current issue of Domino and it has generated a lot of buzz.

The deep navy rugs she used seal the deal in the over the top, but oh-so-fabulous guest cottage.


12 comments:

Anonymous said...

I might have left this comment twice, sorry if I did!

I love Preston's rug, as well as ANYTHING by Kelley. I also fell in love with Mary's guest cottage in Domino(along with everyone else on earth)

Pink Wallpaper said...

love the graphic rug idea...instantly adds a funky element into a room.

Fargerike Dagny said...

I absolutely LOVE graphic area rugs. In Norway there's NONE. The stores only carry oriental, minimalist or shabby chic rugs. What to do???

niartist said...

I love Thom Filicia, and most everything that he does. The picture of the chaises is great, as are all of the others. Completely agree with the idea that using graphic patterned rgs is not for faint of heart ... this is a great blog! Thanks, and happy Thursday!

cotedetexas said...

check out Visual Vamp's living room

http://visualvamp.blogspot.com/2009/01/mocca-chocolata-ya-ya.html

modeled after NB's graphic rug, she bought hers for pennies at Ikea. I defy anyone to say it doesn't look as good as these $$$$$ rugs.

Great, great post Paloma - good reference one for the files!!!

###### said...

Great uses of the rugs. I love everything Nate does. Where can these be found?

Things That Inspire said...

I loved this post, because it really shows how a rug can transform a room. I must admit that graphic patterned rugs are not my personal style, because they add such a bold contemporary element - I prefer the contemporary element to come through fabric (pillows usually) and art - but I definitely appreciate the boldness of the look.

Haven and Home said...

Fabulous post! I love it so much I reference you today. This is one of my favorites ever!!!!

High-Heeled Foot in the door said...

Oh I love this. All of those choices. I want a rug for my bedroom so this post gave me lots of inspiration.

I always have great luck at the west elm outlet for finding fab look a like rugs for a fraction of the price.

The last rug I bought from there was an 8 x 11 with brown and cream stripes. I love it and it was 70 bucks!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing so many great photos!

Brooke @ Blueprint Bliss said...

Great post! Thanks for sharing so many great photos!

Maria Killam said...

Love this post, good research you did for the great images found to illustrate your point!