photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Love them or Leave Them: The Olsens

Pinned Image

While we’re on the topic of Bohemian Glamour after Vanessa’s post this morning, I can’t help but wonder about your thoughts on Mary Kate and Ashley Olsen. Along with Kate Moss and Sienna Miller, the Olsen twins are often seen as the poster girls for the “boho chic” look. My feelings about the Olsens have been all over the place through the years. I was an avid Full House fan growing up and will always associate the Olsens with little Michelle Tanner and her cute lines like “You got it, dude!”.

Pinned Image

Fast forward several years while the girls built their massive empire catering to young girls and tweens. As a teenager, I had no interest in their movies and merchandise, but couldn’t help but notice when they emerged as fashionistas a few years after that. At first, I couldn’t understand what was so fashionable about them. For a good while, they sported the “dumpster diving, granny chic” look that I’ve never been able to get behind, so imagine my surprise as I have recently embraced their style evolution. I resisted liking Mary Kate and Ashley for a long time, but I am really loving their style as well as everything they have created through their fashion lines, Elizabeth and James and The Row.

Pinned Image

There are still times when they look a little disheveled for my taste, Mary Kate in particular, but other times, they look so effortlessly chic. How do you feel about the Olsens’ style? Are you a fan?


Check out this video from Net-A-Porter in which Mary Kate and Ashley discuss their style and their inspiration for The Row.

16 comments:

Vanessa Stern said...

I absolutely love them and was going to include them in the post, but I understand people's mixed emotions about them. I admire their sense of self expression (although I probably wouldn't sport many of their looks). I think they've done a lot of experimenting over the years and love that they don't use a stylist. They are unique and independent and don't conform, which is refreshing!

Marcus Design said...

I am all over the map about them too. Full House was an afterschool staple for me which is probably part of the problem! I do agree that they have a certain allure about them or we wouldn't be talking about them!
Nancy xo

Anonymous said...

I love the twins. I have been fallowing them since I was a kid and as I grew up I fell in love with the style and so much of what they have on! I just love them!

Unknown said...

I had no idea Mary-Kate was behind Elizabeth and James. I love them. Thanks for sharing!

xo, Abbey
http://abbeybrandon.blogspot.com/

bevy said...

Yes, they did seem to start off as kinda granny grungy, which I didn't care for, but nowadays they seem a bit more polished. I think I prefer Ashley's style a bit more though. Although sometimes Mary Kate can surprise you every once in a while.

The enchanted home said...

I really like them, I respect them a lot more than a few others who shall remain nameless oh about the age but have a lot less class. They are smart, accomplished, cultured and doing things with their lives...very impressive young girls and great role models to other young girls.....nice post.

Unknown said...

LOVE them and their style!

Vittle me this... said...

Love their style, not sure about them personally though....

Amanda said...

omg i love these pictures!!! dieee
xox
amanda

www.lovenycstyle.com

Smith, Here! said...

Mary Kate seems a bit dark, but i do think they are talented and do have a great sense of style.

quintessence said...

I never really liked them but have to give them credit - what smart young business women. They are clearly focussed and driven and The Row is one of my favorite lines - gorgeous tailored modern style!!

Crissy @ House of Marlowe said...

I think they have their moments but I definitely lean toward a more polished look. It will be interesting to see what their little sister does!

Shannon said...

I think they aren't afraid of fashion. They definitely don't mind the judgement that comes with wearing certain styles that people wouldn't feel comfortable wearing. They are so cute and fabulous.

www.dylandrake.blogspot.com

alyssa said...

LOVE them! its not enough that they look gorgeous all the time but they have multiple successful fashion lines!

amazing ladies.

xx
alyssa
http://wereaucourant.blogspot.com

LeeLee said...

I love their style.

Tatiana Doria said...

Love them