photo home-76.png photo about-71.png photo contact-65.png photo press-19.png photo LDV.png photo services-7.png

Monday, November 21, 2011

Beautifully Organized: Ideas for Shoe Storage

Hello everyone! Arianna here from Arianna Belle Organized Interiors. Today I want to share with you a few of my favorite ways to organize shoes. Whether you have lots of space, limited space, you like open storage, or closed storage, there's something for you. First up, shelving. I love shelves because they're so versatile, they come in many different sizes and can fit any budget. You can buy already-made units or individual pieces, or have something custom fitted. You can have as many or as few shelves as you want, to fit your space, and can install them anywhere. Use deep shelves (like those below right) to keep less frequently used or out-of-season shoes in the back. As variations of shelving, shoe cubbies and shoe racks, are other great options. Shoe cubbies (like those below left) fit one pair of shoes in each square. The separation of the pairs helps keep things neat. If one shoe topples over, for example, it won't create a domino effect and topple over the others. Over-the-door shoe racks, like the one shown above right, are great for small spaces. They allow you to take advantage of vertical space and can be installed on most any door. If you prefer to have things more out of sight, you can install a wall rack and conceal it with a beautiful curtain (see below left). One of my absolute favorite ideas for hidden storage is a shoe ottoman. The Lilly Pulitzer Home Rousseau Ottoman, shown above right, is outfitted to store sixteen pairs. Perfect for spaces where every piece needs to do double-duty. I love that as a bonus it's lined with beautiful fabric in a colorful print for an unexpected surprise. Last but not least, boxes. Boxes are great for protecting shoes from dust. I recommend getting clear boxes that allow you to see what's inside, like those shown below... ...or boxes labeled with a photograph of the shoe that's inside: So tell me, what's your favorite idea for storing and organizing shoes? Is there an idea you've already tried and loved or maybe one that you hope to try? Til next time! -Arianna {image sources: 1-apartment therapy, 2-the coveteur, 3-liz caan, 4-apartment therapy, 5- lucky magazine, 6- neiman marcus, 7- better homes and gardens, 8-howard's storage world, 9- shelterness, 10- house and home}

14 comments:

Unknown said...

These are awesome ideas for shoe storage. Thanks!

Jami - XOimagine said...

I store my shoes in clear plastic shoe boxes and put a picture of them on the front so I can easily see what's inside them! It's just about the only organized item I have...lol!

XO - Jami
Imagine Design Blog

Amanda said...

if only my shoes look so neat and organized!!
xox
amanda

www.lovenycstyle.com

lifeloveluxe said...

A little shoe indulgence to start my day? Don't mind if I do! In my apartment, I bought a black french-doored cabinet to keep my shoes in. A little unexpected, but quite lovely!

Nuria said...

I love the shoe ottoman, I think it's a very original idea!

victoria | vmac+cheese said...

I have a big wall of open shelving in my home office that stores shoes. The shelves are high gloss white and it makes the space feel more boutique-y. Guests always comment on it. I love having such easy access to my kicks!

Great post, Arianna!

L.A. in the bay said...

i need shelves for my shoes! been trying to figure out how I want to do it with my small space!

Laurie from Laurie Jones Home said...

I use clear boxes for my shoes but it ends up being a pain getting them in and out of the box. So I guess I'm totally lazy!!! I'd love for you to do an article on purses, I'm doing my closet in January and I have way too many purses and not really sure what to do with them all!! (:

designchic said...

Great ideas...definitely need to perk my shoe closet up a little!!

Anonymous said...

oh mah gah. a shoe ottoman?! it must come live at my house.

deewardani said...

great idea for the ottoman!! I think I'll design one for myself

xoxo

http://deewardani.blogspot.com/

Shauna@Satori Design for Living said...

All great ideas! I love the ottoman!

Unknown said...

Ahhh, love this. The shoe ottoman is a really cool idea, but I like my shoes to be on display :) I like the shelves, too!

inspired2transform said...

My absolute favorite is the classic single shelving units! Just love how beautifully displayed they look! Makes them appear like new. I do however like the other clever ideas presented to store shoes! Takes a little creativity, but as long as it's done tastefully, it can be done:)