photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Goals and Aspirations for the New Year


Happy New Year! With 2014 firmly upon us, it is time to reflect on the lessons, achievements, and experiences of the previous year and to plan for the new year. I don't like to make resolutions because there seems to be something about that label that keeps the goals from sticking. Instead, I like to treat the year as a whole as I do any regular day. I am a notorious list maker-- I make a to-do list every single day. It helps to keep me focused and on track and I also like the sense of accomplishment  that comes from being able to check off each task, so rather than make traditional resolutions, I treat my goals as a to-do list. 2012 was a pretty tough year personally and in terms of health, so in contrast, 2013 was pretty good. I quit my job and started my interior design business, finally feeling the fulfillment that I have longed for all this time. I traveled quite a bit for work and Fabian and I enjoyed a couple of vacations to Los Angeles in the spring and London in the fall. My mom and Tate both had some health scares this year, but luckily, they are both on the mend and are doing much better. I received some great press and became a contributor to Domino. All in all, it was a great year. In 2014, I want to be very focused and work hard to accomplish certain goals, but also hope to learn to simplify and pare back, focusing on the things that are truly important and bring me joy.

1. I really hope to take things to the next level with the blog this year. I am still figuring out exactly what that looks like, but I will have some exciting blog-related things in store this year including a revamp of the site, some great new series, and our fabulous roster of new contributors. Everyday, I thank my lucky stars for my wonderful readers. You all enrich my life in a way that I will never be able to fully express through words. Thank you for the gift of your readership and support.


2. I am so thankful to be as busy as I am with my design business after just seven months. I have some amazing clients and can't wait to share what we've been working on once some of the projects are completed. This year, I really want to focus on getting rock solid systems in place on the business side. Part of that includes bringing on an assistant to help with Paloma Contreras Design as well as La Dolce Vita as we continue to grow. I've been toying with the idea of bringing someone on for several months now, but haven't taken the plunge just yet because the whole thing makes me so nervous! I think I will finally just have to do it early in the year.



3. As a decorator and design-obsessed blogger, I am always thinking of new things I want to do around the house. I have a separate to-do list for that and resolve to get it all done by spring. Now all I have to do is find the time in between the blog and design work! 

{Image from my trip to San Francisco last April via my Instagram}

4. Travel is one of my biggest passions in life. It isn't just something that I enjoy, but something that I need and crave. I believe that everyone needs a change of scenery from time to time, exploring new places or revisiting favorite destinations. It's good to shake things up. We've been fortunate to be able to travel to several places in Europe during our marriage, but after our long flights to and from London last September, we decided that in 2014, we want to travel a little closer to home. We are planning a trip to San Francisco and Napa-- two places that we love, but haven't visited together in a few years. I've been back for work, but the last time Fabian and I were there together was in 2008 or 2009, so we are long overdue. The same goes for New York, which we'd like to visit together for vacation rather than for work this year. I'm sure I'll end up in L.A. at some point this year, hopefully for Legends of La Cienega in May, but it would be great to go with Fabian. It's also been much too long since we've been to Mexico, so we're hoping to visit Mexico City for the first time in 2014 or revisit beautiful San Miguel de Allende.

{Tracy Anderson Method Advocates and Business Partners, Gwyneth Paltrow and Tracy Anderson | Image via Babble}

5. I was finally starting to get into a good exercise routine and then the holidays happened and shortly after that, I got sick, so exercise has been on the back burner. Fabian and I have both agreed that we need to motivate one another and get into a true fitness routine this year and stick to it. We need to use our gym membership regularly and I finally caved and bought Tracy Anderson's Metamorphosis, so I will be giving that a try soon. I hope I like it. I've heard it's brutal! So in 2014-- a little less wine and cheese and a lot more cardio.

{Girls Star, Jemima Kirke's Sweet Daughter, Rafaella via The Glow}

6. On a very personal note, I finally think that this will be the year for us to try to have a baby. I can't help but laugh a little at the thought because for the entire duration of our marriage (8+ years), we've always said "maybe next year" and the years just keep flying by. I've never felt 100% ready or woken up and thought "I just have to have a baby soon", but we know that we would like to have a family and let's face it-- we're not getting any younger! I just turned 32 in November and Fabian will be 34 in May. Couple that with the fact that I have Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome and we wouldn't be doing ourselves any favors by waiting longer than we already have. If anything, the journey will probably just be more challenging. Lately, seeing my friends with their sweet children has made me want that special bond with a baby of my own. Hopefully, this will finally be our year for a baby Contreras!

{Image via Vogue Nederland}

7. Finally, I want to remind myself to focus on the things that matter most. I need to remember that I can't do everything and I certainly can't do it all at once. I also need to keep in mind that everyone's journey is different when someone else has reached a career or personal milestone. After all, comparison is the thief of joy and we each have our own unique path. I need to be more patient with myself as well as with my loved ones. I need to remind myself to focus on the big picture in terms of my career rather than getting so stressed out by the details and the day to day. I want to be sure to be truly and wholly present for my family and friends and remember to enjoy those small, special moments as much as the big ones.

Happy New Year! I hope 2014 is filled with happiness, health, and success for each of you. May the best of the past be the worst of the future.

10 comments:

Tanja Ayesha said...

what a great post. happy new year.
http://www.a-touch-of-luxe.blogspot.com

'Becca'lise said...

Good luck with the baby! My husband and I have been trying since July with no luck so far, but here's hoping 2014 treats both of us well in the baby department!

Loribeth said...

You're very smart not to wait any longer to start a family. Jim and I didn't meet until we were both in our 40s, and we often wish that we had met sooner so we could have had a baby. Unfortunately, even if age weren't a factor, my health would make it very dangerous.

Your blog is wonderful, and I'm looking forward to seeing what more you do with it!

Happy New Year! Here's to a wonderful 2014!!

Blog said...

Happy 2014! I've been a long time reader but for some reason didn't know you had PCOS. I have it as well and this is the year we've decided to start trying too! Will be an adventure to see what PCOS has in store for us! Heres to hoping our journeys will bring us babes in 2014!

Brittany
www.loveofgold.com

Unknown said...

These are all great goals for 2014!! Several of them are on my list as well! Congrats on trying for a little one, we are as well! XoXo

Simply Modern Home said...

Happy New Year, Paloma! Love your blog and look forward to the changes in 2014! Good luck on the baby front as well! I also have PCOS and it did take a while (and a great fertility doc) but eventually we were blessed with beautiful twins. I hope this will be the year for you!!

All the best,

Susan
http://simplymodernhome.com

Simply Modern Home said...

Happy New Year, Paloma! Love your blog and am looking forward to the changes in 2014! Best of luck on the baby front as well. I also have PCOS and it took a couple of years (and a great fertility doc) but we were eventually blessed with beautiful twins. I hope this is your year!!

All the best,

Susan
http://simplymodernhome.com

Jak + Jae said...

Happy New Year! I would like to borrow your #7 resolution. Such a good one! As someone who waited until she was 34 before starting a family I can tell you this - if you wait for the perfect time to start a family, you never will. You will be an amazing mom! Best of luck to you and Fabian.

Jacqui said...

You will love being a mommy. There's never a perfect time, I'm sure you've heard that before. I had a hard time in the fertility department, but it eventually works out if you keep your options open. Good luck with all of your goals, and thanks for bringing a little inspiration and beauty into my world all these years.

reno-vate.blogspot.com tells the story of the farm house we're renovating, the photography is awful but the content is fun: )

Ann said...

I had PCOS and we were blessed with a little girl in 2013. If you need any PCOS support, please message me. I know the fear and frustration. xo, best wishes.