photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, September 30, 2010

The Style Files: Grant K. Gibson

Grant K. Gibson headshot[1]

Grant K. Gibson is both a prolific young designer and a successful blogger. Earlier this year, he was named one of “Five Designers to Watch” by Elle Décor, which is quite an extraordinary achievement for someone as young as Grant. I don’t think his being on such a list came as a surprise to anyone who knows Grant. He is extraordinarily talented, creating rooms that are rooted in classic design, but speak to modern tastes. His designs are the type that we will look back on in ten, twenty, thirty years and they will still look fresh because he understands how to mix antiques and vintage items with more modern ones so incredibly well. Grant’s talent isn’t the only thing that has resonated with readers. He is also one of the nicest, most genuine people in blogland.

grant2

Name: Grant K. Gibson

Occupation: Interior designer/decorator

Hometown: Los Angeles/New York

Current City: San Francisco

IMG_7188[1] 

LDV: What inspired you to begin your career in interior design?

GKG: I have always been loved design my whole life. I always was changing things around in my childhood bedroom and would walk into a space and have ideas. I woke up one day and thought- why not turn my passion and love of design into a reality.

4[1]

LDV: What do you love most about what you do?

GKG: I love working with clients and making their dreams come true. People hire me to take a blank canvas and work my magic. I love it when a client tells me that they don’t want to leave their house. That makes me so happy. I don’t design spaces for me- I design spaces for other people.

LDV: What is the most challenging aspect of your career?

GKG: I like to give people what they like. Regardless of their design style. I am happy with helping people that like color or not much color- traditional or more modern.

 

LDV: Where do you find inspiration?

GKG: I would say that travel is where I find the most inspiration for my work. I love traveling and taking photos or details. I am always learning something new everyday and just love the finding new ideas and ways to do things.

{Dining Room by John Saladino, Photo by Lucca Trovato}

LDV: Who are some of your personal style icons?

GKG: Picking one is like picking a favorite child! - but I love Albert Hadley, John Saladino, David Hicks.

IMG_7158[1]

LDV: How would you describe your own style?

GKG: I would say that my style is classic, timeless and comfortable.

I work in all styles- so it is important for me to give the client what they want and make them happy. Some designers only do a certain “look”- but I love all styles and am happy to work on projects with any style.

LDV: What is the trait you most admire in a person?

GKG: Honestly, loyalty and great humor!

LDV: What is your principal weakness?

GKG: I have to say that I am messy. I wish that I wasn’t. I am organized- but there is always a pile of things on my desk and projects that I am working on. I wish that it could look perfect all of the time- but that is all make believe and we don’t all live like that!

{The Incomparable Rosalind Russell as Auntie Mame}

LDV: What is the best piece of advice you have ever received?

GKG: Aunite Mame said to: “LIVE! LIVE! LIVE!” and I do it every day!

LDV: What do you consider your greatest achievement?

GKG: I was shocked and honored and amazed to be named as one of the 5 Designers to Watch this year by Elle Décor. It was like a dream come true!

LDV: What is your idea of living “la dolce vita”?

GKG: I think that I actually live “la dolce vita”- I love my life of design, love, travel. I wake up each day and am excited to learn something news.

 

grant

grant tulips

 

Bloom: White French tulips, peonies, and white roses

Food: Carbs! I have such a weakness for pasta, bread and potatoes!

Drink: A non fat latte in the morning, lots of iced tea during the day and white wine for the end of the day.

Thing to Wear: I actually don’t like to shop for clothes- so I keep it simple and only wear black and white.

paris chair_fromme-toyou_tumblr8 - Copy

Destination: I love Paris- I would hop on a plane in a second.

Season: I love fall- the colors- the food.

Meal: I cook all of the time- so I would have to say it would be something that I would make at home.

Musician: I love music- too hard to pick!

 

Artist: Again too hard to pick.

Film: Any thing Hitchcock or with Cary Grant

Television Show: I love Mad Men!

Book: A home at the end of the world- Michael Cunningham

grant hb

Magazines: Elle Décor, House Beautiful, AD, World of Interiors

Blogs: La Dolce Vita (naturally!), The Sartorialist, Habitually Chic, Slow Love Life, Style Court, The Peak of Chic, The Style Saloniste, The Bedlam of Beefy, An Aesthete's Lament, Domicidal Maniac, NICK OLSEN

Texture: Cashmere anything!

Fabric or Pattern: I love linen. Roger and Goffigan anything!

Color: Black and white

Scent: Hermes orange verte

Extravagance: Candles- Love them!

Quote: Too much of a good thing can be wonderful- Mae West

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Paloma,

Love, love your blog...
quick question what is the name of the plant in the picture with the dogs a . I have seen it several times in different photo shoots and can't find it here in Hawaii...thx!

Denise
http://dalohavida.blogspot.com/

Kelly Krugh said...

Any idea who makes his glasses??! I LOVE his frames!!!!

chateaudelille said...

Hi Paloma, he sounds very interesting. Im going to show this to my son who is interested in being creative. Fiona

Kerrisdale Design Inc said...

Denise the plant is a fiddle-leaf fig or 'ficus lyrata'. I'm a fan too and am hunting for one for my living room!

I adore this post on Grant...he's one of my favorite designers, I love his style!

Karla

Mona Thompson said...

Nice interview. Love Grant Gibson's work.

mrsplainjane said...

Ah, someone else is familiar with the fiddle-leaf fig :) We've been seeing them all week from Rose Tarlow's showroom to Juxtaposition Home and they are so fabulous! Sorry, sidetracked by the trees, great interview and photos too. And I like his comment about wearing black & white ;) big surprise, right?

Tannu said...

Really Nice Blog!:)

funspics.blogspot.com

jacqueline. said...

love love Love Grant's style. Keep it up!