photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Sunday, July 6, 2008

Labradoodle Love

Miniature Australian Labradoodle

My husband and I have been contemplating getting a dog for a while now. We want a sweet, intelligent, playful, but somewhat laid-back dog. Back in May, while celebrating his birthday in San Francisco, we saw an Australian Labradoodle for the first time. We've been smitten ever since! I tend to love shaggy dogs, and they definitely fit the bill (they don't shed...huge plus!).

Not to be mistaken with an American Labradoodle, which is just a first generation mix between a poodle and a lab, the Australian Labradoodle has been cross-bred across multiple generations. They come in three sizes: miniature, medium, and standard and with three possible types of coats.We like both the fleece and wool coats.I'm not sure if we'll actually get one, but I sure hope we do.

Standard Australian Labradoodles in a variety of colors

10 comments:

Ann said...

The miniature Australian Labradoodle looks so cute. I didn't even know there was such a breed. And they really don't shed? Perfect pet.

I ♥ You said...

you really can't go wrong either way. looks at those cute faces!!! i hope you get one!

Sarah Ring said...

My fiance & I got a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel for Christmas (07) and we adore him! We have an affection for shaggy dogs as well!

Anonymous said...

These Australian Labradoodles are way too cute. My father has two miniature poodles and loves the fact that they don't shed (actually, they don't smell either). These Labradoodles will have the wonderful traits of a lab that we all love. I hope you get one too!

Sheri said...

Oh, that is definitely a cute dog! I have been dying for a West Highland Terrier for years now. The kids are cramping my dog style. I don't want a puppy and a baby at the same time. :P Give me a couple years, though.

Anonymous said...

You might want to check out Portuguese Water Dogs. These two breeds share several characteristics. Shaggy, great temperments, intelligent, want to please their owners, hair not fur, cute, cute, cute!

Topsy Turvy said...

You'd have to get 3, just like those in the photo - they look so cute together.

-Lana

Anonymous said...

Please do some research about these dogs! The people breeding them are profit-driven. There is no breed standard, show circuit, or breed organization for them because they are, in essence, mutts. In other words, there is no way to make sure you will get a healthy dog. By definition, a cross-breed (nouveau-riche word for a mutt) is not well bred because it's not a pure bred dog.

Good luck with the search! I know it can be emotional and frustrating at times. There are lots of wonderful dogs out there! If you want a mixed breed, a rescue is your best bet. If you want to lay out $2000 for a dog, your money is best spent on a pure bred dog with championship lines.

Unknown said...

Anon, thank you for your insight. I totally understand what you mean and am always happy to hear other people's perspectives.

Sunny said...

Hi Paloma,
I just now noticed that my dogs (Berkshire Hills Australian Labradoodles in Massachusetts) were up on your blog! I have no problem with that as you have very good taste :)
I have to address ANON who makes very uneducated generalizations about the Labradoodle. Though what she said may apply to backyard breeders breeding their Lab to the neighbors Poodle it doesn't apply to those of us who are ethically breeding the Australian Labradoodle, a very different dog. And we do have extremely organized and strict ethical breed clubs.
A well bred Australian Labradoodle is not only stunning but a joyful companion!
Good luck, love your blog!
Sunny
Oh, and I have a gorgeous red girl who's name is Paloma!