photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, May 19, 2014

Inspired by: The Sunset Tower Hotel


Every now and then, when I express my love of Los Angeles to people who don't live there, I'll get a few blank stares that indicate the person is thinking "Seriously? Who could possibly love LA?". I guess for some people, Los Angeles conjures thoughts of traffic, overpriced housing, and the seedy side of the entertainment industry, but I have been lucky to experience what I feel is the true spirit of Los Angeles. A spirit rooted in chic, effortless style, a warm, gracious sensibility, and an awareness of the glamour of the Hollywood of days gone by. My vision of Los Angeles is filled with images of Melrose Place, the elegant boulevards in Hancock Park, stylish hillside homes with beautiful vistas, a vibrant design scene, and inspiring, creative friends who push me to be better at what I do.

No hotel in L.A. embodies this spirit more completely than the Sunset Tower. Originally designed as a luxury apartment building in 1927 by Leland A. Bryant, the Sunset Tower was once home to Howard Hughes, John Wayne (who kept a cow on his terrace to provide fresh milk for the residents), Greta Garbo, Mae West, Marilyn Monroe, Clark Gable, Elizabeth Taylor, and Frank Sinatra. Considered one of the finest examples of Art Deco architecture, the building fell into disrepair over the years until hotelier Jeff Klein purchased the building in 2004, restoring it to its former glory along with designer Paul Fortune. In the decades since the tower had been a glamorous apartment building, it went by several names including the St. James Club and the Argyle, but Klein decided to restore its original name. 

Though I have yet to stay at the Sunset Tower, I have been to the hotel's Tower Bar for dinner several times and can attest to the fact that Klein, along with his incredible staff including his legendary maitre d'hotel, Dmitri Dmitrov have created a respite from the hustle and bustle of the city that is glamorous in the most elegant, least ostentatious way. The amazing attention to detail and personal service has created what feels like a safe harbor for celebrities. Apparently, a slew of A-Listers favor the Sunset Tower because of the discreet staff and discerning clientele that aren't going to accost them in the lobby. I had dinner at Tower Bar a couple of times during my trip to LA a couple of weeks ago and plan to stay at the property and dine at the hotel again during my next trip to my home away from home. The Sunset Tower has quickly become a favorite of mine and clearly, it is for good reason.

{The lobby, along with the rest of the hotel is dressed in a palette of soft, warm neutrals.}

{Another View of the Lobby}

{The Fabulous Tower Bar restaurant}

{The tables at the Tower Bar are arranged into intimate seating areas.}

{The Terrace at the Sunset Tower also serves food and is located on the opposite side of the hotel near the pool.}

{Aren't the banquettes chic?}

{The Pool and Outdoor Terrace}

{An Aerial View of the Pool}

{A Guest Room at the Sunset Tower}



{How chic is this canopied bed in a townhouse suite bedroom?}

{A Well-Appointed, Stylish Bathroom with Brass Fittings}

There is something so special about the Sunset Tower. Part of it is that it straddles the line between a modern sensibility and the incomparable glamour of Old Hollywood so perfectly. Can you believe its history? I've had a few celebrity sightings at the Tower, but I'll never tell-- after all, I'd like to show my face there again! The quiet elegance, glamour, and embodiment of the spirit that anything could happen in LA will keep me coming back time after time. 

{Images Courtesy of the Sunset Tower Hotel}

4 comments:

On Madison said...

How glamorous! We need to make a day trip.

Bonnie said...

My children gave my husband and me a stay at the Sunset Tower Hotel as a Mother's Day gift. Like you, I have been for drinks and dinner but had not stayed until last week. The staff is wonderful and the rooms are understated in the most wonderful way!

Laurel said...

This is gorgeous!! Want to visit ASAP! :)

jward1224 said...

My husband took me there for a birthday getaway on the same weekend as the Grammys. Went to the bar for cocktails and sat next to John Mayer and Katy Perry.