photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Friday, May 2, 2014

Fabulous Room Friday 05.02.14

Snip20140501_16
Last night, my Instagram feed was flooded with a barrage of photos from the Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse. Top designers from across the country were invited to decorate rooms for the showhouse which raises funds for the Kips Bay Boys and Girls Club. Most of the designers dressed their rooms in rich colors, bold patterns, and striking motifs. After all, showhouses are a great opportunity to turn up the volume. That is exactly why I was so drawn to the room designed by Darryl Carter. In keeping with Darryl’s signature style, the room is done in a neutral palette and features a chic mix of traditional, modern, and rustic pieces. In a sea of exuberant rooms, Darryl’s room makes a huge statement with its element of restraint allowing the scale, composition, and provenance of his room to be the focus.
Snip20140501_17 The room is beautiful and inspiring with some unexpected elements and a sense of humor. Just take a look at the white streaks painted across the mouths of the couple in this pair of 19th century paintings. The huge Aubosson rug in the center of the room was laid upside down to expose the weave and the central focus of the room (in the first image above) features a landscape painting torn from its frame.
Snip20140501_18 This corner of the room really serves as an illustration of Darryl’s signature style. A Recamier, antique pedestal table, and ultra-modern floor lamp and artwork come together to form a beautiful composition.
Given that I declared white as my current “Color Crush” earlier this week, you probably aren’t too surprised that this was among my favorite spaces at this year’s Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse. I loved several of the rooms done in bold colors, but lately, I’ve been all about neutrals and paring things down, so I felt like Darryl’s room really spoke to me. How do you feel about neutral spaces? Do you think it’s possible to still achieve a wow factor without the use of strong colors?
Signature-3
{Image Source: The New York Times}

6 comments:

Julie Khuu | Haute Khuuture said...

I'm lalaLOVING how collected this space feels! Like a world traveler's pied-a-terre inbetween cities! I consider myself quite a maximalist designer so piling up pretty neutral tones anchored with black and white staples is definitely where I'm headed as of late. It's not about the over saturation of color, but more of the mood elicited that excites me- fabulous showcase!

xo-Julie
Peace. Love. LOL!

Haute Khuuture Blog

The Visual Vamp said...

Yes!
xo xo

Anonymous said...

Yes, definitely! I've salivated over this room since the first time I saw it this week. Darryl Carter rules!

Kathryn said...

Fabulous room is right! Darryl Carter's restrained and thoughtful interiors always resonate with me. In this room I'm especially loving those minimal frames on the backdrop of all that classic white paneling - it sees you might as well as there's a similar look in your previous post!

Karena said...

Darryl did it so uniquely and artfully right! I love this room especially the corner nook!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena

Beeta @ Mon Petit Four said...

Wow, love this space! It looks so sophisticated and cultured, yet clean and contemporary at the same time too. The gray and light hues certainly don't hurt either! ;)